Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's New Library - Pukka Pies

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cycled down to check out the lib for it's grand opening today (being a sad bastard) and was about 25th in the queue. Amazing technology when you check out your own books - you just put the pile of books between two scanners and on the display it instantly shows you the titles of all of the books and prints out a receipt with book titles and return dates. Pukka Pies indeed.
:clap:

The City Council have not just built a new library, they have created a new bit of public open space in the city centre. There's still some building going on (an office block), but when that is finished, I think we'll find that Jubilee Street will become an exciting place to be and the venue of choice for all sorts of outdoor activities- certainly better than the area outside Churchill Square.

The fact that the big square in front of the Library and the Swimming Pool is completely traffic free is another bonus.

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It looks good. The only thing is that North Laine traders are worried that their rents will go up. If any petition comes around, we should sign, as we don't want to lose the quirky shops that give it its character. And, it should serve Pukka Pies. I'd definitely make a trip down there then.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
The City Council have not just built a new library, they have created a new bit of public open space in the city centre. There's still some building going on (an office block), but when that is finished, I think we'll find that Jubilee Street will become an exciting place to be and the venue of choice for all sorts of outdoor activities- certainly better than the area outside Churchill Square.

The fact that the big square in front of the Library and the Swimming Pool is completely traffic free is another bonus.

is there enough room for a stadium !! :lolol: coat

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I think we'll find that Jubilee Street will become an exciting place to be

Bless you, Lord B, for being the first person in history to describe a library to be an exciting place to be!

only kidding, it does look decent, for once (and, furthermore, it's a miracle in itself that they managed to build ANYTHING in the centre of Brighton without a whole queue of NIMBYs moaning about it).

Altogether now

"Gone to the library/You should have gone to the library/Gone to the library"

:p :lolol:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was there for about 10.30 ish. A fantastic building, which will be used for generations to come.

Put simply a great use for what has been wasteland.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
i went there on tuesday night for a pre-launch opening party. its very very smart inside and worth a look

i mean you can rent ps2 games, they have loads of DVDs and CDs too.

I used to work at the library at vantage point. its an incredible contrast.from 1 cramped floor in a 70s eyesore, to that huge purpose built building.

its an asset to brighton:)

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
sounds superb - love a good book I do!! shall duly take a visit - although the though a library sold pies would have had me rushing there sooner!! :lol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
well..you never know;)

i just want to work for them again

£5.80 an hour to a 17 year old is incredible.especially when all I did was shelve books and look out for the library's more attractive regulars(which surprisingly there were....the art student type;)) and just shelve near them for about 30mins

ahhhh marvellous scenes.heh!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Working in library in London myself I am really pleased and proud to see this library opening.

We must never understimate the importance of access to information. Never trust a politician who advocates closing libraries.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Shame the cafe doesn't open until September!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Brighton and Lewes get new libraries. What about Seaford and Newhaven.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cheeky Monkey said:
Seaford Library was upgraded last year I believe.

You're right. But it's still poor for the size of the town. Same old books too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I went in there and had a look around about a month ago. Very impressive building and a definite long-awaited asset to the city. It even explains how the place is heated - very efficiently.

Hard to imagine that that site was left dormant for over 35 years before being built - a travesty.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here