Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bye bye Bruce

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I like Steve Bruce and have said so on here. I think we'd have more points on the board if he were our manager with this squad, but there's no way we'd be putting in the performance we did last night. The difference between the teams was incredible. We shouldn't be anywhere near them in the table.

Question: would you swap Potter for Steve Bruce?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tarim Lamptey destroyed him . He feigned injury and was subbed off after 33 minutes.

Tarim's twin brother Tariq was pretty good in that game too. Diss Saint-Maximin at your peril though, a dangerous player who can both make and score goals, Newcastle miss him. A player too that l would like to see in an Albion shirt.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good luck with working out that system for the Potter Picks thread.
FWIW, I think you're nearly there with this, but where I think you err is that (as most of us do) you're thinking that are line-up was symmetrical. Last night was an instance, which has been evident in some previous games, of Potter deploying an asymmetrical formation.
So, I'd go with the above, except:
-- Maupay played slightly more in-field (so below Gross in yours)
-- Gross played as wide as Welbeck but deeper than you have it, ie the same depth as you have Lallana and Biss
-- you're spot on in that Tross played centrally but in a more withdrawn role
In terms of the asymmetry point, I wonder whether [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has a view on this, given he's the most experienced and probably best Potterologist on here.

Potter frequently uses asymmetrical formations to use the strengths of his players or to abuse some opponent flaw.

Maupay sometimes going inside, sometimes staying wide and the movements of Moder etc. yesterday not about positions as much as it is about triggers - "when player X got the ball or the ball is in this position, you make that run or take that position" etc. Detecting these triggers is one of the most difficult things and one of the things that separate the best managers from the average ones. Rodgers did it in Brighton vs Leicester a few weeks ago, Steve Bruce had no fecking clue it seems.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I had a chance to watch the post match analysis on NBCSN here in the Colonies and it was interesting to hear Tim Howards thoughts. He thinks that Bruce will stay until the end of the season but the new AM Graham Jones is actually dictating/suggesting the system and he thinks he will replace Bruce in the summer. They showed some footage of Bruce talking to players in the GK injury break but he also pointed out that Jones was doing most of the talking to the midfield players and showing them what they should be doing. Howard pointed out that when they were both at Everton, Jones used the diamond formation and that's what he saw last night. However it has issues (according to Howard) in as much that they have the system but not the plan. Toon players staying in the formation but too narrow and not reacting quick enough to our fluid formation. He id Shelvey playing at the bottom of the diamond but way too deep and Almiron again playing way too deep as the front point. So they had no penetration and apart from the first 10 mins in the 2nd half posed no threat to us. Howard was very complementary of us and he finished with Albion had a system and a plan and they executed that perfectly, Toon had a system and nothing else. He thinks they down. Does not see them getting more than 5 points from their run in.

I think you will find that at many clubs, the job of the assistand manager/coach is to do precisely that, go over with substitute players before they enter the fray, everything that is required of them, and the system that they will be needing to follow.

It was the same at the Abion under Chris Hughton, either Paul Trollope, or before him Colin Calderwood undertook that role.

Nothing sinister to read into it at all.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Tarim's twin brother Tariq was pretty good in that game too. Diss Saint-Maximin at your peril though, a dangerous player who can both make and score goals, Newcastle miss him. A player too that l would like to see in an Albion shirt.

He has played only 16 times this season, 2 goals 3 assists last season 26 appearances 3 goals 4 assists.

He flatters to deceive. Looks good, but there’s not often an end product.

Trossard is better.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I like Bruce too, doesn’t mean I want him to be our manager.

Seems honest, isn’t a pillock like Dyche, Allardyce or Klopp.

I said earlier in the thread I think Bruce is a good man. A gent, and probably a slightly better manager than his reputation.

Just curious if the guy I quoted would swap GP for him as he seemed to indicate he’d have more points.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I think you will find that at many clubs, the job of the assistand manager/coach is to do precisely that, go over with substitute players before they enter the fray, everything that is required of them, and the system that they will be needing to follow.

It was the same at the Abion under Chris Hughton, either Paul Trollope, or before him Colin Calderwood undertook that role.

Nothing sinister to read into it at all.
I think you are mistaking me for some spotty 10 year old who knows feck all about football. I am flattered as I am over 60. :lolol:
Knowing what role an AM plays at a club, it was Howard’s observation not mine.

I do not believe Howard was reading anything sinister. Howard’s point was that Jones played this system at Everton and in his opinion Jones was explaining to the players during that “injury “ break how to play it.
Jones at the this point, was not talking to subs.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Question: would you swap Potter for Steve Bruce?

