Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's New Manager

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No good taking on a manager from a higher league as we need somebody who can operate of a lousy budget which is exactly why Coppell is so good with a club in our position.

Having seen pretenders like Taylor 'come down' to teams in our situation they tend to struggle as they can't handle the constraints. It rarely happens anyway, can you imagine say, Brian Robson here ?

the teabag

Sep 25, 2003
brighy town
get stevey cotterill in, experienced and talented, and we wont need to buy new training kits because he has the same initials!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
the teabag said:
get stevey cotterill in, experienced and talented, and we wont need to buy new training kits because he has the same initials!

We do not need long-ball, neck testing football that Cotterill's teams play.

Dowie? At least Oldham play on the ground

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The loyal long ball Cotterill - No thanks

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Helga, Get your drift, although can't quite square it with Taylor who squandered millions at Leicester in the Prem.

Weezle, would you consider Terry Burton, ex Womble, (what's he up to now) from your premise?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Weezle said:
He's working on a non-contract basis - his choice, for this kind of eventuality. Oldham would have no choice. Dowie even came out in public and said he wanted the West Ham job!

he would he is a legend there. it would be like hoddle going back to spurs

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bromley shrimp said:

Weezle, would you consider Terry Burton, ex Womble, (what's he up to now) from your premise?

:lolol: :lolol: Sadly the choice isn't up to me. TB is quite a good manager, but hasn't had a record of any success. Cotterill has won several promotions, whilst Dowie took Oldham to the play-offs last year and is doing wonders despite having to play with half his youth team due to his 'stars' being sold off behind his back. I think Oldham would have been top 3 this year if Dowie had have been able to keep his squad.

Just remember how good we've got it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A lot of people will want the job.

Personally I would stick Hinsh/Booker in temp charge again. Yes we sacked Hinsh but they both know the players and its not far from Hinsh's team last year (which is good enough for this league).

When a good manager becomes available snap him up. None of the names mentioned fill me with any exictment but the best two have to be Dowie/Kinnear.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The best thing possible is for a new manager to come in the same day the old one goes. We do not want a long gap and we do not want any of the back room boys moving up.

Dowie would be good - sensational to get a bunch of loan signings at Oldham into mid table. They were dreadful first day of the season so he has worked wonders there.

Lush

Mods' Pet
West Ham pissed on Reading, so Reading piss on us, so we piss on poor old Oldham. Can't help thinking there's something very unsavoury about appointing Dowie.

I still think it will be Booker and Hinsh until Christmas when Falmer gets the go-ahead and we can offer a proper contract to somebody.

That's if Steve goes, of course....

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Dowie is the by far and away the best option. Another big Palace connection though, Taylor, Coppell, Dowie, its like a 70's, 80's, 90's Palace nightmare...
I can't believe someone seriously mentioned Hinch as a possible stop gap. THE MAN IS COMPLETE SHIT. HE IS ONLY STILL INVOLVED WITH THE CLUB BECAUSE DK IS TOO NICE. Please god dont tet him any where near the 1st team because I garuntee we'll start plummetting down the league. "The most honest bunch of players Ive ever worked with"... :shootself

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There is absolutely no point waiting until Falmer is anounced!

Dowie is a quality manager and we would be pleased to have him with or without the news. If he joins us now, he is hardly likely to jump ship in the next couple of onths before the anouncement. The squad needs continuity not temporary mangers in between!

As for screwing Oldham over tho. i do feel bad. But hey, it's the way of the world - it's been done to us and they may do it to someone else - it's part of the football pyramid!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Why do we constantly reduce ourselves to slagging potential candidates just because they have connections with Palace ?
For f***'s sake its in the past.
Ian Dowie is a good young manager who although not my first choice, will do a good job if he comes to us and should take over where SC has left off. I have no doubt he has the credentials to take us back up to Div1, and the sort of young manager who could take us into the Falmer era.
As for Hinshey he has made it no secret that SC has the Reading job and has told anyone who cares to listen, no love lost between them obviously. I hope that DK sees through him and puts Booker in charge for Grimsby, them an appointment next Monday as Ian Dowie new manager of BHAFC.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Peter Reid - talk sense !!!!
According to the papers he's on £800k at Leeds - how the hell are we gonna compete with that????

.....and besides which - he's on his way down. I agree that we need a young ambitious manager.

Steve Coppell is his name. :bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here