Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton were on the brink after Norwich's second bid..Gus reveals

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus....

Norwich made three bids.

Gus says that 'i was worried about losing him after the second offer, it was a tough decision, a difficult one for the club, credit to the chairman' 'I was never in the position where I was the one stopping him, or letting him go'

Then Norwich came back with a third and final bid.

Asked if a £1 million bid was accurate. Gus' It was getting close, it wasn't about about how much, they really pushed him' 'they made it very difficult'

Bennett now to decide on whether to withdraw his transfer request

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well he's still with us. What matters now is that he keeps performing to his ability and shows the Chairman and manager that they were right to fight to keep him. No sulking, just keep improving and put yourself in a bigger shop window

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A superb move by the chairman and one that will further persuade the manager of the club's ambitions. It is difficult to attach any blame to Bennett over this. Norwich would have offered him a very tempting contract and it is to his credit that, once he had put in his transfer request, he apparently made no attempt to rock the boat. ...in spite of Norwich "really pushing him". He deserves a tremendous "welcome back" when he next plays and I'm temped to go to Orient just to join in.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In fairness to Bennett he has conducted himself well by respecting the clubs wishes in staying quiet. No doubt Norwich were dangling a significant wage rise in his face which would have been very tempting. It is so reassuring to know that Bloom will not be moved unless he actually chooses to and decides it's in the best interest of the club.

As for Bennet's career, if he helps us to promotion then he will have a whole range of options in the summer, including an improved deal and prospects with us or a larger range of suitors than our friends from East Anglia. What better incentive could he have to help us realise the promotion dream.

This club has changed, and in a seriously good way. Onwards and upwards and bring on the resurgent O's!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
just think its great that Brighton were/are in a position to turn down the first bid in the first place let alone 3 bids, amazing how times have change for the better, onwards and upwards...

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Same. Luckily Tony deals in bigger numbers than Norwich could afford!

Absolutely this.

We have a WORLD CLASS poker player as chairman. I reckon NO ONE in the football world could out do him. A few years ago we probably would have accepted peanuts.

And Trigger is right close to a million is nowhere, nowhere near enough. Six fingered, carrot crunching MORONS. Find your own f***ing players or pay the right price. *****.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Now online

Poyet relieved to hang on to star man From The Argus)

Albion have kept hold of Elliott Bennett after rejecting THREE bids from Norwich.

The transfer window closed last night with Bennett still an Albion player, to the huge relief of manager Gus Poyet.

Chairman Tony Bloom stood firm, despite a final offer approaching £1million from Norwich for the Seagulls’ star man.

Norwich were known to have made one bid for Bennett. Now Poyet has confirmed how keen they were to land him by revealing to The Argus: “There were three. It was very, very difficult because it was quite a good offer, I would say a very good offer.”

Asked if reports of a £1milion bid were accurate, Poyet said: “They were getting close but it wasn’t about how much, it was the way they did it, the way they pushed him. They really showed an interest which made it very, very difficult, so credit to the chairman.

“It’s an absolute relief, great news for me as the manager. Sometimes we need to be selfish but I was never in a situation where I was the one stopping him or letting him go.

“I understand the situation because I was a player and I try to treat them the way I wanted to be treated as a player.

“I was worried about losing him after the second offer. It was a very tough decision, a difficult one for the club and the whole future of Brighton, so you have to give credit to the chairman.”

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As for Bennet's career, if he helps us to promotion then he will have a whole range of options in the summer, including an improved deal and prospects with us or a larger range of suitors than our friends from East Anglia. What better incentive could he have to help us realise the promotion dream.

I like Elliott as a player and am really glad Tony Bloom didn't blink. Elliott has soured himself, not by wanting to better his wages (we would all want that) but by submitting a transfer request in the middle of the season when we are storming the League. He knows he is a good player and he know clubs will want him in the summer. Why couldn't he just sit out the next few months? He has now given ammunition to those who will see every misplaced pass/shot, bad game he has to berate him from the stands. Lets hope he puts in a few stormers!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd venture there is no other club in League 1, probably few in Championship, who could turn down a £1million offer for a midfielder. not having to sell key players is probably as important as being able to get them in the first place. just shows its so important to have a chairman who is wealthy and a fan, not looking at investment returns, while happy to put money in looking to the future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seriously, Tony Bloom :bowdown:

Gus one thing very WRONG though. No way was a bid 'close to million' a 'very good offer' for Bennett.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like Elliott as a player and am really glad Tony Bloom didn't blink. Elliott has soured himself, not by wanting to better his wages (we would all want that) but by submitting a transfer request in the middle of the season when we are storming the League. He knows he is a good player and he know clubs will want him in the summer. Why couldn't he just sit out the next few months? He has now given ammunition to those who will see every misplaced pass/shot, bad game he has to berate him from the stands. Lets hope he puts in a few stormers!

To some extent I agree with that. I would have been furious with him had he insisted on going. However I do get the feeling that the agent had a big part to play in this whole scenario and bennett wilted under the pressure of advice from his representative (who I presume he trusts) and the possible riches on show from Norwich. I now fully expect Bennett to put in some of those storming performances of which you speak. Starting tonight!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Nothing to add

So THIS to the whole thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here