Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron comes of age

come on, you are not really that naive? the Labour govenment has suddenly come round to the project after 10 years, on the possible eve of an election (and a year before london election) now that tories have made it one of their solid commitments. of course the city should assist in the costs, but i the idea its a great triumph of Labour policy is laughably inaccurate. I get the impression the Corporation of London was told pay x now of it doesnt happen for another decade.

business doesnt need an agency to tell it how to be "lean": if it costs too much money it will go out of business. My dealings with agencies has been a great pain in the arse and nearly stopped me from bothering. i know someone who gets paid a pretty penny in a govenement agency that basically goes to meeting about what will be in next weeks meetings. then the money they have is not spent and rolled into the next initiative, announced to great fanfare by the minister, when really its the same old funding. Cynical? yep. but true, thats the way it is these days.

Sorry mate Ken, has been pursuing this for years, Blair was not totally for it.

TfL Ken's Transport advisors have had everything ready for years. Rightly or wrongly, the Goverment has been waiting for private money. Canary Wharf, BAA came up trumps a while ago, the City had agreed in principle but had to go due process. I imagine a few calls had to go to to assure a yes vote. But personally, I can't really see it a a vote changer in London.

I can cut an paste, TfL expenditure plans up until 2012 ans just on Olympic related projects, that totals alone £10 billion and includes refurbishment of 200 + stations. Ken has enough ammunition on Transport to defeat any opponent, unless they are against transport being strategically planned in London. And ignore all the increases in expenditure, passengers, buses, reduction in fares and the only transport system in the UK delivering more passengers year on year since 99.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
too true. Brown robbed the pension funds blind, and therefore us the pension holder, when he stole the tax rebate on dividends. what was it, 5Billion a year at the time? probably worth double that now. all other policies aside, this will be the one that has the longest lasting effect and its not good.

according to Alan Greenspan ( the worlds most respected financial wizard ) it should terrify us. this will effect our kids as well

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
he has destroyed the pensions of this nation single handedly and for that alone should be being condemned by everyone of working age on this site but very few people realise the extent of this robrery

come on, you are not really that naive? the Labour govenment has suddenly come round to the project after 10 years, on the possible eve of an election (and a year before london election) now that tories have made it one of their solid commitments. of course the city should assist in the costs, but i the idea its a great triumph of Labour policy is laughably inaccurate. I get the impression the Corporation of London was told pay x now of it doesnt happen for another decade.

business doesnt need an agency to tell it how to be "lean": if it costs too much money it will go out of business. My dealings with agencies has been a great pain in the arse and nearly stopped me from bothering. i know someone who gets paid a pretty penny in a govenement agency that basically goes to meeting about what will be in next weeks meetings. then the money they have is not spent and rolled into the next initiative, announced to great fanfare by the minister, when really its the same old funding. Cynical? yep. but true, thats the way it is these days.

Businesses are the worst people in identifying their weaknesses, their problems, how to improve. I know, its my job. We work with businesses, its their livilihood. They take on what they need, when they want. If a business isn't open to growth, to improvements then we move on to businesses that are interested.

I just worked with 200 businesses having to move, because of the Olympic Games. We and they had two years. Despite this major impact on them, we moved them all suceesfully, many took it up as an opportunity. Many with our help, upskilled their workforce, managers competances improved, we got firms to look at planning their busineses, we shorten production times, we helped to win orders, we helped to recruit new skilled staff, we helped them to reduce waste in production, in materials, we preserved 5000 jobs. And I tell you what there is not a private agency in the Country who could have done this job let alone successfully.

families have to give 40% of their hard earned inheritance in tax
Eh?

Speaking as someone who is currently paying a very modest proportion of what I've inherited as inheritance tax (thanks entirely to a windfall increase in the "value" of my mother's flat) , can I say that I didn't EARN a penny of my inheritance? Any earnings involved were my dad's, not mine.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Far too simplistic a view..

Bit rich you saying that when you've been taking comments made by "call me Dave" out of context and attributing all sorts of nonsense to him

First and foremost, it was WOMEN that got themselves the vote! An achievement helped by the First World War when many women took jobs formerly held by the men now away fighting. The contribution that women made to society and the war effort was eventually recognised by the Government although only partial enfranchisement was awarded in 1918.

As for the the Pankhursts, Emmeline was a member of the Independent Labour party (thus certainly not a rabid Tory!) and her daughter Sylvia was a communist.

Who said rabid Tory? Yes, she was a member of the ILP but renounced this AND her daughter's views and died before she could be selected as an official Conservative candidate. So that makes her a Tory.

