Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

C Palace 11,865........Crawley 2,862

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Who cares about attendances at other clubs? It's cringeworthy after every single game.

Seeing as this is a forum for football debate and banter it would logically be a constant item for discussion. This board is full of threads relating to people leaving early, make up of attendance etc, etc.

We are also infected by Palace constantly goading us about our "plastic" fans - so they fact that they are getting woeful attendances at a time when their team is doing well is topical - don't you think?

The success of local rivals Aldershot & Crawley is obviously drawing fans away from Selhurst - longer may it continue.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as this is a forum for football debate and banter it would logically be a constant item for discussion. This board is full of threads relating to people leaving early, make up of attendance etc, etc.

We are also infected by Palace constantly goading us about our "plastic" fans - so they fact that they are getting woeful attendances at a time when their team is doing well is topical - don't you think?

The success of local rivals Aldershot & Crawley is obviously drawing fans away from Selhurst - longer may it continue.
Yeah, but we get it after EVERY SINGLE GAME. When we've been in this division as long as Palace have and when the novelty of the Amex has worn off, I wonder what sort of crowds we'd get to see what was largely a reserve match - especially as it was in a competition which many of our fans have said they don't give a toss about.

If we're still getting 20,000 then we can gloat, but at the moment it's just making us look like a load of kids showing off a new toy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, but we get it after EVERY SINGLE GAME. When we've been in this division as long as Palace have and when the novelty of the Amex has worn off, I wonder what sort of crowds we'd get to see what was largely a reserve match - especially as it was in a competition which many of our fans have said they don't give a toss about.

If we're still getting 20,000 then we can gloat, but at the moment it's just making us look like a load of kids showing off a new toy.

Brovian are you sure you're not a Palace fan? It doesn't matter what you actually think - you're not supposed to support their arguments! I would like to think that we'd get more than 9k home fans for a latter stages Carling Cup round game, no matter how many weeks, years or decades we've been at the Amex at that point. Do you really have so little faith in our club's support?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brovian are you sure you're not a Palace fan? It doesn't matter what you actually think - you're not supposed to support their arguments! I would like to think that we'd get more than 9k home fans for a latter stages Carling Cup round game, no matter how many weeks, years or decades we've been at the Amex at that point. Do you really have so little faith in our club's support?
In a word - yes! At the end of the day Brighton fans are no better or worse than those of any other club, including Palace and I still remember how quickly the novelty wore off when we reached the old 1st division. I'm pretty sure it won't go back to Withdean levels mind, but it WAS 'just' the Carling Cup, and latter stages or not don't underestimate the amount of antipathy there is to the competition. When we were playing Liverpool there were quite a few, more than a few, saying the result "didn't matter"!

And as for being a Palace fan, well I'm obviously pleased they beat the real scum of course. Who wouldn't be? (Don't answer that!)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think Crawley are building their crowds quite nicely to be honest. It's been a quick turnaround for them, and it takes time for people to get into the habit of going to games regularly, especially when most of them had probably never been to a Crawley game 2 years ago.

Good luck to them. They are certainly not a rival. I like them, and wish them every success.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Crawley are building their crowds quite nicely to be honest. It's been a quick turnaround for them, and it takes time for people to get into the habit of going to games regularly, especially when most of them had probably never been to a Crawley game 2 years ago.

Good luck to them. They are certainly not a rival. I like them, and wish them every success.
No, they're not. But what if Crawley's rise had come at the time when we were in the bottom division, especially if we were still waiting on approval for Falmer? I think attitudes would be very different.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Abso, bloody lutely.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, they're not. But what if Crawley's rise had come at the time when we were in the bottom division, especially if we were still waiting on approval for Falmer? I think attitudes would be very different.

Yes, under different circumstances, my attitudes would be different. Is that really so remarkable?

If Griffiths and McGleish had behaved themselves in that 4-4 draw, I would probably never had been even vaguely bothered by Orient.

What if .... you could go on forever down that route.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Both of our nearest rivals can't stop winning, yet their crowds are appalling!

Our crowd size is brilliant, yet, we can't stop losing!

