Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
BT have just upgraded the local exchange to DTTC fibre optic broadband and are offering 39gig download speed and 40 GB pm usage.

Anybody on BT Infinity? How close to this download speed do they get and is their customer service any good?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
39gig download SPEED? You sure you've got that right? Seeing as they're aiming to have 100Mb the standard around the country

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Sorry. Should have said 39MB not gig.

Mb, not MB. Megabit.

I spotted the same error in an article at work today, which is fortunate as pedants like me would have been irritated by it had it gone to print

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Anyway, I'd love to have a connection that fast. Admittedly it would just encourage me to download things, but still...

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
BT have just upgraded the local exchange to DTTC fibre optic broadband and are offering 39gig download speed and 40 GB pm usage.

Anybody on BT Infinity? How close to this download speed do they get and is their customer service any good?

I have just got BT Infinity and a speed test shows 37mb download speed. Installation took some time as there were initial problems with the line, but all is now fine

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use BT. I've had Virgin broadband since the heady days of Telewest, and they have been excellent. In a few weeks I shall be enjoying 50MBs for the princely sum of £25. Oorah!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It's not going to take you very long to smash that 40Gb at that speed. I've just started the process of switching to Virgin who have offered me 30Mb with unlimited download ( subject to fair use policy ). Personally I detest BT so I wouldn't touch them.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Virgin is only available if you have cable. Country bumkins such as myself are not so lucky. I hate the idea of changing to BT but am tempted by those speeds.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Virgin is only available if you have cable. Country bumkins such as myself are not so lucky. I hate the idea of changing to BT but am tempted by those speeds.

Oh-ar ! Be careful - I would imagine there's a small phrase that BT will use to get out of providing 39Mb - "up to" !!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 18477

Oh-ar ! Be careful - I would imagine there's a small phrase that BT will use to get out of providing 39Mb - "up to" !!!!!!!

Virgin use the same phrase! BT are providing to most of the country. Virgin is limited to where you live to achieve those speeds. BT infinity is excellent. Don't be put off by all these anti BT comments. I've always had BT and have been delighted with them for years!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
They advise you of the speed capability of the line before installation. If you enquire they can tell you how many properties your fibre optic connection is serving/is capable of serving in your region. The higher the number of properties, the more bandwidth will be shared and the slower the service will be.

On a related matter, for gamers, it is worth contacting your ISP and requesting to be put on a 'gaming profile' which will improve your upstream considerably.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No chance in hell I'd ever give my money to BT. They've always charged more than everybody else because they cling to their "reputation" as a once trusted nationalised entity. Since being a mess of privatised firms they care not one jot about their customers and will happily rip you off.

The 40gb download limit is stingy for a start, and anyone who generally needs a connection at that speed will expect to use far more than that. Furthermore there is no way in hell anybody is going to actually get the speeds they quote the lines are capable of.

Personally I use TalkTalk who I've found to be very decent. I don't have ANY download cap and get speeds up to 20mb, which is more than adequate. I can download a blu-ray movie in about 6 minutes usually, which is quicker than going to the video shop down the road.

If you can get cable, get that, you'll get better speeds and won't have the download limit. If you can't get cable, get Talk Talk, O2 or Be Broadband, they're all cheaper than BT and have no restrictions.

You'd have to be a MUG to get your internet through BT.

D

Deleted member 18477

No chance in hell I'd ever give my money to BT. They've always charged more than everybody else because they cling to their "reputation" as a once trusted nationalised entity. Since being a mess of privatised firms they care not one jot about their customers and will happily rip you off.

The 40gb download limit is stingy for a start, and anyone who generally needs a connection at that speed will expect to use far more than that. Furthermore there is no way in hell anybody is going to actually get the speeds they quote the lines are capable of.

Personally I use TalkTalk who I've found to be very decent. I don't have ANY download cap and get speeds up to 20mb, which is more than adequate. I can download a blu-ray movie in about 6 minutes usually, which is quicker than going to the video shop down the road.

If you can get cable, get that, you'll get better speeds and won't have the download limit. If you can't get cable, get Talk Talk, O2 or Be Broadband, they're all cheaper than BT and have no restrictions.

You'd have to be a MUG to get your internet through BT.

Talk talk, O2 and be broadband all technically use BT lines in the ground through openreach. So your money ends up in the hands of the BT group anyway ;)!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Talk talk, O2 and be broadband all technically use BT lines in the ground through openreach. So your money ends up in the hands of the BT group anyway ;)!

I know, but sadly it can't be helped. I don't live in a cabled street so have no choice but to get my broadband through a phone line. Although BT Openreach end up with the money, it still costs less than if I were paying BT for the whole package

Manuel

Feb 4, 2011
In the lounge
Virgin use the same phrase! BT are providing to most of the country. Virgin is limited to where you live to achieve those speeds. BT infinity is excellent. Don't be put off by all these anti BT comments. I've always had BT and have been delighted with them for years!

Agree with this ,Infinity is excellent and never had any problems with BT :thumbsup:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
But it's £38 a month!!

That's more than TWICE what I pay AND I'm not tied into an 18 month contract.

There is NOTHING to justify charging so much more than everyone else. BT are taking the piss

DanielT

39Mb in real terms means you can download a 3.9MB file in 1 second, so basically an large mp3. However you will cane 40gb in no time (as has been already mentioned)

That's 234mb per minute, an entire CD in 3 minutes, 1gb in 4 mins 20 secs, which means your entire 40gb allowance can be gone in less than 3 hours!

Very generous BT!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can get 'infinity' without paying BT. Few ISPs offer it, will be around same price tho maybe not long contract

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here