Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Rovers fan in peace

gavarovers88

Feb 6, 2011
Well played yesterday, you played some good football and look sure to go up. Just wondered what you thought of us? Do you think we will stay up? Positive and negative feedback welcome.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Your fans were moaning like hell on the way back as sadly for you Walsall have hit some good form.

Your keeper needs an anger management course to say the least and sadly you looked very deflated, not sure how you will inspire some confidence to stay up.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hoskins was a constant menace and looked threatening every time he was near the ball. He was also unlucky with the one that was disallowed.

I thought you were very poor positionally at the back and it was easy to see why Walsall hit you for six last week. Unless you address this then a fair few thumpings are coming your way. Every time we got the ball out wide it looked as if we were about to score. You need to cover the full backs someone.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's difficult to judge the teams because of the weather but Hoskins is obviously the shining light and your best chance of surviving. Was surprised Kuffour didn't start as I've always thought he was pretty good.

Defence looked to be your weak point as we were able to get in behind quite regularly and could have had a couple more.

Good luck though, all the best

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well played yesterday, you played some good football and look sure to go up. Just wondered what you thought of us? Do you think we will stay up? Positive and negative feedback welcome.

Like any team that is struggling, a couple of streaky/lucky wins is desperately needed. The players confidence will grow......thought you were far from the poorest side seen at Withdean this season. There is hope yet.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
In the first half i though Kalala was very good.
Hoskins was outstanding but should play up front. Kuffour looked very lively and i was impressed with Swallow when they came on.
Having said that, i felt you were very poor and suspect we would have scored a lot more had the conditions been better. The space Noone was afforded when he came on was shocking and indicates very little homework being done by Penney.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I thought you played too deep allowing us to receive the ball and turn at will, and with 5 in midfield you still had no width and gave Barnes/Wood/Painter in the first half and Noone in the second much too much space. Williams in support of the attack was okay but Lines seems out of the game more than in it which is a shame because I remember him as being very skilful. I thought Howe as the target man and Hoskins out wide worked well - came at us from unexpected angles - but would have gone with one less in midfield and had Kuffour on alongside Howe from the start. Tactically you used the wind whereas we didn't and I thought we missed a trick in the first half to test Daniels more. I liked Cian Bolger in defence and Kalala, whilst a dirty little bugger, could help get you out of trouble.

You have a good manager but I think it will be touch and go whether he can instill the right discipline in time.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As I have family in Bristol I sat in the Uplands stand with the 'home' support and most around me thought Hoskins was good but the defence is the main problem - everytime we went at them it looked like we could get a shot away and the midfield just didn't get close to us.

Many around me thought Bridcut controlled the game and I have to say I would agree totally - he constantly picked up the ball just outside of the area, passed it simply, rarely lost the ball, and got the midfielders around him going. A great peformance even if he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. I also thought Barnes was a constant menace but should have beaten the keeper for the third instead of benefitting from a lucky rebound.

mh369

Mar 4, 2009
London
i agree, in hoskins and kuffour you have two players who can grab you goals. I have to say though I think that is the worst defensive performance I've seen from a side this season. The back four were really square and it was too easy to slide a ball in behind that left all four of them stranded. I think if you sure up the defence, you'll stay up!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I thought Hoskins had a great game but defensively Rovers were shocking apart from a couple of good blocks in the first half.
Was behind the goal so couldn`t tell if Hoskins was offside or not for the disallowed goal, but you also had the long range shot which hit the inside of the post and went across the goal which is the luck you get when your at the bottom of the league.
Didn`t think Kuffour did anything when he came on at all.
Would expect you to go down as you are a long way from safety but hope you stay up.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
My first visit to Rovers. Found it really easy to park, extremely friendly staff from the bloke who sold us the programme to the chap who was dishing out the chicken balti pies which were phenomenal - I had two.

Some great tunes played prior to kick off and a very nice atmosphere throughout - even though I felt like Scott of the Antarctic when the wind was blowing through the marquee we were under - and believe me, I'm not complaining about that after sitting under a plastic Ku Klux Klan sheet at Withdean for the past few years.