Football is a funny old game!!
Just imagine the size of our crowds, if our stadium was bigger & we could actually win the odd game?
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Would you rather be 4th in the league or have 20,000 fans every week?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

We have been 4th in the league, we've been top of the league and still with 20k+ crowds and it was good. Don't gloat to early Nigel, it is only October.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
We have been 4th in the league, we've been top of the league and still with 20k+ crowds and it was good. Don't gloat to early Nigel, it is only October.
I wasn't gloating, I was asking a question. I am not bothered if we only have 12,000 in the stadium as long as the team are playing well and getting the results. I am sure you would rather be where we are in then league for some reason you lot seem to think it's all about attendances, is it not about success on the pitch and not how many bums you can get on seats. Yes it would be nice to have 20,000 every week but who gives a toss when the team perform in front of 12,000?.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, under different circumstances, my attitudes would be different. Is that really so remarkable?

If Griffiths and McGleish had behaved themselves in that 4-4 draw, I would probably never had been even vaguely bothered by Orient.

What if .... you could go on forever down that route.
You could, but with regard to Crawley becoming our rivals it was a bloody close-run thing. I think that saying "Yeah? Well they didn't. So what?" is on a par with just dismissing something like Hereford, i.e. it's a form of forgetting our roots. Plastic JCLs might think like that but not those of us who lived through it! (Which I know you did.)

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but some of the patronising comments about Crawley ("Little sussex team, nice to see them doing well"), make me 'uneasy' for want of a better word. 'There but for the grace of God' and all that we WOULD be their rivals. Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well and I'd understand it if you don't quite get my point.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea

No you do not get it EVERY SINGLE GAME - you get it after Palace have had a poor turnout and with attendances of 5k, 7k and a couple of 11K's then they deserve it. Especially when the part time Nigels have self proclaimed themselves as "Fanatics" - remember when they claimed to be the "team of the Eighties" and then lost 9-0 at Liverpool ?

Well that's Palace for you. If you don't like it as a topic then don't post on attendance threads.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I wasn't gloating, I was asking a question. I am not bothered if we only have 12,000 in the stadium as long as the team are playing well and getting the results. I am sure you would rather be where we are in then league for some reason you lot seem to think it's all about attendances, is it not about success on the pitch and not how many bums you can get on seats. Yes it would be nice to have 20,000 every week but who gives a toss when the team perform in front of 12,000?.

Am I missing something here? You aren't bothered with the attendances yet you post about them, which is highly likely to get a reply? Make your mind up.

And my reply stands, don't gloat to soon, it is month three of the season, and I will repeat we have been where you are now, we have been higher than where you are now, we know what it is like to be there and it only takes a few short weeks before the possibility of a pendulum swing... save your gloating for around January/February when there will be a much clearer understanding of the positions of both teams.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No you do not get it EVERY SINGLE GAME - you get it after Palace have had a poor turnout and with attendances of 5k, 7k and a couple of 11K's then they deserve it. Especially when the part time Nigels have self proclaimed themselves as "Fanatics" - remember when they claimed to be the "team of the Eighties" and then lost 9-0 at Liverpool ?

Well that's Palace for you. If you don't like it as a topic then don't post on attendance threads.
Sorry, I should have said, "every single Palace game'. If it's home it's "we get more than that" if it's away it's "we take more than that". Currently, as you're username suggests, we have an additional weapon in our ability to attract bigger crowds than them. As I said it'll be interesting to see what happens when the novelty wears off.

And also people often post on threads where they don't like the topic - if just to say they don't like the topic.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Am I missing something here? You aren't bothered with the attendances yet you post about them, which is highly likely to get a reply? Make your mind up.

And my reply stands, don't gloat to soon, it is month three of the season, and I will repeat we have been where you are now, we have been higher than where you are now, we know what it is like to be there and it only takes a few short weeks before the possibility of a pendulum swing... save your gloating for around January/February when there will be a much clearer understanding of the positions of both teams.
Londonbloke, Lets get something straight. You were in the top 3 after to 3 or 4 games that is easy to achieve, many teams have made a start like that in the Championship and have struggled for the rest of the season. After being shown how to play football against Crystal Palace :lol:Brighton are slipping dangerously down the table, we have been in this division far too long to get complacent and carried away but will enjoy it while it last, I am not expecting us to be there come May but will enjoy the rollercoaster ride this young exxciting team are putting us on at present. :drink::rave:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Londonbloke, Lets get something straight. You were in the top 3 after to 3 or 4 games that is easy to achieve, many teams have made a start like that in the Championship and have struggled for the rest of the season. After being shown how to play football against Crystal Palace :lol:Brighton are slipping dangerously down the table, we have been in this division far too long to get complacent and carried away but will enjoy it while it last, I am not expecting us to be there come May but will enjoy the rollercoaster ride this young exxciting team are putting us on at present. :drink::rave:

Boring troll. I have no more to say, can't keep repeating myself to an uneducated slum dweller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here