Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have had so many issues with my BT Infinity hub its unreal. I am fed up calling India, i am fed up complaining, i am fed up with my wireless dropping, I am fed up with their inability to do simple things like read the notes on my account. I have had enough. DO NOT GO BT!!!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im with plusnet. i was happy with their service until they decided this month to cut the service instantly when card payment didnt clear. that and trying to force me on to a contract (been on pay as you go) after about 5 years with them, and i find myself inclined to go elsewhere.

i will also comment that ive not had problems with BT over the years before i went to plusnet (except for price), they sort a line problem in my last place straight away. i also understand ADSL limitations and havent tried to buy a 20mbps services when im mile from the exchange and all the check/test sites say you wont get more than 5mbps. lesson is, all companies have good and bad moments.

and @ colossal squid, i'm very impressed with your 9GB in 6minutes. you'll have to tell us the technology used, because thats faster than 100Mbps Lan speeds.

I have had so many issues with my BT Infinity hub its unreal. I am fed up calling India, i am fed up complaining, i am fed up with my wireless dropping, I am fed up with their inability to do simple things like read the notes on my account. I have had enough. DO NOT GO BT!!!!!!

We have a BT Business Hub at work and it is the worst router I've ever encountered. The WiFi keeps dropping out and the router regularly decides to change it's subnet and therefore drops itself (and any users connected via DHCP) off the network.

The Plusnet fibre package comes with a free NETGEAR WNR1000 router which is fully configurable (unlike the Netgear ADSL routers that Sky supply which are locked!).

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
im with plusnet. i was happy with their service until they decided this month to cut the service instantly when card payment didnt clear. that and trying to force me on to a contract (been on pay as you go) after about 5 years with them, and i find myself inclined to go elsewhere.

i will also comment that ive not had problems with BT over the years before i went to plusnet (except for price), they sort a line problem in my last place straight away. i also understand ADSL limitations and havent tried to buy a 20mbps services when im mile from the exchange and all the check/test sites say you wont get more than 5mbps. lesson is, all companies have good and bad moments.

and @ colossal squid, i'm very impressed with your 9GB in 6minutes. you'll have to tell us the technology used, because thats faster than 100Mbps Lan speeds.

Plusnet and BT use all the same stuff

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Plusnet and BT use all the same stuff

yes, i know, as do most the providers. at the time i went to plusnet they were independent, before BT brought them.

im likey to move to BE shortly, which have their own kit in the exchanges and are supposed to be very good.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
yes, i know, as do most the providers. at the time i went to plusnet they were independent, before BT brought them.

im likey to move to BE shortly, which have their own kit in the exchanges and are supposed to be very good.

I like them i said i was leaving them as i was moving they gave me the moving cost for free, and cut my bill down to £16 a month

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It does not really matter who your provider is your location is the key fact in so parts of the country virgin is better in other it's BT but if you think the BT infrastructure is crap then you do not understand the technology, for the lat couple of years virgin lead by not not BT are taking over but it will not last virgin will come back

D

Deleted member 18477

BT infinity installed. 50mbps download and 13mbps upload... those long NSC threads load so much quicker:clap:

(although i am 'meant' to get 80mbps and 20mbps upload i'll happily take a speed 10 times as fast as what i had before!)

go infinity!

D

Deleted member 22389

I remember swapping my 56k modem and getting 2mb broadband. I was absolutely amazed with the speed. Last year I got upgraded to 8mb download but only manage about 5mb. That's enough for me. I will wait until Infinity comes down in the price. Its being activated at the local exchange in June. I really cannot honestly see the need for it at the moment. My broadband streams youtube just fine and I can access all websites without any issues. I don't do online gaming. The only thing I could see it helping with is iPlayer on my freesat box. Quite a few times I have got halfway through a programme and the bstard thing buffered.

If people are moving to Infinity does this mean I will get a better broadband connection?

D

Deleted member 18477

I remember swapping my 56k modem and getting 2mb broadband. I was absolutely amazed with the speed. Last year I got upgraded to 8mb download but only manage about 5mb. That's enough for me. I will wait until Infinity comes down in the price. I really cannot honestly see the need for it at the moment. My broadband streams youtube just fine and I can access all websites without any issues. I don't do online gaming. The only thing I could see it helping with is IPlayer on my freesat box. Quite a few times I have got halfway through a programme and the bstard thing buffers.

If people are moving to Infinity does this mean I will get a better broadband connection?

its great IF you have multiple devices connected to the internet. iphone, ipad, laptop, ps3 etc etc. Means you can download a film on ps3 (in MUCH less time) and surf the web on your ipad still at rapid speeds.

iPlayer doesnt even buffer. it just loads instantly. (i.e. you could watch the last minute of the programme straight away.)

and no you'll get the same connection. your line is untouched from the exchange to your house.

D

Deleted member 22389

its great IF you have multiple devices connected to the internet. iphone, ipad, laptop, ps3 etc etc. Means you can download a film on ps3 (in MUCH less time) and surf the web on your ipad still at rapid speeds.

iPlayer doesnt even buffer. it just loads instantly. (i.e. you could watch the last minute of the programme straight away.)

and no you'll get the same connection. your line is untouched from the exchange to your house.

That's exactly the problem I have iPlayer. I move to say 10 mins in to the programme and it just keeps buffering lol.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

This is what I am encountering at the moment and we only got connected last Friday. Waiting for another engineer to come out on Monday now. When it works it's amazingly quick, the trouble is it doesn't seem to work for more than about an hour before it packs up for a few hours.

Add that to some of my devices being unable to connect (see below) and you could say I am not impressed with BT at the moment.

OT - BT Infinity/iMac problem

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Get them to send you the latest of their homehubs. The ones before were known to have loads of problems but the latest one seems pretty stable. Been up for about 2 months now with now downtime at my place.

Well I would hope it is one of the latest hubs as they only installed it last Friday!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Massive BT Infinity fan here - never had a problem in years. No downtime, no problems with WiFi coverage. Currently on a 51mb download and 13mb upload speed. Also using the latest Homehub 3.0 router for the WiFi & Echolife HG612 modem for the Infinity connection.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Get them to send you the latest of their homehubs. The ones before were known to have loads of problems but the latest one seems pretty stable. Been up for about 2 months now with now downtime at my place.

Well I would hope it is one of the latest hubs as they only installed it last Friday!

Is there any way of telling whether I have the latest hub or if they have palmed me off with an old one?

Edit: it says BT Home Hub 3 on the box so I guess it's a new one?!?!

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Mb, not MB. Megabit.

I spotted the same error in an article at work today, which is fortunate as pedants like me would have been irritated by it had it gone to print

What is the difference between Mb and MB?

If a file is say 500 megabytes in size, and your speed is say 10Mb (a second?), is there a correlation to how fast it will download?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here