Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] British Summer Time

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

In December there is approximately 8 hours of daylight, so you have a choice of 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm.
No matter what you do with the clocks it will still be dark.

This

But it will be sold by the rag tops as 8-4 translates to 7-5 and people will be the usual mushroom brained kept in the dark and fed bullshit sheep who fall for it.

Up at 7 as usual, as the first morning I've had to turn lights on, maybe we should shut the country down and all fly south for the winter. . .

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This

But it will be sold by the rag tops as 8-4 translates to 7-5 and people will be the usual mushroom brained kept in the dark and fed bullshit sheep who fall for it.

Up at 7 as usual, as the first morning I've had to turn lights on, maybe we should shut the country down and all fly south for the winter. . .

You need to eat more carrots :)

Didn’t we do this back on the 60s - 70s … it was dark and miserable in the morning and Scotland complained that up in their North it was not light until mid morning.. I’m against it, if true..

Yes we did - extract from Wikipedia below:-

"..............A further inquiry during 1966–1967 led the government of Harold Wilson to introduce the British Standard Time experiment, with Britain remaining on GMT+1 throughout the year. This took place between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971, when there was a reversion to the previous arrangement.

Analysis of accident data for the first two years of the experiment, published by HMSO in October 1970, indicated that while there had been an increase in casualties in the morning, there had been a substantially greater decrease in casualties in the evening, with a total of around 2,700 fewer people killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment,[13]: 14 (PDF p. 18) [8]: 23 [14] at a time when about 1,000 people a day were killed or injured on the roads.[15][16] However, the period coincided with the introduction of drink/drive legislation; the estimates were later modified downwards in 1989.[13]: 14 (PDF p. 18)[/I]..............."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes we did - extract from Wikipedia below:-

"..............A further inquiry during 1966–1967 led the government of Harold Wilson to introduce the British Standard Time experiment, with Britain remaining on GMT+1 throughout the year. This took place between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971, when there was a reversion to the previous arrangement.

Analysis of accident data for the first two years of the experiment, published by HMSO in October 1970, indicated that while there had been an increase in casualties in the morning, there had been a substantially greater decrease in casualties in the evening, with a total of around 2,700 fewer people killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment,[13]: 14 (PDF p. 18) [8]: 23 [14] at a time when about 1,000 people a day were killed or injured on the roads.[15][16] However, the period coincided with the introduction of drink/drive legislation; the estimates were later modified downwards in 1989.[13]: 14 (PDF p. 18)[/I]..............."

I remember it well, which is why I’m against it. I was living in the south at that stage, moving up north when my ex finished in the Navy in December 1970.
Believe me, we are better off having GMT all year round than BST.
After all, we discovered all the time zones, standardised clocks for the railways, and helped set the International Date Line.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] the Europeans do change their clocks, as has already been said.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I just struggle to see how anything like this could be done without costs running into billions. Its a very different thing from doing it in the 60s: millions of different systems and apps needs to be reprogrammed, and I suppose quite a bit of hardware might need to be replaced as well... which is why I think the EU-idea never actually materialised. Better to wait until 2038 before doing those things as it will be unavoidable to spend billions on these things as we get closer to that year.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Kiids in Scotland going to school in pitch black darkness was a problem last time round, among other problems. Might be justified in saving electricity usage through the lights coming on later this time round though.

I think I read somewhere that stats for pedestrian road deaths were presented as "A.M. deaths went up", but they omitted that P.M. deaths went down and overall there was little difference.
Construction and agricultural work is largely dependent on daylight though, and with noisy construction, can't start before 8.am in residential areas, if it doesn't get light till 9.AM there would be either increased risk of accidents or the loss of a productive hour of the day. Productivity goes down in Winter as it is, many industries would have winter and summer hours and just shift start and finish times, but that would affect the night time economy too, pubs and restaurants would be trying to cater to the timings of two different workforces, would affect Public transport provision, rush hour, deliveries to businesses etc if business hours are variable.
Probably best to leave it as it is at our latitudes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
..and for more money

To be fair, there are some companies ( 70 IIRC ) that are part of a trial to do a four day working week but for the same pay - and it's not condensed hours jus less per week. 80% of them say they will continue with it even when the trial ends. Obviously being self employed this won't help you !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I just struggle to see how anything like this could be done without costs running into billions. Its a very different thing from doing it in the 60s: millions of different systems and apps needs to be reprogrammed, and I suppose quite a bit of hardware might need to be replaced as well... which is why I think the EU-idea never actually materialised. Better to wait until 2038 before doing those things as it will be unavoidable to spend billions on these things as we get closer to that year.

For an App and IT infrastructure side it's not as big a job as many people think. Any coder worth their salt uses the system time on the device that their app is running on. The device then takes its time from a central source which in turn takes the time from a certified NTP source. A couple of examples :

1. A company has many servers sittng in it's datacentre. In that same data centre is a local NTP server ( should be two for redundancy ). All those servers sync their time with that of the NTP server - they don't really have any knowledge of BST / GMT. They just make sure their time is the same as the NTP server. At the same time the local NTP server gets it's time source from one of a number of certified NTP services out on the internet. Most are run by Uni's - for example Cambridge Uni has four.

2. All the apps on your mobile use your mobiles time ( if they need the time to function ). Your mobile then takes it's time from the mobile network. The mobile network takes it's time from certifed NTP sources.

So the only systems that need changing are the certified NTP sources. Most organisations that run these only have a small handful of them - like Cambridge - so the job isn't that big.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For an App and IT infrastructure side it's not as big a job as many people think. Any coder worth their salt uses the system time on the device that their app is running on. The device then takes its time from a central source which in turn takes the time from a certified NTP source. A couple of examples :

1. A company has many servers sittng in it's datacentre. In that same data centre is a local NTP server ( should be two for redundancy ). All those servers sync their time with that of the NTP server - they don't really have any knowledge of BST / GMT. They just make sure their time is the same as the NTP server. At the same time the local NTP server gets it's time source from one of a number of certified NTP services out on the internet. Most are run by Uni's - for example Cambridge Uni has four.

2. All the apps on your mobile use your mobiles time ( if they need the time to function ). Your mobile then takes it's time from the mobile network. The mobile network takes it's time from certifed NTP sources.

So the only systems that need changing are the certified NTP sources. Most organisations that run these only have a small handful of them - like Cambridge - so the job isn't that big.

Fair enough.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To be fair, there are some companies ( 70 IIRC ) that are part of a trial to do a four day working week but for the same pay - and it's not condensed hours jus less per week. 80% of them say they will continue with it even when the trial ends. Obviously being self employed this won't help you !

Yes….I was listening to someone from Cambridgeshire CC the other day where they are trialing a four day week on same pay ….I was wondering whether their holiday entitlement was remaining the same and if it became three day weeks when Monday bank holidays occur …will they be able to maintain service levels etc

Yep…self employment has pros and cons like anything else..this one is the latter

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Would need to be assessed but won't be anything like the "millennium bug" that created a lot of work [understatement] to ensure New Years' Eve 1999 did not become Armageddon.

Many systems [if designed carefully] would be linked to "lighting up time" timetable - so [on paper], just revise this "source" and anything that links to it will work same as before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here