Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's New Library - Pukka Pies

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
dougdeep said:
You're right. But it's still poor for the size of the town. Same old books too.

50% of Seaford library is given up to large print Mills and Boon or Catherine Cookson DD so what do you expect? (retired ladies of leisure have to be catered for you know). The other 50% is given up to Military History - from Cromwell to Bravo Two Zero (retired men of leisure have to be catered for you know).

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
bigc said:

I used to work at the library at vantage point. its an incredible contrast.from 1 cramped floor in a 70s eyesore, to that huge purpose built building.

Is Vantage Point that crappy tower block in New England Street?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The City Council have not just built a new library, they have created a new bit of public open space in the city centre. There's still some building going on (an office block), but when that is finished, I think we'll find that Jubilee Street will become an exciting place to be and the venue of choice for all sorts of outdoor activities- certainly better than the area outside Churchill Square.

The fact that the big square in front of the Library and the Swimming Pool is completely traffic free is another bonus.

Which must be wonderful if you live in Firle.:lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Is Vantage Point that crappy tower block in New England Street?

yeah. what a place for a library.lol was falling apart.I remember the buildings manager came in one morning, and everyone else was busy, so I had to deal with him, I felt like Manuel from that fawlty towers. boss is, boss is..(looks round) I boss!

it was a great laugh working there though.maybe oneday I'll get to work in the Jubilee Library, i bloody hope so;)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A little article in Private Eye this week.

They claim the reason there are so many DVDs and CDs is that that libraries are allowed to charge for them.

A builder in Brighton found loads of books (from the old library) dumped on a tip - and managed to save a few to distribute around the charity shops of Brighton.

( .. just repeating what Private Eye said, I never visited the old library and will probably never see the new one )

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
erm f*** off private eye!

the books they threw away were probably crap. in vantage point there was the dreaded fourth floor. full of books last taken out while the Tories still were in power. the exciting titles included "voyaging on a small budget" and "mask painting revealed".

there was so much crap up there..if any of that was on the tip....no loss

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've worked in libraries too and there are a number of books that lose all relevance after a period of time that are usually disposed. The ruke of thumb is to keep one copy and bin or sell the rest.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
where is the new library? been away from home for ages. also, has the new building by the clock tower finished being built yet?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Whatever happened to that lovely old clock that used to stand just inside the entrance of the old library in Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here