Interestingly, the 1st woman mp was also a Tory. The first PM a Tory.

Just one of the articles on Emmeline:

http://www.vqronline.org/articles/2003/spring/rollyson-conservative-revolutionary/

Sorry if you lot don't like that. The truth is, there are people on here who pathologically hate the Tories and will listen to nothing by them because they've already made their minds up.

And they call themselves sophisticated, informed people.:nono:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
B
Interestingly, the 1st woman mp was also a Tory

Not wholly true. The first woman MP who took her seat was a Tory (Nancy Astor) but the first woman to be be elected as MP was Countess de Markievicz of Sinn Fein. She didn't take her seat though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not wholly true. The first woman MP who took her seat was a Tory (Nancy Astor) but the first woman to be be elected as MP was Countess de Markievicz of Sinn Fein. She didn't take her seat though.

fair dos. Certainly wasn't Labour though - as much as some people on this board would have loved it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
fair dos. Certainly wasn't Labour though - as much as some people on this board would have loved it.

True. Although Labour did have the first woman cabinet minister, Margaret Bondfield minister for Labour, in 1924

Bit rich you saying that when you've been taking comments made by "call me Dave" out of context and attributing all sorts of nonsense to him

Who said rabid Tory? Yes, she was a member of the ILP but renounced this AND her daughter's views and died before she could be selected as an official Conservative candidate. So that makes her a Tory.

Interestingly, the 1st woman mp was also a Tory. The first PM a Tory.

Just one of the articles on Emmeline:

http://www.vqronline.org/articles/2003/spring/rollyson-conservative-revolutionary/

Sorry if you lot don't like that. The truth is, there are people on here who pathologically hate the Tories and will listen to nothing by them because they've already made their minds up.

So according to her daughter she was becoming senile and she joined the tories...............

First Black and Ethnic minority MP? Was a Communist. It was only them and the ILP who seriously looked at women and non-British people as equals in the first part of the C20th . The Labour Party was built around, upon the Trade Union movement. Mainly men. And was still by the 1920's a very young party in history and development.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So according to her daughter she was becoming senile and she joined the tories...............

:clap2: WE HAVE A WINNER :clap2:

..1st person to betray their utterly stupid blind prejudice.

You've certainly won this time LC, but there's plenty more on this board so don't go getting complacent, eh?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
First Black and Ethnic minority MP? Was a Communist. It was only them and the ILP who seriously looked at women and non-British people as equals in the first part of the C20th . The Labour Party was built around, upon the Trade Union movement. Mainly men. And was still by the 1920's a very young party in history and development.

whereas the Tories did f*** all. Sigh...... you really are blinkered aren't you. Can't accept that the party you hate would give opportunities to women before the Labour Party.

I have no pathological hatred of Tories (although my grandad probably did). I worked for a Conservative controlled council for long enough to know that there are some very decent Tories out there, who are committed to public services. And there are some who aren't. I've also found myself engaged at various times in my career as an advisor to government ministers, both Conservative and Labour. With a couple of exceptions, both lots have impressed me.

What we are debating on this thread is policies, not people - in particular, David Cameron's headline policy statements on things like taxation. My view is that his proposals serve the interests of a very narrow segment of the population and that Uncle Spielberg (and others) are simply WRONG to think that they will offer much to ordinary people.

The question is, of course, how long it will take people to realise this. If he can fool most of the people for long enough, he might win an election. If he can't (and I don't think he can) he will lose.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
And the fact that I resent your assertion that if you vote Labour, you are 'uneducated', says what, exactly, about my 'politics'?

Read it again.
i didn't say ALL labour voters are uneducated, although god knows Labour are trying hard enough to make that so.

I was attempting to get the point across that there are a proportion of those who vote labour who swallow this "must spend billions on schools and hospitals" propoganda, hook line and sinker.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
massive levels of personal debt, depletion of our armed forces, the relentless increase in casual labour and short-term contract jobs (undermining any sense of stabillity for families and communities), huge increases in the cost of basic utilities, the whole 'new deal' fiasco, council tax bills rising way ahead of inflation, the shambles in the pensions industry brought about by Gordon Brown raiding billions of pounds from our savings, failure to address the issue of Scottish votes in English issues, further erosion of any trust in our politicians through constant spin, lies and personal attacks...

*cough*

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I would point you towards a hospital, but I am unsure of which of the local hospitals are still operating and admitting patients.

our nearest 24hr casualty department is now a 30 minute drive away as the two that were much nearer have been closed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here