Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a decent suit..

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I wondered how much it would cost to buy a decent suit? I have never got one before (as I didn't go prom at school!) and need one for a freshers ball at uni.

I obviously don't want a ropey one that i'll be binning as soon I wear it once.

Will need the whole shabang. Suit, trousers, shoes..

I'm out in Southampton by the way, if that makes any difference?!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I wondered how much it would cost to buy a decent suit? I have never got one before (as I didn't go prom at school!) and need one for a freshers ball at uni.

Don't want a suit for a Freshers ball. Hire a tux. Can get perfectly fine ones for £35ish You'll look the dogs

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
M&S or Zara probably your best bet for about £120. Obviously your not going to walk out looking like you've just made a trip to saville row but they look decent, reasonably priced and wil last you a while.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I got a pretty decent suit from Next for £100, they've got a good selection

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for comments so far. For those that have said £120, £100, £200 etc, what does that include?

Will I have to get shoes for examples seperately?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
As already been said, don't buy a suit go for the hire the tux option (bow tie and all). Look the part

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Check out local charity shops. They often have tuxs that get recycled by students.
You will get one very cheap.

:albion1::albion1:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Thanks for comments so far. For those that have said £120, £100, £200 etc, what does that include?

Jacket and Trousers.

But as others have said, hiring a tux might be more appropriate at your ball? What are your mates wearing?

Monty

Feb 21, 2008

Yes, you also have to tie the laces yourself. Think you will be okay?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My experience of uni balls, freshers balls, sport socials is that a suit invariably gets a bit wrecked. I would be wary of hiring a suit as a jacket is easily confused with others and can go walkabout. In my humble opinion, I would buy a dirt cheap Black Tie set. They sell them in Matalan. Just snip off the labels.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd recommend buying a tux over hiring as you'll get loads of use out of it during your student years alone, and probably a lot longer providing you don't put on too much weight!

I've had mine for about 15 years, it's survived all sorts of formal dos and rugby club dinners and still looks good after dry cleaning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'll presume you're a genuine fresher, and not an older student wanting to pull some young flesh......buy a cheap tux and make sure you dont put any weight on over the course of your degree. This will serve you better over three years.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'll presume you're a genuine fresher, and not an older student wanting to pull some young flesh......buy a cheap tux and make sure you dont put any weight on over the course of your degree. This will serve you better over three years.

I have a reletively cheap suit from my days in immediately post-University life (£90ish 'suits you' jobbie). I got it taken in a couple of months ago because I lost a lot of my student beer weight. I now have a suit, that I almost threw out, which looks tailored for the sum of £41.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I have bought my suits from Burton. Debenhams, Next and Marks and Spencer all have large selections.

Get someone to help you find one, or get one of the store assistants to help as if you're buying for the first time, it may take a while to know what your size is.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
If this means much to you, it's 'black tie' dress code.

Does this change what others have been saying or not? :laugh: :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here