Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Buying a turntable and speakers advice

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
You could get a budget turntable with a built in preamp (Audio Technica LP60 £140) and a set of powered speakers (e.g. Edifier 1280 £130). That way you won’t need to buy a separate amp. I had the AT turntable and it sounds great for the money.
Will have a look. Thank you

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
For the turntable you could go with a built in pre-amp and powered speakers. if you want a new turntable an Audio Technica LP120x. It comes with a decent entry level cartridge and has easy upgrade options if you find you want improve the sound later. I think Amazon used to to do it as a bundle with some Edifier speakers.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
You could get a budget turntable with a built in preamp (Audio Technica LP60 £140) and a set of powered speakers (e.g. Edifier 1280 £130). That way you won’t need to buy a separate amp. I had the AT turntable and it sounds great for the money.
Beat me to it 😀 if he stretch to lp120x it would be perfect

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Agree. Only problem with the LP60 is you can’t upgrade the cartridge.
I had an lp60 and agree the sound is great for an entry level turntable, the issue I with it was skipping on some older records, that didn’t skip on my other turntables. As there is no way to adjust the tracking force. (Yes I did try blue tacking a coin) but it doesn’t help. Saying all the it was the Lp60 not the newer LP60X so they may have fixed these issues as the tone arm was changed between models.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Do some 2nd hand shopping . . . . I have an arcam Alpha 6 amp for sale ( £60) which is a great entry level hi fi amp, yes its 20 years old, but serviced and perfectg working order . . . They make very good amps ( I still have another )

The arcam amps have a decent phono stage pre amp . . . You'll need that, most new amps don't have that on board

B&W and plenty of others do great speakers, harder to find unthrashed 2nd hand, but cheap enough.

re turntable, I'm a devoted Rega man . . . . A P3 may be a stretch on you r budget, but there are other simiar out there, P2, Project etc

do some reading on what hi-fi etc

spend the most on source, ire turntable, then amp, then speakers . . . Easy to upgrade . . . . There are loads of really good near new 2nd hand bargains out there. . .a lot of people upgrade regularly and (IMHO) throw money away

I've blown your budget, but this kit sounds good. .

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
spend the most on source, ire turntable, then amp, then speakers . . . Easy to upgrade . . . . There are loads of really good near new 2nd hand bargains out there. . .a lot of people upgrade regularly and (IMHO) throw money away

The core of my system is about 30 years old, Rotel RA931 amp and Mordaunt Short 10i Pearl Edition speakers - still sounds great when compared to pretty much anything cheap and throw away you can buy today.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The core of my system is about 30 years old, Rotel RA931 amp and Mordaunt Short 10i Pearl Edition speakers - still sounds great when compared to pretty much anything cheap and throw away you can buy today.
When I upgraded I looked at second hand prices and kept all my old stuff ( turntable aside) for the workshop . . . I couldn't buy a chinese boogie box/digi radio worth listening too for the equivalent value . . . . So what was a £2k rig in 2000 is now in the garage . . . Probably only worth a few hundred quid 2nd hand . . . Still sounds great . . . Although my new gear is another level . . .

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Don't bother.
I've 1000's of 7", 12" and Albums all in shelves in the office. I put to use my then retired DJM-500 mixer, a pair of quality Gemini powered computer speakers and a Technics 1210 with a new cartridge.
But here's the problem. A single lasts 3 minutes, 12" maybe 7 minutes and an album only plays one side for 20 minutes. I soon got fed up with having to stand up and change discs.
Back to Alexa or SoundCloud.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Do some 2nd hand shopping . . . . I have an arcam Alpha 6 amp for sale ( £60) which is a great entry level hi fi amp, yes its 20 years old, but serviced and perfectg working order . . . They make very good amps ( I still have another )

The arcam amps have a decent phono stage pre amp . . . You'll need that, most new amps don't have that on board

B&W and plenty of others do great speakers, harder to find unthrashed 2nd hand, but cheap enough.

re turntable, I'm a devoted Rega man . . . . A P3 may be a stretch on you r budget, but there are other simiar out there, P2, Project etc

do some reading on what hi-fi etc

I've blown your budget, but this kit sounds good. .

Good post.
This would crap on the previous recommendations ^ from a great height

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thank you all so far for your advice. I have emailed Richer Sounds and will also have a look at the second hand market despite being a newbie and not really confident in what I am looking for and setting up

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
For the turntable you could go with a built in pre-amp and powered speakers. if you want a new turntable an Audio Technica LP120x. It comes with a decent entry level cartridge and has easy upgrade options if you find you want improve the sound later. I think Amazon used to to do it as a bundle with some Edifier speakers.
+1 for the AT-120. Great bang for your buck in that price range.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here