Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton's Best kept secret

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Along similar lines, the Kemp Town Enclosures, which I think are normally only open to residents of Lewes Crescent and Sussex Square. I was on a study weekend in Brighton and Hove with the Georgian Group back in 2012 (I was into Georgian architecture at the time, and had just finished a Masters degree on John Nash). One of the leaders lived in Lewes Crescent and took us into the Enclosures. There is a private tunnel which leads under Marine Parade to a terrace overlooking the sea. The leader told us that Lewis Carroll is thought to have got the inspiration for Alice through the Looking Glass from it.

This?

Annotation 2020-06-19 151706.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Booth's Museum in Dyke Road is/was pretty much a well kept secret in that I never ever met anybody else who went there apart from me and me kids when they were little. Not sure what was the more creepy, the exhibits or the curator. We last went there in the early nineties. Doubt the creepy curator's still there. Probably been stuffed and mounted by now :ohmy:

He was still there 4 months ago :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My mum spent some months there in 1963 when she was pregnant with my little brother. I never found out why, exacly.

I remember being tested at school for TB around that time, and several girls showing a large reaction.[/QUOTE]

Ah! Interesting.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
There are a few Royal Observer Corps nuclear bunkers around and I worked in some. The one on Whitehawk hill has been demolished I believe. Once secret their whereabouts is now in the public domain.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I may have posted this before, as it has disturbed me for 55 years.

A class mate told me there were secret passages from St Nicholas Church and Easthill House that led under Shoreham Harbour where there was a massive underground complex with submarines and nuclear missiles.

He also told me that his dad had 'titted off' the queen.

Was your class mate a Prince?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Not really Brighton but the tunnel complex in Denton has always fascinated me. Would love to get down there one day.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There are a few Royal Observer Corps nuclear bunkers around and I worked in some. The one on Whitehawk hill has been demolished I believe. Once secret their whereabouts is now in the public domain.

I've been in one up behind Lewes prison.

In Brighton there is a bunker under Churchill Square, went in there in the 80s to do some phone stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here