Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all disgruntled lager Drinkers - Get Kronenbourg served again at the Amex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is what I don't understand. I love a pint of lager but wouldn't drink the usual suspects.

Meantime London Lager was the beer I was drinking at the weekend. Lovely pint.

Not gonna get that at Amex.

:thumbsup:

Excellent choice and firm a favourite in the Tubthumper household. Very smooth isnt it? They are an excellent brewery. I'd also recommend their Bavarian wheat beer called Helles and their Koln style beer which I think is called Kolsher. Their pacific Pale Ale is stunning if you like ales.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I really don't care for 5% plus lagers, hence I do indeed drink, and enjoy Fosters/Carling/Carlsberg etc when I fancy a cold beer on a hot day. Don't get Me wrong, I am an avid real ale drinker too, but I just don't go for lager that strong. Amstel is a nice drop, but expensive.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This beer snobery is really rather dull and incredibly predictable. Btw i work in the drinks industry and do prefer ale to lager but i cannot work out why ale drinkers feel the need to always have a pop at lager drinkers.

cos what you get on draught in this country is invariably disgustingly revolting sweet muck.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Excellent choice and firm a favourite in the Tubthumper household. Very smooth isnt it? They are an excellent brewery. I'd also recommend their Bavarian wheat beer called Helles and their Koln style beer which I think is called Kolsher. Their pacific Pale Ale is stunning if you like ales.

We could have adapt the name here by replacing the first "p" with an "i" to the name to make it a relevant Albion beer

K%F6lsch_K%FCppers.jpg
and possibly this one as well
61v2FomZ58L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kölsch (also spelled Koelsch) is a local beer specialty that is brewed in Cologne, Germany. It is a clear beer with a bright, straw-yellow hue, and has a prominent, but not extreme, hoppiness. It is less bitter than the standard German pale lager.

Kölsch is warm-fermented at a temperature around 13 to 21°C (55 to 70°F) and then cold-conditioned, or lagered.[1] This manner of fermentation links Kölsch with some other beer styles of central northern Europe, such as the Altbiers of northern Germany and the Netherlands.

Kölsch is strictly defined by the Kölsch Konvention, an agreement between the members of the Cologne Brewery Association. It is a pale, highly attenuated, hoppy, clear, top-fermenting beer with an original gravity of between 11 and 16 degrees Plato (1.044—1.065). In practice almost all Kölsch brands have a very similar gravity near the middle of this range

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have emailed Elliott and had a response within 41 minutes inviting me to meet him and discuss the situation. Just wondering if anyone else has emailed him and been invited to meet him, or whether I am going to be the voice of the Brighton and Hove Albion premium lager drinkers! :ohmy:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Perhaps one of the issues with Kronenbourg is its strength. Personally I don't drink pints of premium lager at lunchtime, and certainly not if I'm driving later. A sneaky Harveys or 4% lager is a a different proposition. Maybe others feel the same.

For what it's worth, I think Kronenbourg is foul. I'd choose Beck's over it any day of the week if I want a 5% lager and avoid both if Samuel Smith's lager was available.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I couldn't bring myself to drink Fosters last night so I took the bold step and tried Harveys for the first time. The taste was fine actually, but the tempature wasn't! - perhaps it'll be better when winter sets in.

I'm sure that Kronenbourg WAS available in Dick's Bar last night - someone asked one of the bar staff why it wasn't on sale elsewhere at the stadium. She didn't know it wasn't.

I was drinking Harvey's, but the Dark Star was selling well - and being pushed by the staff.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield

Camden Helles is sold in The Welly in Shoreham, as an ale man myself it is a BEAUTIFUL refreshing pint. But then they could serve me liquified turd in the Welly and I'd probably drink it - love the pub, love the beer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very much this.

And Fosters is a very odd choice. How many people actually have this cooking lager as their first choice? I cannot actually think of any pubs where I have seen it. In fact, the only place I have seen it is piled high and very cheap in Tesco.

Further, I really do not buy this idea that Kronenbourg has been taken off due to poor sales. Bozza makes a valid point in that Azure cannot have any meaningful demand figures. My view is the amount they have left is more down to their inadequacies than custom.

I will also draw a distinction between the staff I have met, spoken to and dealt with. The staff seem to be doing the best they can in very difficult circumstances...my annoyance is directed at the clowns at the top.

Choice is fine, but Fosters is my first choice and my local sells it. Why do all the beer snobs have to try and spoil it for the Fosters fans?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Make sure you take a couple of minutes to send an e-mail otherwise this is all a waste of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here