Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
For me, it was a stone cold pen. But what about Calde, has he said anything about it? Also, are the club going to appeal against the booking as they did successfully with Kaz?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me, it was a stone cold pen. But what about Calde, has he said anything about it? Also, are the club going to appeal against the booking as they did successfully with Kaz?

Did they? I thought you couldn't appeal yellow cards?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No doubt he will say 'there was contact'

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And I do not think the keeper was doing this either. Contact was made but I really cannot see where the claim for the penalty comes from.

Because there's no way to trip someone that isn't either deliberate or careless?

Even if you want to argue diving out and not making any effort to avoid your legs tripping over an onrushing at pace player isn't careless, tripping someone in similar ways is frequently a free kick, I'm thinking spcifically when the player with the ball runs across the path of a defender trying to get back. The defender does his best to avoid contact, is trying to carefully avoid it, but catches the guy with ball incidentally. So frequently given as a free kick. It is as careless as the keepers was with Calderon, it's not wreckless, it's not excessive force, it's not deliberate, but is most frequently given as a free kick. Most of the time that's without denying a clear goal soring opportunity, without a player spreading their body over as big a space as they can while sliding around unable to stop themselves should they miss the ball or the player make a quite predicatable turn.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it had been rescinded on appeal.

Maybe they asked the ref to look at it again and he corrected his mistake in his match report? I just had a brief look in the news section of seagulls.co.uk and saw nothing in their news headlines, and nothing on the argus website.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But this comes down to the careless/reckless point. A keeper is entitled to come out and defend a ball as long as it is not careless/reckless etc. Contact is allowed, but it has to be within certain parameters. If the keeper looked as though he was about to scythe the player down carelessly/recklessly etc then it's a clear pen. In my mind this is not what happened. I did not see a careless/reckless challenge and therefore I would not be able to give a penalty.

The keeper needs to make sure he gets the ball. If he misses the ball and upends the man I am not sure the intent is that relevant. I will have a look at the rules at some point.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bearing in mind Calde is quite prolific in front of goal I dont think he would have dived. No point.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
The traditional past-tense form of dive is dived. Although dove is common in speech, it's probably safer to stick with dived in writing.

verb conjugation is :

to dive I dive; you dive; he, she, it dives; we dive; you dive; they dive I dived/dove; you dived/dove; he, she, it dived/dove; we dived/dove; you dived/dove; they dived/dove dived/dove (Ex: They have dived too deep.)

Here.

Blimey Biscuit, that is impressively authoritative. I withdraw my peeve. Clearly I have been sullied by too much time in The Colonies.
Cheers!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Why dive when scoring is easier?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ANYONE who has ever PLAYED football, and by this I mean ANY LEVEL (even park footy) will know that if you are running FULL PACE and you see the keeper collapse in front of you, you WILL begin to prepare to be fouled before it happens. This is not a 'dive', it's a completely natural reaction.

The vast amount of penaltys come from a player kicking the ball JUST before the keeper clatters them. If you actually look at where the ball is kicked before the foul then it shows CLEARLY that the player had already accepted they were about to be clattered.

Calde's was the same in my opinion. He KNEW he would be fouled if he stayed standing, so the natural reaction of the legs is to go together and prepare to be clattered. In doing so you begin to fall, in theory, before contact is made.

Lampard had a very similar 2 weeks ago against Stoke. He began to fall in advance of being clattered. It wasn't a 'dive' but the ref didnt give it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The commentator (a neutral) thought pretty much the same as all of us at the time. Penalty and a red card for the keeper - and the replays fully backed it up. Keeper was beaten, stuck his foot up, penalty.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why dive when scoring is easier?

Calderon took the decision to tap the ball to his left, and across the keeper, just before the keeper was right up close. The Sunderland number 29 had just made up the ground and had this area covered, with another defender on the outside and another coming into position on the left. There was still some work to do. Lifting your legs up and trying your chances from the spot is easy in comparison.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Never mind, maybe next time we will get one thats 50/50 at best given in a game in which we need really need it...the way we play and the flair and pace we have in abundance is going to lead to many pens this season I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here