Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a laptop

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Any ideas on where to buy a decent laptop for under £500? Any advice on what to look for or how to get a decent deal would be appreciated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you only want to do web, email, music and photos anything around the £300 mark will do you fine.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
get a ma.... oh no wait you said under £500 didn't you....

I'd recommend NOT going to PC World... after that I'm pretty stumped..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you are physically going to look around shops I highly recommend the LapTop shop at the top of Queens Rd. The two guys that run it are extremely helpful, order all the stock themselves and will give you great deals. Check it out. They will also install all software you like for £20.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's hard to beat a Dell, cheaper as it's direct sales only.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I have a dell at the mo and it is ok but will be left at work before I start a new job. It is alright but can be slow.

Laptop shop sounds promising but I'm stuck in Cambridge for the mo

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
ebay - IBM T41 with 1Gb Ram.

decent chip set, decent power management, light, light, small, quick, under £200.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Got a 17" widescreen dell inspiron for £700 earlier this year and its been fine. Specced up more than you would need for basic browsing, there were plenty of much cheaper ones and that was 4-6 months ago.

Its also worth doing a search for online discount coupons. I had a quick look and found one, didnt think it would work but made a note of the number, put it in when I made the order and saved myself 10%!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest, judging on the Dells both myself and my mates have had... I'd say it was pretty easy to beat Dell....

Well the many hundreds I've worked on seem to be pretty reliable and easy to fix.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Any ideas on where to buy a decent laptop for under £500? Any advice on what to look for or how to get a decent deal would be appreciated.

I got one last week - checked out 'what laptop' and in most categories they were recommending at least one from Acer. As it happens Amazon was (is?) doing a deal on the Acer Aspire 5920G. Got one for £450, reduce from £600. Have been very impressed so far - very quick, all the basics, and very good for multimedia (HD DVD, good graphics card, surround sound etc)

Acer%20Aspire%205920G%20large.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't go to Comet. Bought one for my step-daughters birthday in June and the power unit blew after about 10 days. Took it back and they said it would be away for 2 weeks. Got it back yesterday with a note "Power unit failed, unable to test further as password not supplied"

It took them 2 weeks to find that out, and not even bother to ask about passwords ? ? ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here