Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon DIVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ANYONE who has ever PLAYED football, and by this I mean ANY LEVEL (even park footy) will know that if you are running FULL PACE and you see the keeper collapse in front of you, you WILL begin to prepare to be fouled before it happens. This is not a 'dive', it's a completely natural reaction.

It is self protection. The last thing you want is for one of you legs to be braced on the ground and get it whacked.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The commentator (a neutral) thought pretty much the same as all of us at the time. Penalty and a red card for the keeper - and the replays fully backed it up. Keeper was beaten, stuck his foot up, penalty.

Just watched it on I-player, clear penalty. The keeper rushes out gets nowhere near the ball and Calde goes down. I really cannot understand the problem here.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Jesus! SEVEN pages of this? It WASN'T a penalty, the ref didn't give it, if he had given it it would have been a penalty

I don't dispute that it wash't a penalty and it did not stop us winning so what better time to discuss the interpretation of the laws. In my opinion with the benefit of action replays and slow motion I think it should not have been. Luckily we have this forum to chat endlessly about football-related issues.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ANYONE who has ever PLAYED football, and by this I mean ANY LEVEL (even park footy) will know that if you are running FULL PACE and you see the keeper collapse in front of you, you WILL begin to prepare to be fouled before it happens.

Personally, I'd swerve around the 'keeper. Or maybe dink it over him.

How any of you can STILL argue it wasn't a penalty is beyond me. The keeper has chraged out and MISSED the ball = CARELESS. He has then made contact with Calderon at the same time as the on rushing player has seen the keepr and braced himself, thus falling about 3 meters away from being CLIPPED. There is CONTACT and if there is the ref cannot under any circumstances book Calderon as it is against FIFA rules and regulations. FACT is, personal opinions aside as it appears people are just defending what THEY perceive as a dive/penalty, it was indeed a Brighton penalty. I saw it first hand and straight away on the video. PENALTY. No DIVE.

Andy Durso should no longer cease to exist as a ref anyway. Obviously not based on Tuedays games but the fact he never got round to sending Larsson off who I counted fouled are players EIGHT times and didn't even give a free kick when Sessengone (spelling) studded Painter in the shin high footed and for the absurd reason why we ended up with 3 of our players booked and only one of there's. Utter WANK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How any of you can STILL argue it wasn't a penalty is beyond me. The keeper has chraged out and MISSED the ball = CARELESS. He has then made contact with Calderon at the same time as the on rushing player has seen the keepr and braced himself, thus falling about 3 meters away from being CLIPPED. There is CONTACT and if there is the ref cannot under any circumstances book Calderon as it is against FIFA rules and regulations. FACT is, personal opinions aside as it appears people are just defending what THEY perceive as a dive/penalty, it was indeed a Brighton penalty. I saw it first hand and straight away on the video. PENALTY. No DIVE.

Andy Durso should no longer cease to exist as a ref anyway. Obviously not based on Tuedays games but the fact he never got round to sending Larsson off who I counted fouled are players EIGHT times and didn't even give a free kick when Sessengone (spelling) studded Painter in the shin high footed and for the absurd reason why we ended up with 3 of our players booked and only one of there's. Utter WANK.

Dived

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To be fair, I don't think many are still arguing it wasn't a penalty. It looks about 85% here think it was a pen, to 15% who don't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yea right. Herr T. If you could have done that in Calderon's position you could have been one of the greats.

I once played on the plastic pitch which was at Loftus Road you know.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Even after we've all watched it 20 times, there's no consensus. But Gyan's over-the-top assault on Marcos Painter near the end was nailed-on, and D'Urso did nothing, just watched Connor Wickham shoot over the crossbar. Of course, if he'd continued looking in that direction, he's have seen the replay on the big screen and realised what had happened ...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Ok. At the time from my view in the East stand I instantly thought it was a stonewall pen... After seeing SSN I wasn't so sure.. Now seen it on iplayer and go back to my initial decision of definite pen...

The keeper was rash and got nowhere near the ball making only a slight touch on the player.. Calde had a goalscoring opportunity with the ball under control and therefore had no reason to go down.. My only concern would be that he did very much make a meal of it and that's why D'urso didn't give it, and booked him for simulation..

Justice was done by the end result and hopefully a lesson learned by Calde..

IMO, most refs would have given it!

Have we appealed the card? If so that would give me more than enough proof that contact was made by the keeper.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even after we've all watched it 20 times, there's no consensus. But Gyan's over-the-top assault on Marcos Painter near the end was nailed-on, and D'Urso did nothing, just watched Connor Wickham shoot over the crossbar. Of course, if he'd continued looking in that direction, he's have seen the replay on the big screen and realised what had happened ...

Looking at this thread, I'd say there was a concensus. The overwhelming majority say penalty. One or two disagree. A consensus doesn't have to be unanimous.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Unless the rules have changed you cannot appeal against a yellow card - otherwise Lua Lua's would surely be recinded in the Donny game.

You're probably correct.. And I haven't heard anything in any post match interviews from IC or Gus about the incident... But I still think it was a pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here