As for the game - Hoskins is clearly your trump card and at times I was impressed with the way you played it on the ground. It just seemed to be a case of running out of ideas and struggling to cope with the likes of Bennett, Murray, Noone etc.

Obviously, the end result helps but we had a really good day at a really friendly club and I genuinely hope you turn it round :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My first visit to Rovers. Found it really easy to park, extremely friendly staff from the bloke who sold us the programme to the chap who was dishing out the chicken balti pies which were phenomenal - I had two.

Some great tunes played prior to kick off and a very nice atmosphere throughout - even though I felt like Scott of the Antarctic when the wind was blowing through the marquee we were under - and believe me, I'm not complaining about that after sitting under a plastic Ku Klux Klan sheet at Withdean for the past few years.

As for the game - Hoskins is clearly your trump card and at times I was impressed with the way you played it on the ground. It just seemed to be a case of running out of ideas and struggling to cope with the likes of Bennett, Murray, Noone etc.

Obviously, the end result helps but we had a really good day at a really friendly club and I genuinely hope you turn it round :thumbsup:

echo that

their stewards were excellent

if there was an award for the friendliest /most welcoming club in the league they would be winning it for me so far this season

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Good luck with your new stadium as well.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting game.....Rovers reminded me of what we were like under Adams - lacking in skill, with no obvious game plan. I can't believe the Rovers coaching staff had watched us, as they seemed quite happy to let us play our passing game (Orient on Tuesday was a great lesson in how to close us down, but apparently that lesson wasn't learned). Defence and midfield (with the exception of Hoskins) were woeful. And why Kuffour didn't start is a mystery....I thought Howe was a joke up front. Unfortunately for a number of my Rovers-supporting friends at work, I can see them going down quite easily(unless they can get Russell Slade in pronto!!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would they be any better in defence with Tunnicliffe playing, as obviously he couldnt play yesterday.

Also think they have made a mistake appointing Penney as manager as I think a better answer would have been Martin Allen who is proven in this division and a strict disciplinarian.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Very friendly club: I forgot I had a bottle of water on me when I went to go into the ground and when the steward picked up on it I said she could just chuck it away, but they were most insistent on giving me a plastic glass to pour the water into so it didn't go to waste :lol:

I thought Rovers were at least attempting to play football, and scored a tidy goal, but that said, I also felt we stuck to our principles in spite of the crap start, and never panicked or resorted to chasing the game. The longer it went on, the more confident I was that we'd score. Most teams lately have pressed us high up the pitch to try and stop us building from the back, but either this message hadn't filtered back to Dave Penney or the Rovers players weren't intelligent enough to take it on board, as I was pleasantly surprised at how much room Greer and El Abd had to knock it around, and how easily Dicker found acres of space.

Once the first Albion goal went in, it was noticeable how much the Rovers' players heads dropped, and I could only see them conceding more. There seemed to be a sense of "here we go again", because of the run they're on, and we took advantage of that. The own goal was extremely unlucky, but it's what happens when you're at the bottom (and what happens in your favour when you're at the top). Danny Coles never, ever plays well against us, the full backs were easily beaten and I didn't feel the keeper was that dominant. Hoskings was a menace though, and Kalala, while a bit agricultural, at least got in people's faces for a while.

I was a bit surprised to hear the boos at the end, didn't feel your players deserved that. I've seen worse teams this season, at least Rovers tried to attack. I thought perhaps it was for the referee, even though I didn't think he made any game changing decisions.

Oh, and can the Rovers fans in the Blackthorn end PLEASE PLEASE learn the rules when it comes to handball? How many idiots were calling for a red card for Murray when he apparently punched the ball into the net? Now that did make you look stupid. The booking was the correct decision.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Can we please sign Hoskins in a loan swop in return for bolstering your team with Tunnicliffe, Elphick and a couple of flair Argentinian players?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here