Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all NSC Guitarists

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I struggle these days to busk with my piano - you wont' believe the grief I get trying to get it on the bus from shoreham....

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
where would people suggest getting decent tabs off the net? - alot of stuff i've downloaded is incorrect according to friend back home - who alas cannot give me lessons from 100 miles away!

just picked up guitar for first time in a month and my fingers hurt after just a few minutes!!! and any slim skill i had with barre chords has completely deserted me too - fuckin guitar!!!! suppose it'll be worth it all in the end.... assuming i can get better!!!

any recommendations for beginner type strum/pickin tunes
my repertoire so far is 'hide your love away', 'blackbird' by beatles and 'sad song' by oasis - other than that, it's all pretty bitty!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Rich Suvner said:
where would people suggest getting decent tabs off the net? - alot of stuff i've downloaded is incorrect according to friend back home - who alas cannot give me lessons from 100 miles away!

just picked up guitar for first time in a month and my fingers hurt after just a few minutes!!! and any slim skill i had with barre chords has completely deserted me too - fuckin guitar!!!! suppose it'll be worth it all in the end.... assuming i can get better!!!

any recommendations for beginner type strum/pickin tunes
my repertoire so far is 'hide your love away', 'blackbird' by beatles and 'sad song' by oasis - other than that, it's all pretty bitty!

http://www.tabrobot.com searches the most common.

An obvious recommendation would be Wonderwall by Oasis. Otherwise try Fields of Gold - Sting, and/or Stairway to Heaven will get your fingers working.

About individual tunes, I'd recommend going for songs that require loads of 'feel', like ferrinstance if you are going for Clapton try 'Running On Faith'.
Knopfler-heads might prefer 'Romeo and Juliet' , which is nice and slow.
For the attempt on Everest though, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 'Need Your Love So Bad' or 'Man of The World'.

Speed and levels of difficulty pale in comparison to feel, if you ask me.

I particularly enjoyed learning 'The Year of The Cat' which has some lovely guitarwork by Tim Renwick - an unsung genius of guitar who played with Quiver and Sutherland Brothers, and more recently Pink Floyd (on record and live).

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My current weapon of choice is a Fender Japan 62 Reissue strat with a lovely Maple neck. Standard trem but a Dimarzio HS3 stacked humbucker in the bridge position. My amp is just a little Fender Sidekick 25 but mainly i play it direct through headphones from an amp simulator on my multi effects pedal which is a Zoom 3030.

I don't play half as much these days anf have gone a bit stale. A very average guitar player and mainly self taught by my own ear and tabs of the net. I've concluded that to get really good and to be able to play a range of styles some proper musical theory is required.

As my nick suggest i'm a major fan rock fan. Being a fan of twin guitars i particularly love Thin Lizzy & Iron Maiden.

If its virtuoso guitar playing you in to then check out Yngwie Malmsteen. Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. Their G3 concert is awesome if perhaps a tad self indulgent.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My other half plays a either a Rickenbacker or a Gibson Les Paul, either with a Vox AC30 or an original Orange...

BASS - the music of gods :cool: :angel:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If we're going for kit lists...

My son plays an Epiphone Les Paul Studio, usually through his Line6 Uber Metal pedal and Boss GT3 effects processor. Bedroom practice is through headphones or a 30watt Fat Rat combo.

His choice of music ranges from The Darkness to Metallica, and include lots of ancient stuff like Led Zep, AD/DC and Hendrix.

I play bass (not very well) and we have a 700watt PA in the garage and a drum kit to 'entertain' the neighbourhood !

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just taught myself to play the solo out of Black Sabbath's Paranoid. The intro riff of this song is also dead easy to play and sounds really cool IMHO, however playing it will get you thrown out of most music shops in the country (as will playing Stairway).

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
For lead guitarists unaware of it's existence, the free Windows software 'Power Tab' is brilliant. You get a sheet music editor and a worldwide base of songs including full tabs (bass and lead, often with backing). When you play back a song a cursor follows the music through in front of your very eyes. You can even change the speed of the music if you can't keep up. You can print off any tabs (!) including any ones you've written yourself. For a freebie it's superb. Frankly, I don't know how they get away with it as I reckon a lot of tabs are transcribed straight from books they're so good. You can download the software from http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php and tabs from elsewhere on the site but there are loads of affiliated sites such as http://www.powertabs.net which is an archive of tabs. I especially use http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk which is a UK guy who provides regularly good tab's.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Dick Knights Mum said:
Puff the Magic Dragon

(G) Puff the magic Dra(Bm)gon,
(C)Lived by the sea (G)
A(C)nd frollic-ed in the
au(G)tu(G7)mn (Em) mist
(C)in the land called (D) honerley (G)

repeat

Little Jackie paper,