Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a decent suit..

Dandyman

In London village.
If this means much to you, it's 'black tie' dress code.

Does this change what others have been saying or not? :laugh: :blush:

Black tie means evening dress rather than a suit. So hire and save some money. You should also be able to hire shoes if you want. Patent leather is most appropriate but a decent pair of Oxfords should see you alright.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Thanks for comments so far. For those that have said £120, £100, £200 etc, what does that include?

Will I have to get shoes for examples seperately?

If your in Saints get on the train to Pompey and go to Gunwharf I got a £200 suit there for £80!! And there are plenty of shops there to give you a choice

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok I am still undecided. I kind of want to keep it as I don't have a suit even if it's not a really good one..

Any idea how much less it would be to rent one?

Dandyman

In London village.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
zara suits are great value. decent material, nice modern cuts, for around the £150 mark. that's great value in my book.

do yourself a favour... don't go anywhere near burtons

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Black tie means a dinner jacket, not a suit.

Black tie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* A jacket with ribbed silk facings (usually grosgrain) on a shawl collar or peaked lapel (while a notched lapel is a popular modern choice, it is not traditionally considered correct)[4]
* Trousers with a single silk or satin braid covering the outer seams
* A low-cut waistcoat or cummerbund
* A white dress shirt with a turn-down or wing collar collar, shirt studs (optional), and cufflinks (a marcella front is traditional, but other styles are also accepted. A black ribbed silk bow tie matching the lapel facings (self-tie bow ties are preferred but not necessary)
* Black dress socks, usually silk or fine wool
* Black shoes, highly polished or patent leather Oxfords, or patent leather court shoes

Hire one!

If you can get to an Outlet centre then there are bargains to be had. I got my suit from Austin Reed in the Swindon Outlet Centre and all suits were £150 -mine was marked up at £400. Obviously jiggerypokery in those figures but they are cheaper than the main stores. More expensive shops also have bargains in the Outlet centres.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Hire a dinner suit!!! you will look a right plonker turning up in a suit if it says black tie on the invite. Buy yourself a nice bow tie that should see you through the three years - don't go for black, something a bit different that will help pull the ladies, but that doesn't light up!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bearing in mind you may ruin said suit or, if you've bought it to last, you'll probably grow out of it, then I'd go for the cheap option.

I've got a Christening to go to and Mrs wanted me to buy a suit but it's pre payday so I was worried about funding. We were on our way to matalan but were shopping in Asda and I was able to buy jacket, trousers, shirt, tie & belt for a grand total of £39.00!

At that price, it may only look good once but that's all I need.

BTW, friend of mine has a daughter who has just gone to Solent, hails from Eastbourne.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Thanks for comments so far. For those that have said £120, £100, £200 etc, what does that include?

Will I have to get shoes for examples seperately?

And you say you're at university? Don't tell me- media studies?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I just paid £175 for my latest suit :
deltaflex_semitech_1.jpg

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I wondered how much it would cost to buy a decent suit? I have never got one before (as I didn't go prom at school!) and need one for a freshers ball at uni.

I obviously don't want a ropey one that i'll be binning as soon I wear it once.

Will need the whole shabang. Suit, trousers, shoes..

I'm out in Southampton by the way, if that makes any difference?!

Marks and Spencers 'Autograph' collection should get a really nice suit for 150 quid, also some decent shoes for 50 quid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here