Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Bognor

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Pretty good game....have to say bognor looked pretty threatening and fairly good, prob deserved to go ahead at 1-1, pleased to see john sullivan playing and looking good. Even Johnny Dixon didnt look terrible today, header off the bar that should have gone in.
2nd half was a lot better when whing changed sides and coxy had some deadly touches.... him and macca were looking like they may get on well on pitch.
Livermore didnt look amazing but then its a friendly you dont expect players to give it there all.
Why is everyone so hard on forster??? (well not everone) Seems like the english culture of building a player up and then relishing in his down fall prevails.
I still think hes got a season or two in him. But what do i know
I certainly thought a certain mr gargan looked really good when he came on for dixon.

player ratings?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Pretty good game....have to say bognor looked pretty threatening and fairly good, prob deserved to go ahead at 1-1, pleased to see john sullivan playing and looking good. Even Johnny Dixon didnt look terrible today, header off the bar that should have gone in.
2nd half was a lot better when whing changed sides and coxy had some deadly touches.... him and macca were looking like they may get on well on pitch.
Livermore didnt look amazing but then its a friendly you dont expect players to give it there all.
Why is everyone so hard on forster??? (well not everone) Seems like the english culture of building a player up and then relishing in his down fall prevails.
I still think hes got a season or two in him. But what do i know
I certainly thought a certain mr gargan looked really good when he came on for dixon.
What about the trialists? what colour were they?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Good bit of fishing on the Fortster front. Coincidentally, my first sight of Nicky Forster in a Brighton shirt was the corresponding fixture last year. He oozed class that night and it was clear from those 90 minutes that he was a great signing. Sometimes you can tell a great deal from a friendly

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
What about the trialists? what colour were they?

Well none were baz savages if thats what you mean. Well before i went i didnt check the website i thought that they were some obscure youth/reserve player that i'd never heard of...and i dont like to be harsh but i thought they played like it too.... although robinson had a nice long throw on him.
Im shit at player ratingsbut i'll attempt it.

Sullivan- 7 (had sun in his eyes for 1st goal so maybe a tad harsh)
Elphick, lynch 7 (bog standard performances really, didnt play bad though)
Robinson 6 (generous)
Whing 8 (maybe slightly bias)
Cox 8 (prob 6 in 1st half though)
Macca 9 nuff said
Livermore 6
forster 6
Dixon 6
Gargan 8 (maybe slightly generous)
I cant think who i've missed....idiot

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well none were baz savages if thats what you mean. Well before i went i didnt check the website i thought that they were some obscure youth/reserve player that i'd never heard of...and i dont like to be harsh but i thought they played like it too.... although robinson had a nice long throw on him.
Im shit at player ratingsbut i'll attempt it.

Sullivan- 7 (had sun in his eyes for 1st goal so maybe a tad harsh)
Elphick, lynch 7 (bog standard performances really, didnt play bad though)
Robinson 6 (generous)
Whing 8 (maybe slightly bias)
Cox 8 (prob 6 in 1st half though)
Macca 9 nuff said
Livermore 6
forster 6
Dixon 6
Gargan 8 (maybe slightly generous)
I cant think who i've missed....idiot

Cheers for that mate.Can you do the Bognor raings as well?

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
Cheers for that mate.Can you do the Bognor raings as well?

Ha ha.... I wouldnt have a bloody clue mate... i know thast they played in white and green and the keeper let in 4 and pul hinsh keeped getting done by coxy.

I'll never make a commentator

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Ha ha.... I wouldnt have a bloody clue mate... i know thast they played in white and green and the keeper let in 4 and pul hinsh keeped getting done by coxy.

I'll never make a commentator

How may Albion were there and what was the gate?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
observations Forster looks rusty but thats it, doesn't mean "he's finished" Lynch dived in too many times without winning the ball. Whing looked comfortable at left back. Dixon will never cut the mustard for us, suggest sending him on loan to aldershot for 3 months to gain some confidence. Mcleod will be a decent signing looks quite quick with a sweet left peg. Livermore put probably one of the worst tackles i've ever seen in a pre season friendly! And wasn't even awarded a free kick.
Overall nothing spectacular but a decent 90 minutes for some of the players.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Trialists : Left back did ok, but the other guy (Ash Robinson ) would struggle in the Mid Sussex League. If Micky Adams had'nt take him off, I would have done. Livermore needs to improve too much like Richard Carpenter in his last season, kept giving the ball away. Better in the second half. How did we pay £55K for Jonny Dixon, he looks so far out of his depth, he should play alongside a lifeguard. We need Richards and I think the club should say why they have not tried to sign him or at least say he was too expensive. Big pluses, Mcleod, Cox Sullivan, Elphick, Lynch Whing and Pearson (Second half)

:albion2::cheers:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why are trialists always shit?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Surely it is better that they play shit on trial rather than Molango who was great on trial and then became shit after getting a three year contract.

What i was saying why bother.Get tried and tested free transfers.There has been plenty that have been snapped up so far.Certainly Mickey has done well so far.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What i was saying why bother.Get tried and tested free transfers.There has been plenty that have been snapped up so far.Certainly Mickey has done well so far.

Always worth a try though. Currie came to us on trial initially before he signed in 2004. I agree it is not a great way of telling how good a player is though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good bit of fishing on the Fortster front. Coincidentally, my first sight of Nicky Forster in a Brighton shirt was the corresponding fixture last year. He oozed class that night and it was clear from those 90 minutes that he was a great signing. Sometimes you can tell a great deal from a friendly

Did he catch anything and what the feck was he doing fishing ???

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
It was a decent run-out.

Sullivan didn't really have too much to do and wasn't at fault for either goal. Good save from the pen but he was about 4 yeards off his line when the ball was kicked - did well though.

I thought both trialists looked poor - gave the ball away far too much, especially Robinson. Elphick & Lynch were solid and Whing did OK

Cox was quiet in the first half but came more into it in the second. Livermore OK.

McLeod was excellent. One moment of absolute FLAIR in the second half when he picked the ball up when it went out of play and bounced the ball off the linesman's HEAD - great work.

Forster worked really hard, chasing things down and generally working well. Dixon was quiet and looked off the pace. His touch wasn't too good either. He was injured when he went off.

Subs did alright when they came on.

Bognor's pitch was superb by the way.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Hiney - I'd pretty much agree with you... though Whing was a bit out of sorts in the first half, but did Ok in the 2nd at left back.

The stand-out players for me were McLeod from dead balls and decent short passes, Livermore for a couple of excellent passes to release runners, Lynch again for some awesome distribution, Tommy Elphick for almost everything he did, and Cox in the 2nd half.

Wills did a much better job in the 2nd half than the inept Ash Robinson.

Also a big shout for SAM GARGAN who looks very classy, and I particularly liked the way he dropped deep to get the ball, but also looked very comfortable and pacey going forwards.

Nicky Forster's work rate is very impressive - although he didn't really wreak the havoc that I was hoping for against a lower league defence.

Looking forward to tonight to see the rest of the squad in action!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here