Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
This is me on BT :-

BT Speedtest.png

And if you buy at least one BT share, you get £8 per month discounted.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
What is the difference between Mb and MB?

If a file is say 500 megabytes in size, and your speed is say 10Mb (a second?), is there a correlation to how fast it will download?

MB = megabyte
Mb = megabit
8 bits in a byte
So 4,000 Megabits (4Gb) in your 500MB file
10Mb download means 10 Megabits per second (Mbps)
So, to download 4,000Mb at 10Mbps will take 400 seconds, all things being equal, which they're not.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What is the difference between Mb and MB?

If a file is say 500 megabytes in size, and your speed is say 10Mb (a second?), is there a correlation to how fast it will download?

A 10 megabit connection will, in full flow, download about 1.25 megabytes of data a second meaning the 500MB file would take 6 or so minutes. If it was a 10 megabyte connection, a 500 megabyte file would be download in less than a minute.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
This is what I am encountering at the moment and we only got connected last Friday. Waiting for another engineer to come out on Monday now. When it works it's amazingly quick, the trouble is it doesn't seem to work for more than about an hour before it packs up for a few hours.

Add that to some of my devices being unable to connect (see below) and you could say I am not impressed with BT at the moment.

OT - BT Infinity/iMac problem

Amazing as i was thinking of this post today! Anyway i have worked out a few things that limit the signal dropping. Firstly BT will say that the reason the signal is dropping is because A: you're on a channel that conflicts with that of one of your neigbhours or B: you have an electrical item (such as a TV) within proximity to the hub.

A: is rubbish as i have had the channel that my hub emits on changed several times and it still drops and B: i have no electrical items with feet of the hub. BT have had a problem with their infinity hubs especially their older ones (2.0 plus i think) but i have found they are reluctant to admit it (even tho' their recent PR has stated stuff about the most stable hub...strange...why would they need to do that?)

My key problems arrive when my blackberry attaches to the network and then i use it to access the internet this will then drop the signal. This also happens when others join my network so its not a blackberry/my phone issue (i now ask them to switch their wireless off when they use their phones in my flat) or my netbook go's into sleep mode. The signal will also drop after 2300hrs at night...i have no idea why.

you may /may not be aware that yesterday in 01273 BT had a complete fail in their broadband signal that lasted most of the afternoon which may explain anything during that period. I have had a problem with my phone for 5 days now and it'll take another 5 to fix...why it took so long, even after they said it was fixed, i don't know.

My biggest problem with BT is the customer service. Not once has anyone ever followed up one of my complaints, suggestions or problems. (if you're reading this BT...PM me!!!(they do monitor message boards by the way))

Rant over and thanks for reading this far. And in attempt to stay happy...much love to you all.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
MB = megabyte
Mb = megabit
8 bits in a byte
So 4,000 Megabits (4Gb) in your 500MB file
10Mb download means 10 Megabits per second (Mbps)
So, to download 4,000Mb at 10Mbps will take 400 seconds, all things being equal, which they're not.

A 10 megabit connection will, in full flow, download about 1.25 megabytes of data a second meaning the 500MB file would take 6 or so minutes. If it was a 10 megabyte connection, a 500 megabyte file would be download in less than a minute.

Ace, I didn't know that. I bet there's a reason ISPs don't make the difference terribly clear either!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Amazing as i was thinking of this post today! Anyway i have worked out a few things that limit the signal dropping. Firstly BT will say that the reason the signal is dropping is because A: you're on a channel that conflicts with that of one of your neigbhours or B: you have an electrical item (such as a TV) within proximity to the hub.

A: is rubbish as i have had the channel that my hub emits on changed several times and it still drops and B: i have no electrical items with feet of the hub. BT have had a problem with their infinity hubs especially their older ones (2.0 plus i think) but i have found they are reluctant to admit it (even tho' their recent PR has stated stuff about the most stable hub...strange...why would they need to do that?)

My key problems arrive when my blackberry attaches to the network and then i use it to access the internet this will then drop the signal. This also happens when others join my network so its not a blackberry/my phone issue (i now ask them to switch their wireless off when they use their phones in my flat) or my netbook go's into sleep mode. The signal will also drop after 2300hrs at night...i have no idea why.

you may /may not be aware that yesterday in 01273 BT had a complete fail in their broadband signal that lasted most of the afternoon which may explain anything during that period. I have had a problem with my phone for 5 days now and it'll take another 5 to fix...why it took so long, even after they said it was fixed, i don't know.

My biggest problem with BT is the customer service. Not once has anyone ever followed up one of my complaints, suggestions or problems. (if you're reading this BT...PM me!!!(they do monitor message boards by the way))

Rant over and thanks for reading this far. And in attempt to stay happy...much love to you all.

Well my hub and modem are sitting right next to my TV but thats where the Sky router was and the BT man didn't say it shouldn't go there. I'm on 01323 and my connection problems have been happening all week.

Currently, 2 machines upstairs are working at a fast pace but the laptop downstairs (near the hub) is slower than Frank Lampard after a sunday roast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here