Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
:eek:

In a glass case frolicking in a pastoral landscape?

No, very much alive unfortunately (even tho' claiming to be 180 odd) .... tried to get me to join in the kiddies half term stuff and made me feel a right misery guts when I declined :lolol:

I only went in 'cos it was during the pre-covid monsoon (if I'd known it was half term I'd have stayed out in the rain)

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The SS Brighton, opened in 1934 and was billed as the biggest covered swimming pool in the world. As a demonstration event one of the first swimmers to dive from the 10 metre board was former Olympic champion Johnny Weismuller, who went on to star as Tarzan on film. It closed after 15 months and re-opened 17 days later as a temporary ice rink which proved so popular it actually stayed for 30 years. When they demolished it in 1965 they found the original 'temporary' scaffolding, that had been used to support the Ice Surface, and it hadn't moved an inch!
It was also home to one of the best ice hockey teams in the UK, the Brighton Tigers, and I was lucky enough to have a season ticket for their last year there. The atmosphere in the SS Brighton on Sunday match nights was unbelievable, I think they could get about 3500 people in, and they used to say you could hear if Tigers scored as far up as the Clock Tower.

SS_Brighton_souvenir_brochure_exterior_shot_1934_400wide.jpg ss_brighton_pool-477x450.jpg
img040-477x300.jpg
This is an older photo of the Tigers although most of them were in the team that I saw in 64/65.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The SS Brighton, opened in 1934 and was billed as the biggest covered swimming pool in the world. As a demonstration event one of the first swimmers to dive from the 10 metre board was former Olympic champion Johnny Weismuller, who went on to star as Tarzan on film. It closed after 15 months and re-opened 17 days later as a temporary ice rink which proved so popular it actually stayed for 30 years. When they demolished it in 1965 they found the original 'temporary' scaffolding, that had been used to support the Ice Surface, and it hadn't moved an inch!
It was also home to one of the best ice hockey teams in the UK, the Brighton Tigers, and I was lucky enough to have a season ticket for their last year there. The atmosphere in the SS Brighton on Sunday match nights was unbelievable, I think they could get about 3500 people in, and they used to say you could hear if Tigers scored as far up as the Clock Tower.

View attachment 125114 View attachment 125115
View attachment 125116
This is an older photo of the Tigers although most of them were in the team that I saw in 64/65.

Despite not being convinced by the Tiger, there's got to be a market for the jersey:-

tigers.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here