Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2010

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Live coverage starts at 11.30 on BBC2. I'll be watching with great interest. Give us your best, Alistair.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
The thoughts of Alistair Darling. "How am I going to make sweeping cuts, but make it look like Im increasing spending?"

As much As I hate Gordon McBroon, I feel at little sorry for our black eyebrowed chancellor. Not an easy job this one.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Prepare to be mugged, big time. Or more mugged than we already are if that's possible. :tumble:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It'll be the usual. Motorists and drinkers will get brutally raped again.
There'll be some kind of headline sweetener with the election in mind, but with closer inspection it will still be a case of giving with one hand, taking with the other, and ultimately everyone will end up worse off.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Stamp Duty will be attacked I reckon to please the 'first time buyers' and attempt to coax them into voting for Labour.

It will be interesting to see if they have the balls to increase the top rate tax...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nick Robinson was saying last night that there was a rumour of stamp duty being abolished for first time buyers below the £250k threshold.

Woop de doo. Nobody can get a pissing mortgage these days anyway. He'll be "helping" about 27 couples.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Stamp duty will be in the budget, as will a package to encorage the vast number of twenty-something NEETs (Not in Employment, Education or Training) to get back into work.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No need to spend money on that - just stop their benefits.

Usually I would agree, however:

I think the current group of young NEETs are different to anything that we have had in the past. I the past NEETs have usually been those who are too lasy to work (people unable to work are not usually counted as a NEET). However, there is a current crop of young people falling into the NEET catogory simply because of the lack of jobs caused by the credt crunch. People with experience who have been made redundant have been taking up the lower-level posts that usually would be taken by young people. This has resulted in talented young people being unable to get into the workplace (I'm not counting those that can't string two sentences together).

If these NEETs aren't given an opportunity to work soon, there is a possibility that this could begin a real benefit culture for an entire generation of youngsters that usually would have found work.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
If these NEETs aren't given an opportunity to work soon, there is a possibility that this could begin a real benefit culture for an entire generation of youngsters that usually would have found work.

So knock it on the head now. They have to earn benefits by way of community work.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
It never ceases to amaze me how much we put up with in this country. About 90% of the price of a litre of petrol is tax, about 33% on the price of a pint is tax. (stands to be corrected on exact figures). How much of road tax actually gets spent on roads? We must be the worst country in the world for stealth taxes. It's always the 'middle earners' who end up subsidising everyone else, yet year aftyer year we take it on the chin. It doesn't matter who you vote for, they are all taking the piss when you compare us to other countries. No wonder so many people piss off somewhere else to live :rant::rant:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
OK - fair point and I don't pretend to know if that is true but....the biggest problem is with lazy, second or third generation scroungers and we all see them, yet they seem to continue to live the life of riley at taxpayers expense:rant:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stamp Duty will be attacked I reckon to please the 'first time buyers' and attempt to coax them into voting for Labour.

Not the boldest guess in the world, given they've leaked their "no stamp duty for purchases of under £250k for first time buyers" thing already this morning.

It will be interesting to see if they have the balls to increase the top rate tax...

Beyond the 50% rate coming into effect in a couple of weeks time?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's always the 'middle earners' who end up subsidising everyone else, yet year aftyer year we take it on the chin.
This.

And my beef is with the tax avoiders at the top, as much as the scroungers at the bottom. Neither the Tories nor Labour have done anything to change things in the past 4 or 5 decades.

All those non-doms. Threaten to revoke their f***ing passports if they don't want to pay taxes here, and lets see how many of them decide it's a price worth paying. Afterall, I'm sure a Belize passport is well worth holding.

And the scoungers at the bottom - all these dumb slags choosing to have kids at 16 as a lifestyle choice. Time to cap child benefits (a maximum or benefits up to a maximum number of kids) and should only be claimable for 2 years max per child unless you've paid some f***ing tax beforehand.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not the boldest guess in the world, given they've leaked their "no stamp duty for purchases of under £250k for first time buyers" thing already this morning.

Well, forgive me for not checking the news this morning.

Beyond the 50% rate coming into effect in a couple of weeks time?

I had no idea that had been finalised.

Nick Robinson's job is safe... for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here