Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Buying a turntable and speakers advice

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Before you buy anything I would advise you have a close look at those albums. 30 years at what are sometimes very hot temperatures in a loft may have warped them.
Hope they're OK.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This would do the job!
Screenshot 2024-08-27 095706.png

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you are going to buy new. I would look at the Rega Planar 1 Plus. There are some interesting bundles with speakers. Personally I would look at the Sonos Era 100s as you can then switch comfortably between playing vinyl and streaming.

Richer Sounds don't stock Rega which is a shame. In Brighton Audio T also on London Road may be a better bet for HiFi advice.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Thank you all so far for your advice. I have emailed Richer Sounds and will also have a look at the second hand market despite being a newbie and not really confident in what I am looking for and setting up
If you are thinking of purchasing anything but are not sure or have question you can PM me as well. I have about 5 turntables currently in various rooms with various levels of setups. audio Technica, technics, Rega, and Project. I also fix broken turntables as a hobby.

I know a bit about them and know it can be daunting to begin with.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Get a decent used Technics SL1210 MK2, will hold its value

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Since there are a few hifi experts on here can I ask a related question? I bought the this Pro-Ject+ Elemental turntable nearly 10 years ago.

It has been through about 3 house moves since then and given that it has basically no housing has seen a bit of wear. I need to get a new needle for it as the one the cartridge came with has snapped. Is that all I need or do I need to replace the whole cartridge? If so what cartridge would be best?

Tempted to just buy one of those Planer turntables linked elsewhere in this thread to be honest.

Also to the OP I have an amp (Onkyo A9010) in my garage that turns on but won't produce any sound. You are welcome to it if you want to see if you can get it fixed (I asked Richer sounds but they weren't interested due to it's age). I don't want to just throw it away as it might just need some soldering.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I would advise checkout Audio T too, which is down the road from Richer Sounds. They sorted me out.
Seconded. Audio T are knowledgeable & crucially, friendly. Same attitude for my Daughter's first Rega purchase as my more esoteric needs.
In contrast, the original proprietors, decades ago were more akin to Not the 9 O' clock News

Last edited:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Seconded. Audio T are knowledgeable & crucially, friendly. Same attitude for my Daughter's first Rega purchase & my more esoteric needs.
In contrast, the original proprietors, decades ago were more akin to Not the 9 O' clock News

Yep, they were great with me when I used them 10 odd years ago (maybe more, time flies!), like you say very knowledgeable and friendly.

I've also used Sevenoaks Sound and Vision who were also great too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Another shout for audio-T

Back in 1993 they were Jeffries hi-fi, i bought my turntable there new, and a 2nd hand cyrus 2 amp from them.

More recently i went in with my records, and speakers, spent an hour or so trialling stuff.

I went home happy. . . And skint 😂 in all seriousness, they're very knowledgable, cater for all budgets and wont pressure you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have Edifier R1700BT speakers (approx. £130) and an Audio Technica LPX60 Turntable (approx. £140) and am very happy with my set up. Will upgrade the turntable one day but no rush.

View attachment 187946

View attachment 187947

Just seen you can buy them together here;

https://www.kbaudio.co.uk/products/...ica-lp60xusb-turntable?variant=39657417113646
Looks like a good option and I can add an amp later on if I wish. With the automatic arm, does that cause an issue if you want to play a track that is not the first track?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Since there are a few hifi experts on here can I ask a related question? I bought the this Pro-Ject+ Elemental turntable nearly 10 years ago.

It has been through about 3 house moves since then and given that it has basically no housing has seen a bit of wear. I need to get a new needle for it as the one the cartridge came with has snapped. Is that all I need or do I need to replace the whole cartridge? If so what cartridge would be best?

Tempted to just buy one of those Planer turntables linked elsewhere in this thread to be honest.

Also to the OP I have an amp (Onkyo A9010) in my garage that turns on but won't produce any sound. You are welcome to it if you want to see if you can get it fixed (I asked Richer sounds but they weren't interested due to it's age). I don't want to just throw it away as it might just need some soldering.
Thank you for the offer but as a novice I think it's better to buy a working one. I am sure someone on here may be interested in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here