No Sir, at no point would I have opted to choose Bruce over Potter. I have respect for Bruce as a man and a manager but he's absolutely not the type of manager I'd choose at Brighton. He doesn't suit what we're looking to do and he's a short term type of manager in my opinion. It's not what Tony Bloom wants to do, have someone who comes in and manages for a year or two depending on how quickly the fans bore of him. He has nothing to offer us. That doesn't mean to say I don't think he'd have us higher in the table than Potter has done. How much do you think West Ham's fans have enjoyed watching the performances this season? My guess is not very much. But they're enjoying their place in the league table.

If Bruce was given our squad, I think we'd be higher in the table but we wouldn't play nice football. We wouldn't dominate the ball, wouldn't be looking to develop a style and probably wouldn't have such a clear vision of the type of footballer we should bring in. Potter is the Head Coach who suits our club and is, in my opinion, doing a better job overall than Bruce would do. I'm old. I miss the days when managers held jobs for years at a time, not months. You can't build something in a few months - it takes a couple of years if the club really commit to your vision. Look at the squad development, there's no civil war going on - the club has bought into what Potter wants to do and is backing him in every transfer window. I just wished our team was a little more functional on the pitch so we're not anywhere the bottom three.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Potterguise.... : A football line up that is fluid and unsymmetrical in its set up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No Sir, at no point would I have opted to choose Bruce over Potter. I have respect for Bruce as a man and a manager but he's absolutely not the type of manager I'd choose at Brighton. He doesn't suit what we're looking to do and he's a short term type of manager in my opinion. It's not what Tony Bloom wants to do, have someone who comes in and manages for a year or two depending on how quickly the fans bore of him. He has nothing to offer us. That doesn't mean to say I don't think he'd have us higher in the table than Potter has done. How much do you think West Ham's fans have enjoyed watching the performances this season? My guess is not very much. But they're enjoying their place in the league table.

If Bruce was given our squad, I think we'd be higher in the table but we wouldn't play nice football. We wouldn't dominate the ball, wouldn't be looking to develop a style and probably wouldn't have such a clear vision of the type of footballer we should bring in. Potter is the Head Coach who suits our club and is, in my opinion, doing a better job overall than Bruce would do. I'm old. I miss the days when managers held jobs for years at a time, not months. You can't build something in a few months - it takes a couple of years if the club really commit to your vision. Look at the squad development, there's no civil war going on - the club has bought into what Potter wants to do and is backing him in every transfer window. I just wished our team was a little more functional on the pitch so we're not anywhere the bottom three.

Agree, I don’t think Bruce is as bad as some make out, but he is an old school short term manager and I wouldn’t swap him for the more progressive GP in a million years.

Hopefully we will progress a bit more next season, I think there’s enough positive signs that we can pick up more points. Even this season we’ve been in every game, and undone by stupid mistakes in some or daylight robbery in others.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Had a read through the Newcastle forum earlier, they seem to absolutely hate the guy, in a visceral way. Not the kind of thing we had on NSC at the end of Hughton's last season, when even the ones who wanted him out, it wasn't in a hateful way, more a feeling of respect for what he had achieved, but we needed a change. They really want him out, there was no post I read in support of him

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Had a read through the Newcastle forum earlier, they seem to absolutely hate the guy, in a visceral way. Not the kind of thing we had on NSC at the end of Hughton's last season, when even the ones who wanted him out, it wasn't in a hateful way, more a feeling of respect for what he had achieved, but we needed a change. They really want him out, there was no post I read in support of him

Yes. I also have a good mate who's a Newcastle fan. Calls him El Cabbagio. A few of the more polite snippets about Bruce and the match from other Newcastle fans:

'Bruce is a pound shop Allardyce at best.'

'Newcastle made Brighton look like Barcelona.'

'I would ask the players to give their wages to Comic Relief this week.'

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Agree, I don’t think Bruce is as bad as some make out, but he is an old school short term manager and I wouldn’t swap him for the more progressive GP in a million years.

Hopefully we will progress a bit more next season, I think there’s enough positive signs that we can pick up more points. Even this season we’ve been in every game, and undone by stupid mistakes in some or daylight robbery in others.

If Sanchez kept his place after the Tottenham game, I think we'd be at least 12th or 13th. Nosebleed territory even without missing the presentable chances we create and don't take.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. I also have a good mate who's a Newcastle fan. Calls him El Cabbagio. A few of the more polite snippets about Bruce and the match from other Newcastle fans:

'Bruce is a pound shop Allardyce at best.'

'Newcastle made Brighton look like Barcelona.'

'I would ask the players to give their wages to Comic Relief this week.'

'All' of our occasional victories this season have been as of a result of the opposition making us look like Barcelona...

...it's almost as if...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here