Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's hardcore support.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm a HARDCORE fan, I listened to the game on the Radio whilst watching our arch enemies get twatted by Chelsea :jester:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Unfortunately this is playing into the hands of those who maintain Withdean is adequate for HOME support which I would put at between 6 - 7000 but not away, at least in this division.

Until we have a situation similar to that at the Goldstone where you can just decide to roll up half an hour before kick off and pay on the gate with no questions asked, no passport needed and no criminal record database check/cornea scan required then numbers will always be lower than our potential draw. Obviously this is not possible at Withdean, and I fear that if we do get Falmer then we will still not enjoy the freedoms we had at the Goldstone in terms of deciding to go to the game at the last minute, or at least deciding on the day itself.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Its FOOTBALL, not footy.....or soccer, or foota, or any other stupid name

Know this sounds like an irrational gripe, but that word "footy" winds me up something chronic :nono: :wave:

What's wrong with soccer?

Cheeky Monkey said:
Until we have a situation similar to that at the Goldstone where you can just decide to roll up half an hour before kick off and pay on the gate with no questions asked, no passport needed and no criminal record database check/cornea scan required then numbers will always be lower than our potential draw. Obviously this is not possible at Withdean, and I fear that if we do get Falmer then we will still not enjoy the freedoms we had at the Goldstone in terms of deciding to go to the game at the last minute, or at least deciding on the day itself.
Spot on that Man.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think it's just us, Southampton had their first sub 30,000 crowd last Saturday since going to St. Marys and attendances will probably slip at a few other grounds too this year. I think many people have reached saturation level with football and are being a bit more choosy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Cheeky Monkey said:
deciding to go to the game at the last minute, or at least deciding on the day itself.

The believe plan for Falmer is that you will be able to decide on the day to go, assuming it isn't already sold out. You'll have to buy your match tickets at the station then getting the train to Falmer. I know it's a compromise, but at least you can make the decision on the day.

As for hardcore fans, I think anyone who has a season ticket at Withdean, or goes regularly to watch them at Withdean is pretty hardcore, let's face it, it's the worst ground in the country.

Also anyone who uses the club coach to all the away games, wealthy and hardcore.

The rest of the away support must be commended also, as do all those of us who remember blocking the Old Shoreham Road after an evening match, the boycott, the subsequent breaking and entering, the walk out, Hereford, Gillingham on a Tuesday night, in fact, pretty much most of the fans whoe watch the Albion now must be regarded as hardcore.

We have a unique club, we have survived unique situations over the past 7 or 8 years and we have a unique fanbase made up of young and old, all passionate about the Albion.

Hardcore, I'd say each and every one of us in some way or another.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Uncle Buck said:
There is the Withdean generation, a lot of which frequent this board and make songs no one else really gets These people are lucky enough to have seen nothing but success.

Then there are those that have been through all the crap of the 90's, the Lincoln invasions, chasing the coach back from Rochdale, going to Bill's for tea after Wigan, getting Bullshiti chucked off the train at Bridgend and then putting up with the dross at Pissfield.

Unfortunately I am not old enough to have gone to the games in the 90s when all these exciting things happened. I am sure if we chased a coach back from Rochdale or went to Bellotti's for tea tomorrow, then I would attend.

What you are forgetting Piers, is that some of this so called Withdean generation (I think I would have to be part of the Gillingham generation), have done things such as stand outside Prescott's office all day in the cold campaigning for our ground, and handing out leaflets and getting petitions signed all day for a week in Brighton (also in the cold.)

PS, many of your songs are so old that no one without grey hair gets them! :)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
munster monch said:
I'd say it is defined by the fans that will turn up whatever the league a team is in and will watch any old shit that's put before them week in week out.

what about people who live 200 miles away and simply cannot make it to midweek games??

does it mean we are not hardcore????

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I was there that night, it was Guy Fawkes night and the lowest crowd ever.

I remember the Barnet coach driving past as I was walking to the ground with all their fans giving it the large one.

I guess he who laughs last laughs longest....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You cannot start to catagorise fans:

We all support the club some more than others, it is a choice no matter which club you support.

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
Beach Hut said:
You cannot start to catagorise fans:

We all support the club some more than others, it is a choice no matter which club you support.

I totally agree with you Beachie. We are all fans irrespective of the number of games we are able to attend.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Raphael Meade said:
gillingham was RUBBISH. having to leave before lunchtime and get back late evening...

That's virtually the same journey as I have to make to every game at Withdean! Something like a 100 mile round trip just to sit in the pissing rain. That plus the hassle of getting tickets, especially as I work odd hours and am often required to work Saturdays make it more trouble than it's worth.

When I can pay on the gate, choose to attend at short notice and sit under a roof I will attend far more than the handful of games a season that I do at the moment. I'm sure that may others are in a similar situation.

Loads of people will have been put off by the ballot system, I know I failed to get tickets on more occassions than I was successful, particularly in the championship seasons.

When you talk about hardcore support do you really mean people who can get to games easily because they are a, local and b, can afford a season ticket?

I would love to go to more games if only I could, that's why I am so desperate to get Falmer.

brisgull

Oct 2, 2003
bristol
Would have loved to have been there last night, coming up the M4 with the northern half of Bristol (ha ha!) but couldnt get time off work.

Had a season ticket for last three seasons but couldnt afford it this year and the petrol costs as well. Plus my holiday allowance from work was being seriously used up by evening games as I have to take a half day for each one!

Will be there on Saturday and going to Leicester, even though Monday is the only day this weekend that Bloke is not working! Priorities have to be right!

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
What a bunch of gonads this thread is - there are supporters (who support the club in any way they can - may not mean going to games....) and followers (who show an interest in the club and follow the news).

Oh - and there are those that have no interest in BHAFC - or even football - so what?

There are some supporters who disagree with other supporters - and some that go to home games but not away games. They are still supporters. You either support, follow or don't care - I support - don't need to justify how or why I just do. This isn't a knob measuring competition. Let's leave the competing to the field of play and support for all were worth (or as much as you can - no judgement here - honest).

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Del Boy said:
or maybe some of us can't be bothered to pay full price for a mickey mouse competition, in which you sit out in the rain and cold, and not allowed to enjoy yourself?

Why Mickey Mouse? - it's not the LDV and the final's at the Millennium Stadium. We're not Manure supporters who seem to think that anything less than the Champion's League is infra dig!

Charlies Shinpad said:
Hardcore was going to Gillingham on a Wedneday night ,to see us lose 4-0 to Barnet before a crowd of just over 1,000

They were the hardcore fans!!

I was one of them by the way:eek:

I remember that. Wasn't it 3-0, though? Crowd was 1,025 if mt memory serves. Man United were playing Barcelona on the telly, it was freezing cold and ex-Orient bastard Christie scored in front of us.

The best part of the night was the fireworks going off behind the away end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here