Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camberwell fire.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Genuinely terrifying - this is less than a mile from where I live (and have been all evening). 5 floors ablaze - there is simply no escape if you're any higher up...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Basically you are f***ed if you live in a block of flats and there is a fire underneath you with only one exit that is cut off by smoke and flames.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Basically you are f***ed if you live in a block of flats and there is a fire underneath you with only one exit that is cut off by smoke and flames.

True for older buildings, but with todays Building Regulation blocks of flats have quite stringent requirements for fire escape routes - maximum travel distances (both within flats and communal corridors), fire doors, fire stopping of cavities and other voids to prevent undetected spread of fire, automatic smoke venting (linked to detection systems), ventilation of stairwells (operable by the fire service prior to entry to the building), provision of dry risers (enabling a pump appliance to reach the point of fire without hoses having to be dragged through the building), wet risers (if required, relying on mains water connection or storage tanks within the building).

I've even designed and had constructed a block of apartments in Leatherhead with contained residential sprinlker systems within the flat to automatically activate if a fire breaks out (apparently it was the first residential scheme in Surrey to include this provision!).

Unfortunately, these requirements didn't exist in the 60/70's and there will always be a risk of thissort of thing happening in buildings of their age. What's happened is a terrible waste of life - the building owners really need to look at themselves to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Tom,fair point. However why do we build block of flats/apartments when we know the fire service can't use ladders above 5? floors and when a fire does break-out its like tunnels filled with smoke. :albion2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I once lived in a block of flats when my kids were small. It only had one exit, through the front door, so I bought a long length of rope which I kept in the back room in case of a fire or other emergency. Seemed like common sense to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Says the man who saw fit to make jokes about a sixteen year old boy being electrocuted on railway tracks at burgess hill, a bit too late for all this moral superiority wouldn't you say?.... Fella

Is that the kiddie that ran across the tracks at BH station on New Years Eve, not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES, stripping to his kecks for his grand finale lap of honour? Sorry, matey, I come from railway stock, have seen too many broken train drivers nerves permanently shot to pieces in the railway social clubs due to pricks on the tracks. For sure, somebody owed that kid a duty of care. Oh, and also owed a duty of care to the daft girlies who crossed the tracks in the exact same spot some three weeks later - as they were equally incapable of normal thought patterns. UNBELIEVABLE. OK, it's a tad DARWINIAN, but in the end its always going to end up 1-0 to the electricity. Sorry and all that. Fella.

Got any Albion football threads you'd like to contribute to sometime?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Is that the kiddie that ran across the tracks at BH station on New Years Eve, not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES, stripping to his kecks for his grand finale lap of honour? Sorry, matey, I come from railway stock, have seen too many broken train drivers nerves permanently shot to pieces in the railway social clubs due to pricks on the tracks. For sure, somebody owed that kid a duty of care. Oh, and also owed a duty of care to the daft girlies who crossed the tracks in the exact same spot some three weeks later - as they were equally incapable of normal thought patterns. UNBELIEVABLE. OK, it's a tad DARWINIAN, but in the end its always going to end up 1-0 to the electricity. Sorry and all that. Fella.

Got any Albion football threads you'd like to contribute to sometime?
How very convenient that you suddenly find that you come from railway stock , I'm surprised you didn't mention it in the original post, and you've " seen too many broken train drivers, nerves permanently shot to pieces
In the railway social clubs" , you coldnt have posted a more melodramatic load of bollocks if you'd tried, in other words, do me a favour mate .

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I once lived in a block of flats when my kids were small. It only had one exit, through the front door, so I bought a long length of rope which I kept in the back room in case of a fire or other emergency. Seemed like common sense to me.

Before I saw this message I was going to say EVERYONE that lives high up in a block of flats should purchase a MASSIVE rope ladder, or even a bit of rope. Might cost a chunk, but its a one off payment that could save your life.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How very convenient that you suddenly find that you come from railway stock , I'm surprised you didn't mention it in the original post, and you've " seen too many broken train drivers, nerves permanently shot to pieces
In the railway social clubs" , you coldnt have posted a more melodramatic load of bollocks if you'd tried, in other words, do me a favour mate .

Pretty sure I've heard THPP mention his family's railway bg before.:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here