Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters & Reid set to start ahead of Elphick & Loft

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Preview/0,,10433~1203301,00.html

Albion boss Dean Wilkins is expected to recall Paul Reid and Guy Butters for Albion tomorrow's New Year's Day Clash with Bournemouth. Joel Lynch and Tommy Fraser are both ruled out by illness, meaning Butters would replace Lynch in defence, while Reid would slot in alongside Dean Hammond in midfield.

If selected, Butters would his first start in League One since facing Bristol Rovers in October - although he did play against Cheltenham in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in November and has featured from the bench in recent weeks.

Reid too has made appearances as a substitute since returning to full fitness this summer, but he is yet to start this season. A start tomorrow would be the Australian midfielder's first starting appearance since the match against Carlisle last September, in which he damaged knee ligaments.

Elsewhere, David Martot is ineligible - although he trained with Albion today and player and manager are both keen to extend his stay - meaning Jake Robinson is likely to return on the right wing.

Tommy Elphick is also expected to be back in the 16-man squad; second-year professional Wes Fogden has been recalled from his loan spell at Dorchester. Meanwhile Scott Chamberlain is expected to sign for Bognor on loan until the end of the season ahead of their match with Havant tomorrow.

Bournemouth will also give Shaun Cooper a late fitness test, but do expect to have defender Josh Gowling available for selection. Darren Anderton, Ryan Anthony, Neil Moss and Steve Foley all miss out through injury.

Jo Kuffour is pushing for a starting place, after an impressive performance from the bench in the 2-2 draw with Swindon.

On-loan Reading quartet Jem Karacan, James Henry, Alex Pearce and Scott Golbourne are likely to go back to the Premier League club next week, but are eligible fro tomorrow's match. Leicester's Max Gradel and Pompey's Jean Chirstophe are also cleared to face Albion.

Possible Line Ups

Albion: (4-4-2) Kuipers, Whing, El-Abd, Butters, Rents; Robinson, Hammond, Reid, Cox, Forster, Revell. Subs from: Elphick, Loft, Fogden, Elder, Gatting.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anderton injured - nothing new there then

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Good to see Guy back & joel has been sadly off form lately so the rest should do him good.

Good to see Reidy back as well, should bring more bite to the midfield.

Looking forward to the game, except i a'int going!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For those of you who didn't make the trip to B'muff, prepare to be impressed with the winger Max Gradel.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Albion: (4-4-2) Kuipers, Whing, El-Abd, Butters, Rents; Robinson, Hammond, Reid, Cox, Forster, Revell. Subs from: Elphick, Loft, Fogden, Elder, Gatting.
Going to be tough selecting FIVE subs from that list [of five] :jester:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Am slightly surprised by both, if true, Elphick has been streets ahead of any other defender this season. And Loft sounded like he deserved a chance after the Yeovil game, so I can't see what Reid's done to warrant being picked instead.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And back to the sub goalie argument, I can see ZERO justification in having BOTH Elder AND Gatting on the bench at the expense of a keeper, when they offer exactly the same thing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be starting Elphick above Butters but I think Reid above Loft is an obvious choice.

As posted on another thread to start Elphick without having had any games is asking for trouble. I would agree on the other point about Loft as I wouldnt let him anywhere near the training ground let alone the first team. As you may gather I think that he is one of, if not the worst player at Brighton, in the Ashley Neale class.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think Elphick played in a friendly at the weekend, he must have impressed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd like to think that I can take some of the credit for that decision. DW was obviously listening to the phone-in on SCR when I DEMANDED that Guy play.

Well done, Tank. Here's to a steady defence for the 1st time in ages.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
good to see Tank back, need his expiernce at the moment,

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
For god sake if David Martot wants to stay and we want him to stay why hasn't this been sorted out before now? The club really are shite at sorting things like this out.

Every summer we have loads of players out of contract and they leave it to the last minute and it looks like it's happening with Hammond as well.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Preview/0,,10433~1203301,00.html

Albion boss Dean Wilkins is expected to recall Paul Reid and Guy Butters for Albion tomorrow's New Year's Day Clash with Bournemouth. Joel Lynch and Tommy Fraser are both ruled out by illness, meaning Butters would replace Lynch in defence, while Reid would slot in alongside Dean Hammond in midfield.

If selected, Butters would his first start in League One since facing Bristol Rovers in October - although he did play against Cheltenham in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in November and has featured from the bench in recent weeks.

Reid too has made appearances as a substitute since returning to full fitness this summer, but he is yet to start this season. A start tomorrow would be the Australian midfielder's first starting appearance since the match against Carlisle last September, in which he damaged knee ligaments.

Elsewhere, David Martot is ineligible - although he trained with Albion today and player and manager are both keen to extend his stay - meaning Jake Robinson is likely to return on the right wing.

Tommy Elphick is also expected to be back in the 16-man squad; second-year professional Wes Fogden has been recalled from his loan spell at Dorchester. Meanwhile Scott Chamberlain is expected to sign for Bognor on loan until the end of the season ahead of their match with Havant tomorrow.

Bournemouth will also give Shaun Cooper a late fitness test, but do expect to have defender Josh Gowling available for selection. Darren Anderton, Ryan Anthony, Neil Moss and Steve Foley all miss out through injury.

Jo Kuffour is pushing for a starting place, after an impressive performance from the bench in the 2-2 draw with Swindon.

On-loan Reading quartet Jem Karacan, James Henry, Alex Pearce and Scott Golbourne are likely to go back to the Premier League club next week, but are eligible fro tomorrow's match. Leicester's Max Gradel and Pompey's Jean Chirstophe are also cleared to face Albion.

Possible Line Ups

Cant quite see where it actually says Butters starts ahead of Elphick, or where it says Elphick isnt........lots of 'ifs' and 'expects' though!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Naylor's on holiday so nothing is definite at the mo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here