Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] British Summer Time

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think I read somewhere that stats for pedestrian road deaths were presented as "A.M. deaths went up", but they omitted that P.M. deaths went down and overall there was little difference.
Construction and agricultural work is largely dependent on daylight though, and with noisy construction, can't start before 8.am in residential areas, if it doesn't get light till 9.AM there would be either increased risk of accidents or the loss of a productive hour of the day. Productivity goes down in Winter as it is, many industries would have winter and summer hours and just shift start and finish times, but that would affect the night time economy too, pubs and restaurants would be trying to cater to the timings of two different workforces, would affect Public transport provision, rush hour, deliveries to businesses etc if business hours are variable.
Probably best to leave it as it is at our latitudes.

The fall in PM deaths could also be due to the Drink Driving laws that were changed in 1969.

Yes….I was listening to someone from Cambridgeshire CC the other day where they are trialing a four day week on same pay ….I was wondering whether their holiday entitlement was remaining the same and if it became three day weeks when Monday bank holidays occur …will they be able to maintain service levels etc

Yep…self employment has pros and cons like anything else..this one is the latter

When I worked for the electricity supply company. and phone lines started being available for longer hours (the 90s) I was allowed to choose my own hours, as long as I worked the 37 hours a week full time.
chose to work 4 longer days and have Wednesday off each week. It worked well because I only worked Mon. Tue, had a day off, Thurs, Fri and then the weekend off.
Bank Holidays were 8 in a year, so holiday allowance was worked out pro rata due to most BH being on a Monday.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Most factories are indoors anyway so not sure how daylight helps them - I'd heard it was to benefit the Farmers who work the land in all daylight hours in winter.
However, tractors now have super LED lighting and so are better equipped to work in hours of darkness.

All a bit meh for me.

Cows still need milking at dawn.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'd be happy with British Summer Time all year round. Getting dark at 4.45pm at the very earliest would make winter just a bit more bearable.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Almost certainly clickbait (can’t see it reported anywhere else atm), but interesting if true…..

[tweet]1573042498703958017[/tweet]

Clearly BS rumour. Shame as it is no brainer: would reduce accidents (per ROSPA); reduce carbon footprint (we use more power early evening than early morning); increase leisure time; improve metal health; and SNP wont like it. So what's not to like?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think they need a note, the implementation was delayed by covid.

its been delayed because they cant decide which time to fix on, and some want to continue with the change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here