Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Bognor

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sounds like Forster did bugger all again. No surprise there...

Not sure how many pre-season friendlies you've been to. I been to a fair few over the last few years and one thing I've learned is they absolutely no indication at all about individual players performance or even that of the team.

Important all the same, but really an extended training session.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Was Anybody Here At The Game????? Was 'ash Robinson' The Ex-palace Ash Robinson????

if it was from what ive seen from my surfing wud be a great scoop. doubt it tho as fuhlam were interested the other week n now hes on his way to us? what? wud take him tho!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not sure how many pre-season friendlies you've been to. I been to a fair few over the last few years and one thing I've learned is they absolutely no indication at all about individual players performance or even that of the team.

Important all the same, but really an extended training session.

Thats a silly comment.So does trialists fall into your comment

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thats a silly comment.So does trialists fall into your comment

Of course, not - but trialists within the season only really get their chance to show their worth in reserve games or training.

My point (not silly - even you can't agree) is someone would rather gauge Forster on the basis of a couple of pre-season friendlies rather than his performances last season.

From a fans point of view, they are probably best avoided if you want to see a great performance.

I been to may pre-season friendlies over the last few years and have seen the same kind of performance from a variety of players.

I take your point on trialists to a certain extent, but they will depend on their current status within the game.

To suggest Forster isn't up to it on the basis of a pre-season performance is idiotic.

Last edited:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Just back, trialists.....left back did ok, Robinson was way out of his depth IMHO, looked unfit and kept giving the ball away, Mcleod looks a good signing, sweet left foot, game was more confortable than 4-2, although always try to play good football....Gargan looks a good prospect as well

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Right so Forster is a pile of shit again, oh dear

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Don't read too much into it as only a friendly but good performances from McLeod (great 1st goal as well), Cox and we looked good at the back. Sullivan made some good saves but looked nervous and Dixon was non existant until he was subbed.

Bognor gave a good account of themselves we looked like we should at this stage a team playing for fitness and touch without any real edge to our performance. Overall considering the line up looked ok and with the other half playing tomorrow looks like we will have a strong squad for the coming season

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Of course, not - but trialists within the season only really get their chance to show their worth in reserve games or training.

My point (not silly - even you can't agree) is someone would rather gauge Forster on the basis of a couple of pre-season friendlies rather than his performances last season.

From a fans point of view, they are probably best avoided if you want to see a great performance.

I been to may pre-season friendlies over the last few years and have seen the same kind of performance from a variety of players.

I take your point on trialists to a certain extent, but they will depend on their current status within the game.

To suggest Forster isn't up to it on the basis of a pre-season performance is idiotic.

Fair enough.It baffles me how a manager can judge a player on one game.The trialist must be under alot of pressure to perform.Nerves must also play there part.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fair enough.It baffles me how a manager can judge a player on one game.The trialist must be under alot of pressure to perform.Nerves must also play there part.

Well at least me agree on something :lolol:

I'm baffled by the trialist thing too, especially anyone from non league.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

They don't judge them on just one match though, a lot of it is based on what they see in training, the attitude they show there, as well as ability, how they intergrate with the rest of the squad can go a long way to securing a deal and may be just as important as how they play in a match.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
They don't judge them on just one match though, a lot of it is based on what they see in training, the attitude they show there can go a long way to securing a deal over how they may play in a match.
But these two trialists must of arrived today or yesterday.Not alot of time to judge a player

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
But these two trialists must of arrived today or yesterday.Not alot of time to judge a player

Yes but we don't know if they are going to be for the weekend game against Lewes yet. They might not have had much of a pre season thus far, and are two weeks behind most players in their preperations for the season, so 45 mins is all Adams felt was right for them tonight. Most of the players that went to Ireland only played 45mins so its not that much of a big deal.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Bognor 2 Albion 4.

Kevin McLeod scored two goals and was involved in another as Albion won 4-2 in a friendly at Bognor tonight.

McLeod produced a ferocious finish to open the scoring on 12 minutes, then crossed for the Tommy Elphick header which restored the Seagulls' advantage eight minutes from the break.
advertisement

Albion's third goal, five minutes into the second period, was something of a fluke as McLeod's inswinging free kick evaded everybody and found its way just inside the far post.

There was no doubting the quality of the final goal midway through the half, however, as Sean Cox scored following a lovely run down the left and one-two with sub Sam Gargan.

Albion did not have it all their own way.

Bognor's new look line up enjoyed a very good first half spell which saw Duncan Jupp bring them level at 1-1 and then Sam Beck have a penalty well saved low down by John Sullivan.

Alex Fisher hit the Rocks' second goal from outside the box two minutes from time.

Another trialist :dunce:

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
Pretty good game....have to say bognor looked pretty threatening and fairly good, prob deserved to go ahead at 1-1, pleased to see john sullivan playing and looking good. Even Johnny Dixon didnt look terrible today, header off the bar that should have gone in.
2nd half was a lot better when whing changed sides and coxy had some deadly touches.... him and macca were looking like they may get on well on pitch.
Livermore didnt look amazing but then its a friendly you dont expect players to give it there all.
Why is everyone so hard on forster??? (well not everone) Seems like the english culture of building a player up and then relishing in his down fall prevails.
I still think hes got a season or two in him. But what do i know
I certainly thought a certain mr gargan looked really good when he came on for dixon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here