Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring Back Glen Hoddle

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
so does that mean if you go to church, you cant be a manager in your local supermarket?

No, but if you shout down the tannoy about the disabled person in aisle eight paying for their sins aswell as their shopping, you'd get your P45.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
so does that mean if you go to church, you cant be a manager in your local supermarket?

If you're going to bring the religion in to the job you shouldn't be, yes. However I can't actually remember if Hoddle did or not - I know it was the disabled comment that got him fired, but didn't he bring "faith healers" in to see the squad at some stage?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
'If I'd just behaved I could've been made of Meccano like everyone else' *sob*

Under Hoddle, they played the most organised, and quintessentially 'English' game we had ever seen. Proper team-work, excellent passing game, amazing to watch, no deadwood and every man positionally ideal.

That he was a top player might draw comparison with Keegan - though the latter was tactically hopeless, and the former wasn't.

The things said that got him fired, would have got him fired from any public job, and rightly so. Plus, he was getting weirder by the minute, and surrounding himself with fakirs - it didn't make it look like that would change anytime soon.

What would be nice, would be someone like him tactically, but able to keep a level head. A passionate player, respected for his ability and vision, and fully respectful for his country.

Step forward David Beckham (and get away from our sport Brian Barwick)

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
agreed NMH

does Beckham have the intellect to transfer his skills to a management/coaching role ? I fear not, BUT with the right training and assistance he could well do it in a few years, lets face it the next year or so is largely irrellevant anyway, so why not

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Reincarnation, karma and talking to mediums etc are not Christian despite what the press may report that he has said.
Reincarnation is Hindu, karma is Buddhist and mediums are Spiritualism. He's taken a bit of everything and become a mentalist.

As I said before, he isn't setting the football world alight at Wolves.

He still states he's Christian.

Jehova's Witnesses have also told me that i'm being punished by letter of the bible.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The other thing with Hoddle was that we were fairly gash in the Euro 2000 qualifiers straight after France 98 (lost in Sweden, drew at home to Bulgaria). It did have the look that Hoddle by then had lost the players.
True, but I think NMH's points above are valid. He lost the players because by that time they knew he was as mad as a box of frogs.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No, but if you shout down the tannoy about the disabled person in aisle eight paying for their sins aswell as their shopping, you'd get your P45.

Quite true.

Of course, were he self-employed, he could pretty much express his particular religious beliefs without fear of reprisals since he would have no employer.

Hoddle's not the only manager who's caused some controversy - the French manager Raymond Domenech has at least one bizarre eyebrow-raising belief based on astrology causing him to seemingly distrust about 1/12th of the world's population:

"Domenech's management style has also raised eyebrows amongst players and fans. A keen amateur dramatist and astrologer, Domenech has admitted to distrusting scorpios, such as Robert Pirès." (from Wikipedia)

As NMH says, Hoddle was an excellent England manager who got the team playing attractive and enterprising football. People say 'Never go back' with regards to managers returning to former clubs. I think this would apply to Hoddle and England - even though the FA would realistically never appoint him again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would bringing Glenn back be sufficient punishment for things he'd done in a previous life then?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Would bringing Glenn back be sufficient punishment for things he'd done in a previous life then?

I wonder what we've all done previously to deserve Steve McClaren for so long.:lol:

At risk of being hated...

Surely it doesn't matter what a person's opinon on an unrelated topic is providing they're the best choice for the job. You wouldn't refuse to employ someone on religious grounds, in fact, it's illegal. Doesn't the Hindu belief system work along the same themes(?) ; that one is punished in a later life for indiscretions in this one. *Might have got confused on this one, long time since I did RE*

If he is actually crap in the field of football managing, then fair enough.

Actually, it clearly goes againgst the FA legal obligations under the Disability Discrimination Act , he may have private views but they need to be kept private, if they go public, they should be treated as such.

As a side, since leaving England, he hasn't actually set the world alight has he?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hoddle had lost the players. He'd do it again. Spirituality and international footballers go together like tanks and grapes.

I could never work out whether he worded it wrongly or just has no understanding of the actual concept of karma.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hoddle was a tactically astute manager, but unfortunately he was also an insufferable prick who was actively despised by most of the players.

That basically sums him up!

Mind you anybody who could get the best out of Nick Barmby well there is a fine line between Genius and Mad!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
(and get away from our sport Brian Barwick)

The same Brian Barwick who when involved with the Egg Chasers saw a picture of Will Carling and said who is this?

He had to be reminded that he was (at the time) the current England captain...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here