Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all NSC Guitarists

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Muzzman said:
It's probably because I have small hands but does anyone else find bar chords bloody irritating?

Depends where.

Any higher than 12th is very annoying.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Biscuit said:
Romeo and Juliet is great because you can strum away and then add a bit of picking just after the chorus. Only problem is I've lost my capo! :cry: (needs to bar 5th fret)

Ah well, if you're not averse to a bit of the Straits, I pretty taught myself to play lead guitar by learning Sultans Of Swing, as well most of the first two Led Zep albums and a bit of Django Reinhardt (a superb albeit dead Gypsy jazz guitarist). I know they're a bit naff but Knopfler's lead guitar playing is brilliant - better than Clapton IMHO.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Biscuit said:
I play both electric and accoustic.

Got a nice condition Squire Strat. (Not as good as Fender but I'm skint) My accoustic isn't steel strings, but I'm saving for one! Just a nice classical that a friend of the family gave me when my first broke.

I'll see what I can do with blood on the tracks, but Ive got a dire straits tab book so am working my way through that.

Romeo and Juliet is great because you can strum away and then add a bit of picking just after the chorus. Only problem is I've lost my capo! :cry: (needs to bar 5th fret)

During my Ebay guitar fiasco last Summer, my prize buy was a £400 Gibson accoustic copy for just under £40!!! I won't mention the crap boxes I bought as well (including one with two broken tuning keys)!!!!
But if you look and time your bid you can pick up a fantastic accoustic guitar on Ebay.

For Dire Straits ... try Tunnel of Love or Sultans of Swing

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Biscuit said:
Depends where.

Any higher than 12th is very annoying.

That's weird I find the higher I go.. 10th upwards.. the easier it is.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Man of Harveys said:
Ah well, if you're not averse to a bit of the Straits, I pretty taught myself to play lead guitar by learning Sultans Of Swing, as well most of the first two Led Zep albums and a bit of Django Reinhardt (a superb albeit dead Gypsy jazz guitarist). I know they're a bit naff but Knopfler's lead guitar playing is brilliant - better than Clapton IMHO.

I take my hat off.

The lead to Sultans of swing is a very tricky piece of guitar work. I hate the bit after "but its strickly rhythm, he doesn't wana make cry of sing.."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Muzzman said:
That's weird I find the higher I go.. 10th upwards.. the easier it is.

Depends so much on the guitar, I think. That's why it's good to suffer the screaming agony of an acoustic steel-strung to start off while you're building up the finger muscles - any electric guitar or even a nylon strung acoustic feels like a Fisher Price guitar after that.

I'd also really recommend learning to read music - I played the guitar for years without being able to but it's like opening up another world when you can. And, like riding a bike or reading normal letters, once you can do it, you never forget.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
IMHO

The best guitar solo, which I have never tried but would love to, is Clapton's solo in Roger Waters The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking ... sounds superb, but also complicated

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Man of Harveys said:
Depends so much on the guitar, I think. That's why it's good to suffer the screaming agony of an acoustic steel-strung to start off while you're building up the finger muscles - any electric guitar or even a nylon strung acoustic feels like a Fisher Price guitar after that.

I'd also really recommend learning to read music - I played the guitar for years without being able to but it's like opening up another world when you can. And, like riding a bike or reading normal letters, once you can do it, you never forget.

I wish I could read music - tried many times but guess I am too thick or just stave blind! Played guitar for 30 years and either learn by ear or by tabs and chord symbols ...

I can understand what you mean about opening up another world ... just wish I could get close!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Man of Harveys said:

I can read tabs and 'internet scores' but because I taught myself guitar I have no idea how to play the fly shit. I realy should learn I guess.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Biscuit said:
I hate the bit after "but its strickly rhythm, he doesn't wana make cry of sing.."

That song is all "just" (ahem) chord shapes in different positions. The intro for example is just noodling (and that is the correct musical term for it) around D minor with an A minor shape chord at the 5th fret. That tricky lead bit you mention is all based around an open C shape with the little finger on the 12 fret, so in effect it's A major. That song is basically very much similar to flamenco, oddly enough.

Sorry, this is probably of minimal interest to, well, absolutely anyone at all.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Man of Harveys said:
That song is all "just" (ahem) chord shapes in different positions. The intro for example is just noodling (and that is the correct musical term for it) around D minor with an A minor shape chord at the 5th fret. That tricky lead bit you mention is all based around an open C shape with the little finger on the 12 fret, so in effect it's A major. That song is basically very much similar to flamenco, oddly enough.

Sorry, this is probably of minimal interest to, well, absolutely anyone at all.

If my memory serves me, Knopfler plays it with bare fingers without a pick .... or has my memory completely siezed up

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
My air guitar got me my current girlfriend,can i join in?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
On the Left Wing said:
If my memory serves me, Knopfler plays it with bare fingers without a pick .... or has my memory completely siezed up

You're right, he always just picks it (his guitar AND his nose) with his right hand and without a plectrum, often just at three strings (as in the chordy bit immediately after "we are the Sultans, we are the Sultans of Swing").

I met Mark Knopfler once at Uni. I'd spent a long time trying to play the guitar like him and my god was he an arrogant twat in person.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Brixtaan said:
My air guitar got me my current girlfriend,can i join in?

Please do, the rest of it is sending me to sleep (and that's coming from a guitarist).

Go for a bit of decent country for a change and check out anything by Chuck Prophet/Green on Red. Failing that turn everything up to 11 and try and re-create any Thin White Rope feedback guitar singing, beautiful.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I can't read music, its totally illogical to my mechanical brain, my ears work well though

not so sure about guitars, but Thin Lizzy Boys are back in town is great to play on the bass

Now I'm here by queen is great for guitar and bass (monster riff)

if you've got that 'fat sound' them Otis Redding, Booker T type stuff is great to play along to as well

Gibson Les paul Bass, low slung, and Free's walk in my shadow . . . . .rock on !:rolleyes:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yeah I can only read tabs myself!

OTLW - re: guitar solo's.

Try Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight'. The solo is easy and sounds great!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I used to be able to read music when I was taught piano as a nipper but I forgot it. Self taught guitar and bass. Went to a guitar teacher and he said "I don't want to teach you anymore as you've got your own style and I could ruin it". Bless him, I think he just wanted to suck my knob though.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hungry Joe said:
I used to be able to read music when I was taught piano as a nipper but I forgot it. Self taught guitar and bass. Went to a guitar teacher and he said "I don't want to teach you anymore as you've got your own style and I could ruin it". Bless him, I think he just wanted to suck my knob though.

I had a guitar teacher like that ..... but I let her

:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here