Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2010

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Neither the Tories nor Labour have done anything to change things in the past 4 or 5 decades.

All those non-doms. Threaten to revoke their f***ing passports if they don't want to pay taxes here, and lets see how many of them decide it's a price worth paying. Afterall, I'm sure a Belize passport is well worth holding.

just to raise as discussion, actually both Tory and Labour have tried to do something about tax avoidance, they just end up moving the problem. theres a tax bible (lexus nexius?) that has grown from a couple of volumes to about 5 foot high stack in the past decade or two. the answer is to overhaul the whole system, flat tax is an obvious start, but that was bottled (Osboren talked about it early on)

as for non-doms, i dont think people get it. they are here because they chose to be, they are so rich they can base themselves anywhere and probably avoid tax anywhere. if they arent here we lose alot of their spending money, and its alot (you wouldnt know theres a recession really in Kensington). theres a more practical reason for this: if you earn money abroad, how is the HMRC going to prove what you earn and tax it? they have no jurisdiction or power to check bank accounts or business accounts beyond the UK (unless they are investigating fraud/money laudering, so the police would be drawn in etc). and morally, why should money earnt in an Indian, Russian or Belizean business be taxed here? it should be taxed there - you wouldnt expect the French or Brazlians to tax a ex-pats business based in Brighton? I think the US *does* try to have its citizens make a statement of foreign earnings and tax it, but its ignored and flouted, with nearly no enforcment its a mockery. just Wednesday afternoon discussion points.

Todays budget will be full of tiny little treats for Labour areas (both political and geographical) which wont actually cost much or do anything, but help to look good to the core vote. a Green Bank has been trailed, sounds like a good idea but what will it actually do and will it have nearly enough money to be worthwhile? Bank accounts for all is well overdue and its a endictment of Labours record that they haven't done something so simple and imprtant before. Stamp duty on houses raises f*** all in the scheme of things and should be removed anyway. and the usual fisting to smokers, drinkers and drivers. [ didnt realise it was already on... :dunce:]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cameron playing a blinder
A feeble budget from Darling - Cameron must have loved replying to that.

I'm more interested in what the drippy alternative, George Osborn, has got to say. For all Darling's faults, I can't really see Osborn being any better.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
A feeble budget from Darling - Cameron must have loved replying to that.

I'm more interested in what the drippy alternative, George Osborn, has got to say. For all Darling's faults, I can't really see Osborn being any better.

Osborn is definitely a weak link. He has the face a bully loves, gormless looking twat.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cameron absolutely DESTROYED

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cameron and Brown in his reply.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Even Darling and Brown.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
An extra 10% in cider duty means an increase of about 3p a litre by my reckoning, so about 1.5p for a bottle of Bulmers/Magners. Isn't enough to make me want to panic buy to be honest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
An extra 10% in cider duty means an increase of about 3p a litre by my reckoning, so about 1.5p for a bottle of Bulmers/Magners. Isn't enough to make me want to panic buy to be honest.

it never is, all duty is carefully balanced to look impressive, raise lots but not really do anything to harm sales, which might lead to a net loss on tax received. see tobacco.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not much of a drinker so not fussed about the rise in tax on alcohol but it looks like dropping stamp duty has saved me and Mrs S nearly £2k! So thank you Darling! :clap:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tax on a litre of cider is c26p so a 10% increase is neither here nor there on a pint.

The scrapping of stamp duty for first time buyers is interesting. Just how does someone prove they are a FTB?

Land Registry records would be useless, surely, as they only record a name and, in most cases, there are a lot of people with the same name. Even if that was possible, could a husband and wife just 'take turns' from purchase #1 to purchase #2 to save themselves a couple of grand?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Quite Bozza but this although sounding good does not address the issue of the fact there is no mortgage finance for ftb's. A 10% deposit is needed as a minimum but 25% to get offered a reasonable rate. That is the real issue. Also making it ftb's only will mean loads of applications from people claiming they are ftb's when they have had a previous mortgage, this should be checked easily enough from their credit file but it would have been better to make the stamp duty break across the board.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Tax on a litre of cider is c26p so a 10% increase is neither here nor there on a pint.

The scrapping of stamp duty for first time buyers is interesting. Just how does someone prove they are a FTB?

Land Registry records would be useless, surely, as they only record a name and, in most cases, there are a lot of people with the same name. Even if that was possible, could a husband and wife just 'take turns' from purchase #1 to purchase #2 to save themselves a couple of grand?

They'll probably still put the price up 5 or 10p a pint in pubs though, that always seems to be what happens.:angry:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite Bozza but this although sounding good does not address the issue of the fact there is no mortgage finance for ftb's. A 10% deposit is needed as a minimum but 25% to get offered a reasonable rate. That is the real issue. Also making it ftb's only will mean loads of applications from people claiming they are ftb's when they have had a previous mortgage, this should be checked easily enough from their credit file but it would have been better to make the stamp duty break across the board.
This seems perfectly reasonable to me. 10%? Where's the issue with that?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
No need to spend money on that - just stop their benefits.

As some one who isn't a NEET but is facing the prospect of becoming one if work doesn't pick up in the next couple of years, that is a really really stupid comment.

I'm not facing being a NEET after sixth form because i'm lazy or because i don't want work, i'm, and most of the NEETS or those facing becoming NEETS soon, unable to find it. Its not there.

Don't judge my generation based on your generations NEETs. They are in totally different circumstances.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This seems perfectly reasonable to me. 10%? Where's the issue with that?

Of course your right and I am wrong again Simster. To be charged 7% with a £ 1000 arrangement fee with the Bank base rate at 0.5% is perfectly fair. I stand corrected by your superior knowledge on this marketplace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here