Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters

larus

Hi. Just a story about GB. My 9 year old & I are season ticket holders in the family stand & we usually get to the ground a little early to watch the defenders warm up in front of us. Yesterday I shouted to Guy to ask him to sign my son's shirt, & he indicated that he would when he finished. My boy was disappointed when he walked off without coming over, but when he got to the dressing-room steps he remembered and ran back the full length of the pitch with all the other players already gone. All I can say is that he is a gent and a true star.

Now then, you're been told millions of times not to exagerate things.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
With his vast league experience, and if he feels his playing days are over, how about a job on the coaching staff?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I don't agree. He still copes well with aerial balls, but the minute anyone with any pace runs at him, we are in trouble. He has been a great servant, but it is time for some younger legs to take his place.
i have to agree his lackof pace has really been evident this season and im afraid i think it's time to move on and bring a slightly younger than guy but more experienced than joel or tommy in for next season
someone in there late 20's early 30's

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
i have to agree his lackof pace has really been evident this season and im afraid i think it's time to move on and bring a slightly younger than guy but more experienced than joel or tommy in for next season
someone in there late 20's early 30's

Well if Crosby isn't prepared to deal with the stigma of relegation with Scunny....

Guy was outstanding at the heart of defence on Saturday - notably involved in everything when they came forward, and held down his position well.

For all the kudos that everyone seems over-enthused to hand to Tommy Elphick - he could and should learn a lot from Butters - in keeping his concentration and not going totally and completely missing when things heat up in our half.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
a good club man who has done more than most expected after an inauspicious beginning - give him a player-coach role :ascarf:
he can pass on his experience and fill a gap if we need (given the injury problems our young defenders have suffered we will need some experienced cover)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
- give him a player-coach role :ascarf:
he can pass on his experience and fill a gap if we need (given the injury problems our young defenders have suffered we will need some experienced cover)

Would be ideal as player/coach/manager of the reserves and would keep fit by plying for them and would not let us down if called up in an emergency.

I am suprised that in our precarious financial position we did not do the same with goalkeeper coach, who if an experienced recently retired goalkeeper could have stepped in an emergency, as it appears that the management do not have or have not shown to have much cofidence in Sullivan.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Butters should stay. The only time he has been a bit out of place is against pacy forwards, however there havent been that many in this division and therefore he does well. Also at this stage of his career Im sure he knows he wont always be automatic first choice anyway.

Also you do need at least one or two senior pro's at the club for the youngsters to look up to. Say what you like but people like Butters have been consumate pro's and people like Cox should take a leaf out of his book.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
A real pro, a true club man and someone who should continue at the club, ideally as a coach. He's been there and he's done it - we shouldn't lose talent like that - plus he's a bloody nice bloke.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Guy's been a good signing for the Albion and I'm sure all of our young defenders will have learned a great deal from him. It is certainly their time, and I can't see him getting much playing time next season not because he is bad but because El-Abd, Elphick and Lynch are improving all the time.

One point I would make is that captaincy certainly wasn't his bag, so I wouldn't expect him to make a good manager.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
a good club man who has done more than most expected after an inauspicious beginning - give him a player-coach role :ascarf:

Can we afford a central defender's coach?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Guy's been a good signing for the Albion and I'm sure all of our young defenders will have learned a great deal from him. It is certainly their time, and I can't see him getting much playing time next season not because he is bad but because El-Abd, Elphick and Lynch are improving all the time.

One point I would make is that captaincy certainly wasn't his bag, so I wouldn't expect him to make a good manager.

and we have to hope that Hinsh will be back...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here