Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burgess latest

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Lynch may have not be a LB. But he was still a damn site better than Harding.

What does Tony Adams know about players devolpment? He hardly set the world on fire as a manager now did he.

Lynch was a quick fix and he played a few good games out there hopefully he will now devlop as a CB. Lynch will play a lot higher than Harding ever does, even if Lynch plays the rest of his career at LB.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We really don't want to use Lynch at left back he has been a step above anything else in this league at centre back (granted didn't see Notts Forest game) want to keep him there and let him progress before we get big bucks come Xmas or next summer. Basically we need a solid left back with a little bit of pace but they have been looking for the last 2 years so don't hold much hope

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BarrelofFun said:
:bowdown: He took me to my very first Brighton game, as part of a school trip.

Leg-End!

I play left midfield for Corals FC in the Sussex Sunday League in the late 80's, with Sammy Nelson LB and Teddy Maybank CM. Also had Paul Flood and Sammy Donnelly in the team. Great days.

Last edited:

Icy Gull said:
Only problem with that is that Tony Adams is clueless with players, witness his spell at Wycombe. Joins a very long list of great players, shit managers. If Lynch is that good he will be able to play lb or central defence at this level and seems to have proved that by doing a reasonable job at lb a division higher at the end of last season.

Thierry Henry was a winger, lucky Adams wasn't overseeing that one when he was moved into the middle?

Is NSC that wise that they can categorically state that Lynch will not make a great LB, what if he goes to a team with better CBs than him? Just not play him ?

If we don't sign a leftback by transfer deadline and we have all our centrebacks fit then fine put Lynch at leftback, but if we actually sign a leftback then I would like Lynch to stay at centerback please!

Just beacuse Tony Adams did not manage succesfully it doesn't mean he can't spot potential talent. There are pundits on the telly who have tried mangement and failed but still point out players strengths and weaknesses.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Southover Street Seagull said:
If we don't sign a leftback by transfer deadline and we have all our centrebacks fit then fine put Lynch at leftback, but if we actually sign a leftback then I would like Lynch to stay at centerback please!

Just beacuse Tony Adams did not manage succesfully it doesn't mean he can't spot potential talent. There are pundits on the telly who have tried mangement and failed but still point out players strengths and weaknesses.

If he could spot weekness and strengths he wouldn't have played 6 cb's in one game. Tony Adam's opinion means naff all to me.

I do agree with Lynch tho. I pray he doesn't end up at LB.

Last edited:

Rusco said:
I think you missed my point, I don't think Harding was a decent left back. So the real answer would have been we haven't had a decent left back since "Insert Name" left

What I should have said was: Have we had a better leftback than Harding at the club since he left excluding Joel Lynch who is primarily a centerback?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What I should have said was: Have we had a better leftback than Harding at the club since he left excluding Joel Lynch who is primarily a centerback?

We no, as he is the only "Left Back" (and I use the term loosely) we have had in that time.

DAMANCLAY said:
If he could spot weekness and strengths he wouldn't have played 6 cb's in one game. Tony Adam's opinion means naff all to me.

I do agree with Lynch tho. I pray he doesn't end up at LB.

If the quote was true it does mean a lot me, beacuse with Tony Adams experience in the game he should know a good player or two. If he saying we have one of the best young centrebacks in the country this is high praise. After all he played in that postion at the highest level possible so he should know a few things about the qualities that are required of a centreback.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If the quote was true it does mean a lot me, beacuse with Tony Adams experience in the game he should know a good player or two. If he saying we have one of the best young centrebacks in the country this is high praise. After all he played in that postion at the highest level possible so he should know a few things about the qualities that are required of a centreback.

I dont think he could spot the strengths and weeknesses of Theirry Henry or John Terry.

I think its obvious ANY first team experience is better than playing reserve and youth team football.

the thing I am trying to get at without all the Harding/Lynch leftback debate is that I don't think we have made any realistic attempt to fill the leftback position since Dan Harding left. Mayo needs some competition. I feel we have been going for an unobtainable 20 goal a season target man whoever he may be and have let the important position of leftback be forgotten about.
I thought it was the genreral consensus in football that you build a good side up from the back. We haven't got a good back line at the moment and one of those reasons is we haven't got a decent leftback.

DAMANCLAY said:
I dont think he could spot the strengths and weeknesses of Theirry Henry or John Terry.

I think its obvious ANY first team experience is better than playing reserve and youth team football.

Yes ANy first team experience is better than reserve team football. But where do you draw the line in exposing a young player to constantly bad performances by the team he is playing in just to give him experience?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I heard thru a friend of a friend of a friend, Ashley Cole has been spotted at Withdean

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's allways good to have players who can "fill in" at various positions, All teams like to have a few utility players but we seem to be trying to develop a squad full of "Jack of all trades and master's of none"

Players should first and foremost be coached & played in they're best position and if we hav'nt got a natural left back, targetman etc, then it's the clubs responsibility to search out these players & bring them to the club.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes ANy first team experience is better than reserve team football. But where do you draw the line in exposing a young player to constantly bad performances by the team he is playing in just to give him experience?

I dont recall him having that may bad games. I would presume this is why he is wanted by better clubs. Not because he has been playing badly.

DAMANCLAY said:
I dont recall him having that may bad games. I would presume this is why he is wanted by better clubs. Not because he has been playing badly.
quote:

"But where do you draw the line in exposing a young player to constantly bad performances by the team he is playing in just to give him experience? "

I didn't mean he was playing badly I meant the team he was playing in last season was bad. He for me was one of few shining lights of last season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
quote:

"But where do you draw the line in exposing a young player to constantly bad performances by the team he is playing in just to give him experience? "

I didn't mean he was playing badly I meant the team he was playing in last season was bad. He for me was one of few shining lights of last season.

He cant help the team he is playing for!!!!!!! Its like saying was it right for Ashton to play for Crewe who were badly struggling.

DAMANCLAY said:
He cant help the team he is playing for!!!!!!! Its like saying was it right for Ashton to play for Crewe who were badly struggling.

Yes you have a point about that. Lynch didn't play long enough in the side last season for the poor perfomances to affect his form.
Anyway we still need a decent leftback as well as a targetman.
I hope we sign at least one, maybe we'll be lucky and sign both!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes you have a point about that. Lynch didn't play long enough in the side last season for the poor perfomances to affect his form.
Anyway we still need a decent leftback as well as a targetman.
I hope we sign at least one, maybe we'll be lucky and sign both!

We can agree on that, would love to see Lynch stay at CB and really progress. A decent LB and a targetman and i would expect a top 3 finish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here