Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters out ?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm prepared to be flamed on this one, but is it time to drop or rest Butters for a game or two.

He has been marvellous the last few seasons and his effort and commitment to the club over the last three seasons have been nothing short of fantastic.

However i'm disturbed by the amount of times he is caught flat footed or stationary in the box costing us goals. With his back to goal he is still top class for us, however when you turn him round he is suspect.

He has been ever present all season and despite us leaking goals appears to be above question.

Maybe worth a try to freshen things up...El-Abd and Hinsh maybe ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think he is the reason ALONE that we are not in deeper shit than we already are.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:
I think he is the reason ALONE that we are not in deeper shit than we already are.

Yep I agree. The reason why we are in this position is down to ONE man. The manager.

The SQUAD is GOOD enough. The Manager ISNT. :angry: :angry: :angry:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Rougvie said:

Really ??

What makes you say that.

i'm not looking to have a row...you have probably seen him more than me this season, but felt crucial goals have been due to him being static in the box...i.e Millwall at home

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yep I agree. The reason why we are in this position is down to ONE man. The manager.

The SQUAD is GOOD enough. The Manager ISNT. :angry: :angry: :angry:

but I thought you said we were short of a left back midfielder and a striker ......

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Rougvie said:

Have to agree.

He has been immense in the air and his mere presence has kept out of some really DEEP SHIT.

On Saturday for example, he was one of the few players who tried to keep a bit of PASSION in the game and was totally GUTTED at the final whistle.

He HAS to play IMO

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hiney said:
Have to agree.

He has been immense in the air and his mere presence has kept out of some really DEEP SHIT.

On Saturday for example, he was one of the few players who tried to keep a bit of PASSION in the game and was totally GUTTED at the final whistle.

He HAS to play IMO

Like i stated i think he has been great in the air.... but when the ball comes into the box on the ground i feel he struggles and we have conceded alot of goals from those positions...not saying we should get rid but we are clearly struggling in defence and was just thinking out loud more than anything

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No defender likes to be turned around running back to their own goal.....its not rocket science.
Guy im sure would agree thats always been a weakness in his game its nothing new.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Marshy said:
No defender likes to be turned around running back to their own goal.....its not rocket science.
Guy im sure would agree thats always been a weakness in his game its nothing new.

Like i say, i think Guy has been great for us.... just asking the question really... i mean what do we do to stop conceding stupid goals..... both against Leicester were poor defending and so was crewe's second and for while now defensive mistakes have been costing us

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Personally, I think Butters and McShane as a pairing have lacked pace, and now that Hinsh is back he should be playing alongside one of them.

Whether it's McShane and Hinsh or Butters and Hinsh, I'm fairly undecided.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Gritt23 said:
Personally, I think Butters and McShane as a pairing have lacked pace, and now that Hinsh is back he should be playing alongside one of them.

i think we need to play all 3 of them with hart and elabd as wing backs! we need to stop conceding goals and then if we can nick 1 at the other end might start picking some points up

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Gritt23 said:

If McShane was staying i would say Hinsh and McShane, however most on here seem to think Butters deserves his place so maybe Hinsh and Butters

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Deportivo Seagull said:
but I thought you said we were short of a left back midfielder and a striker ......

I have never said that. We sold our top scorer and had a habit of keeping our other top scorer on the bench.

Lets hope that CKR now gets a run of games to finish the season.

Make a f***ing change wont it.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not really sure why we should not play all three, Mcshane, Butters and Hinch across the back, with Reid and El Abd as attacking wingbacks....

To hell with this caution first football now, we might as well go down having a bloody good go, than with a whimper as per the second half performances against most teams this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
hes done ok - no DC type of consistancy though

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
brightonfan_86 said:
I think Guy Butters has been outstanding this season for us, always commited and never giving up.

I wasn't questioning that, or Guy himself really.... just can't help wondering why we concede so many poor goals.... too many times caught static. Just was an idea, not a quest to oust Guy...just he has played every game and wondered what people thought.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We keep going on about the striking problem, but the goals we are conceding are sending us down as well. Take the Leicester game the other week. Forget the strikers, our defence had pretty much lost us the game within 5 minutes.

All in all, we have some serious problems throughout the side, and relegation is looking nailed on for me, and has been for weeks. We need a serious re-build in the summer - hopefully done around the promising kids. But one way or another a summer as inactive as January has been and we could be in BIG trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here