Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckley out until after Hull game

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
From The Argus...

Team tomorrow is going to be pretty weak.

Will Buckley has been ruled out of Albion's first two matches of the season and possibly for a little longer.

The speedy winger misses tomorrow night's Capital One Cup tie at Swindon and Saturday's opening Championship game at Hull with a hamstring injury sustained when he starred in the friendly win against Chelsea.

Albion's other injury absentees for the Swindon game are Craig Mackail-Smith (groin) and Will Hoskins (broken foot bone). Andrew Crofts is on Wales duty so also misses out.

Wayne Bridge and Marcos Painter are both available after missing much of pre-season but the Swindon match could come too soon for Kazenga LuaLua.

Boss Gus Poyet revealed to The Argus: "Wayne is fine, Marcos Painter is fine. Kazenga's got a slight chance. He's much better.

"I think Macca is going to be a couple of days away, so he would be available for Saturday, Kazenga definitely. The one who will be an extra week is Bucker and, of course, Hoskins, who is out for a few weeks."

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Starting to feel like the beginning of last season with all these injuries, I wouldn't be suprised if we got knocked out by Swindon, neither would I be that bothered TBH.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Craig Noone is the obvious replacement for Will Buckley, hopefully only temporarily though.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We were always going to play a reserve side tomorrow night and I fully expect us to lose tomorrow. Gus couldn't care less about the League Cup I'm sure and Swindon will be going for it. Hope Wayne Bridge gets some more game time though.

Shame Buckley will miss Hull. At least Lua Lua looks like he'll be ready.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The biggest concern for me is up front. CMS will be rusty at best for Hull if he makes it at all, which leaves Barnes as our only real option up front, unless we do actually manage to sign somebody.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I do think we could do with another winger as all of our current ones have struggled with injuries over the last year.

D

Deleted member 18477

kind of hope swindon do knock us out. want us to really concentrate on the league this year. our mini league cup run last year didnt help.

could do with less injuries to our danger men!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Maybe Gus isn't so bothered by the League Cup or whatever it's called now to risk certain player. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't risk Bridge either.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So we've only got 19 available players including both Brez and Casper. Squad picks itself.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
As it's before the league games start can see Poyet using it as another friendly, similar team to the Crawley game possibly

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Whilst I am not that worried about the Swindon match, I don't think we will take it that seriously, I am worried about the early part of the season with the injury list we have.

CMS has been injured and will short of match practice as will LUA LUA who has not played much in pre-season. Buckley is now out as is hoskins, leaving barnes and Noone as the recognised forward and wide players. I know Vicente can play there but I am not sure trips to Hull and Swindon are best suited to the way we play when using him up front. Injuries to Barnes or Noone would leave us exposed for a time. I see Andy Naylors tweet says Gus is still confident re 2 of his 3 striker signings, I think we could really do with acting in this area.

On the bright side defensively we are looking strong which gives us the base we need.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is no one a bit more worried about the recurring hamstring injuries/problems with Will Buckley, and was the reason why Watford were willing to sell ?

There was some discussion it was due to his age and he was still growing, but we're a year on, and his injury record does not seem to be improving.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was under the impression we weren't going all out to win cup games this season? I thought there was an interview with gus early in the preseason that hinted at this. I was expecting the sort of thing we had when we won league one, with the back up keeper, maybe more second choice players in each position.

Brez
caldy/el abd/dunk/painter
harley/dicker/noone//sparrow
barnes/agdestein

sort of line up for the cup. Maybe ankergren instead, but based purely on twitter feeds and stats, it seems Brez had a stronger pre-season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not good news.

I was really hoping he would have an injury free start to the season this tine and hit the ground running.

I also really worry when I see a fast player like that with a hamstring injury that they can't say how long he will be out for. Real shame as I think with a fully fit run in the team he could tear this league apart. Lets hope he's not out for any longer than the first couple of games.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Is no one a bit more worried about the recurring hamstring injuries/problems with Will Buckley, and was the reason why Watford were willing to sell ?

There was some discussion it was due to his age and he was still growing, but we're a year on, and his injury record does not seem to be improving.
The reason they were willing to sell was because we offered £1m.

His injury record was considerably better in the second half of last season, but anyone can still get injured, and wingers/fast players are always going to be more prone to this type of thing.

Hopefully Buckley (and LuaLua) won't have too many injuries this season but I think it's inevitable there will be some. It's frustrating but I don't think we need any more players in those positions, we've got Noone, Buckley, LuaLua, Vicente, plus Barnes, Hoskins, Agdestein, and more in the development squad.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was under the impression we weren't going all out to win cup games this season? I thought there was an interview with gus early in the preseason that hinted at this. I was expecting the sort of thing we had when we won league one, with the back up keeper, maybe more second choice players in each position.

Brez
caldy/el abd/dunk/painter
harley/dicker/noone//sparrow
barnes/agdestein

sort of line up for the cup. Maybe ankergren instead, but based purely on twitter feeds and stats, it seems Brez had a stronger pre-season.

I'm hopeful we might play the first team defence as the more time they have together pre-Hull the better. Our first team and our reserve forwards seem to be the same thing at this stage :(

Hopefully................

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer Dunk Bridge
Sparrow Bridcutt Dicker
Barnes Agdestein Noone

I'd love to see Vicente play the first half up front ahead of Toby just to see if it has real prospects as a pairing but I don't see it happening

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I'm hopeful we might play the first team defence as the more time they have together pre-Hull the better. Our first team and our reserve forwards seem to be the same thing at this stage :(

Hopefully................

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer Dunk Bridge
Sparrow Bridcutt Dicker
Barnes Agdestein Noone

I'd love to see Vicente play the first half up front ahead of Toby just to see if it has real prospects as a pairing but I don't see it happening

Yep chance for Toby to claim the shirt and then keep it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here