Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cabaye charged by FA for El-Abd kick

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Didn't see the tackle clearly on Sat as I sit in East Family and was too far away, watched the game at home later & it looked a nasty petulant kick out. Glad the FA have acted. As for Barnes, what planet is that guy on if he doesn't think that was a nasty deliberate kick out?.....shame as I've always respected him.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yes it was bad,but we won,any banning of Cabeye will have no effect on us now,move on...even El said it was not worth the bother,let's move on....

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If anyone is in doubt whether it was a deliberate kick, look at Cabaye's face, aggression all over it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was deliberate I'm sure. But you can't be sure he was trying to kick him in the face.

Looked to me like he was trying to kick el abd's legs away, to avoid getting tangled up, but because they were both rolling he missed and caught adam's face instead. But like you say, it's still a deliberate kick.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
John Barnes' comments after the game on ESPN about this incident made himself look a fool; he was clutching at straws trying to get something out of the game.
He has plummeted in my estimation.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Good on the FA.
I was amazed at some of the pro-Newcastle comments on ESPN. Piss poor of them getting an ex-Newcastle player and a lifelong Geordie doing the analysis.
Barnes' claim that if "every challenge like that is punished with a red card, every game will end up 7-a-side" was ludicrous. Harper also came across as a bitter, deluded arsehole to me.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm clearly in the minority thinking that Baloltellis was worse. He stamped downwards, very deliberately aimed at Parkers head. Cabayes was a kick out yes, but just in El Abds general direction which happened to be his face - he wasn't looking where he was kicking out to, and it wasn't downwards like Balotellis.

Still should have been a red if had been seen, and he stands no chance of not getting a 3 match ban at least. Proper nawty.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
U can understand Waddle being biased...NUFC through and through, what a player he was though, a french friend of mine showed me a montage of him playing in France on youtube...absolutely outstanding, and a legend to this day in the south of France! Not got a link, but try and check it out!
No good at penalties though.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If anyone is in doubt whether it was a deliberate kick, look at Cabaye's face, aggression all over it.

This.

Fair play to the ref saying he'll review the video though. Right result.

El-Abd is an absolute BASTARD to play against, constant digging in the ribs, proding, pinching. And so often players react...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This.

Fair play to the ref saying he'll review the video though. Right result.

El-Abd is an absolute BASTARD to play against, constant digging in the ribs, proding, pinching. And so often players react...

Good at it as well!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
so kicking him anywhere else would've been acceptable? ???

No but when people compare it to Balotelli who deliberately stamped down on a man's face, I think the comparison fails. I've never said it wasn't a kick nor that it was anything other than deliberate. All I have suggested is that it is not as clear cut or as patently malicious as Balotelli.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm clearly in the minority thinking that Baloltellis was worse. He stamped downwards, very deliberately aimed at Parkers head. Cabayes was a kick out yes, but just in El Abds general direction which happened to be his face - he wasn't looking where he was kicking out to, and it wasn't downwards like Balotellis.

Still should have been a red if had been seen, and he stands no chance of not getting a 3 match ban at least. Proper nawty.

Balotelli was stood up when he kicked out, and he wasn't looking at parker, so to say he deliberately aimed at parker's head you have to be inside balotellis mind. You can't know that. Balotelli was landing and turning and tripped over a body, someone put their hand on his back, he felt something on his leg.

He kicked out. Much like Cabaye.

I believe both were kicking out without aiming for the head of their opponent. I thought balotelli maybe felt someone was trying to trip him again (having tripped as he landed and was trying to steady himself, then felt a hand on his back and something on his leg) and was kicking back at them to stop it. I thought cabaye was trying to kick out at el abds legs to stop them becoming entangled.

I think balotelli landing and turning and trying to steady himself as he kicked out gave his a bit more purchase, whereas cabaye was on his back sliding away from el abd.

But of course, I'm not going to say that is the case. Only cabaye and balotelli know what they were targeting with their kicks. But that is how I saw the incidents. I don't know that I would say either is worse through intent. I'd think balotelli's was worse through what they actually did - because he got more force in his standing motion, and because he was closer the potential for more serious damage is there, whereas cabaye's leg was almost fully extended and only just reached el abd's mouth, and because of their movement his force of contact was limited.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This was definitely worse than Balotelli's. Far more intent and aggression there, and much more likely that he knew it was El Abd's face.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lee Ryder's Twitter - Pardew feels Ray Stubbs whipped up hysteria around Cabaye incident and FA action

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here