Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campsite recomendations

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I've been a bit of a holiday snob in the past and the thought of both holidaying in the UK and camping filled me with absolute horror.

But we gave it a go last year and it was absolutely stupendous.

We did a long weekend just outside Looe initially - getting the place from a 'Cool Camping' book that someone had bought us. I doubt anyone could have had a more ideallic first camping experience. We stayed at Bay View Farm which is a small campsite overlooking the South Cornish coast. The weather was wonderful and just chilling around the site - the beers, the BBQs, the sense of freedom that kids have (that otherwise seems lacking) was amazing and I didn't want to leave.

We then had a week in North Norfolk with friends later in the year. The weather was not so kind and the site was a lot bigger (can't remember which one now) but very well equipped and we still had a fantastic week. Again - the freedom for kids to make new mates and wander from the view of parents but remain safe is great for all.

Like your kids, Giraffe, mine has enjoyed some very nice holidays including the delights of Orlando but there is no need to spend thousands of pounds for the kids to have a good time, nor you either.

I'm a massive camping and UK holiday convert. Sadly we're unlikely to go camping this year as any day now we'll have a new baby and I think it's a bit anti-social to other campers to inflict that a new-born upon their otherwise peaceful nights.

I went to the one in Looe that Bozza is talking about the other week, and it is a great campsite.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Any been yet? How did it go? Just about to book for summer, hoping to get a pitch at Holland's Wood

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Any been yet? How did it go? Just about to book for summer, hoping to get a pitch at Holland's Wood

We went there the one weekend of good weather in May. If you are arriving Friday - get there mid-afternoon if possible to give yourself the chance of the best pitch. As you go in - go along the lane for a hundred yards or so then with a young family you want to go right and go down the side-lanes next to the meadow. There did used to be some areas that were dog-free that also may be a consideration. There are some pitches that are actually the meadow side of the access lane.

Good luck with the weather. Take the bikes if the kids are old enough. Also kites for the meadow. And swimming stuff for the kids for paddling in the stream the other side of the cricket pitch.

Fingers crossed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just got back from a lovely few days at Holland Park.

We got very lucky with the weather, very lucky!

We booked online so had our pitch reserved which was lucky too as it was he New Forest Show whilst we were there. Unless you intend to go this I would avoid going at this time as the Lyndhurst Road was always chocker as a result.

However I highly recommend Hollands Park. We got there about 1ish and had a good choice of pitches and even when it got busier later in the week it never felt like anyone was on top of us.

Horses wondering around was fun. All felt very secure. Brockenhurst is a shortish bike ride away and there are plenty of things to do in the area. But we mostly chilled in the campsites.

Toilet and shower facilities were good.

So overall a good first time experience.

Will be remembering a dust pan and brush next time though!!!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343479662.787577.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343479692.436269.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343479738.398847.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343479807.587491.jpg

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Try Hollands Wood at Brockenhurst. Some of our best family weekends were spent there. There is a meadow in front of the site for games, the site is large and there are lots of families. It is close to Brockhurst for chippies/chinese etc if you don't fancy cooking. You can walk there for the pubs. There is a small river nearby suitable for paddling. It has planty of toilets and showers (well enough anyway).

You can make some good memories for the kids there.

hollands wood is brilliant have been lots of times great for kids

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here