Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to outlaw 'murder music'

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
From the Beeb:

City set to outlaw 'murder music'

Music inciting hatred towards minorities will be outlawed at pubs and clubs in Brighton under council plans. Under the policy, the playing of all so-called "murder music" could lead to a venue losing its licence.

The ban would cover all music, live or recorded, allegedly inciting hatred on religious, racial or sexuality grounds.

Last year, the Concorde 2 venue in the city's gay district cancelled a show by dancehall reggae artist Buju Banton who recorded a song with homophobic lyrics.

The Jamaican singer's song, Boom Bye Bye, had lyrics referring to the shooting of gay men, and the concert was cancelled after pressure from the council, police, and the city's gay community.

He has since signed up to a commitment to ban hatred and prejudice from his music.

Councillor Dee Simson, chairwoman of the council's licensing committee, said the policy was not to be used "to harm freedom of speech".

She said: "It will be used in really extreme cases to stop the playing of what's loosely termed murder music."

And she said it was only through the venue's "goodwill" that the Buju Banton concert was cancelled last year, because the city had no "explicit policy in place to stop him from playing".

Free speech

Ms Simson added: "We have a large gay and lesbian community in Brighton and Hove and we want to protect people from facing such hatred.

"I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech but I'm against the incitement of hatred against minorities."

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, from the group OutRage!, said the authority was "to be congratulated for its decision".

"Free speech does not include the right to advocate the killing of other human beings," he said.

The city's licensing policy is being overhauled because the current guidelines expire in January.

The ban has been endorsed by two committees and is set to be approved by the full council on 13 December.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What a load of crap. If the music has been passed by British censors then there is no resason why it should be banned.

Then I guess we should also ban the National anthem as the 6th verse urges God to help commander Marshal Wade "crush" the "rebellious Scots".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a load of crap. If the music has been passed by British censors then there is no resason why it should be banned.

that argument only applies to recorded music though.

This ban covers live music too, which would never have been subject to any such scrutiny. If it means they can ban neo-nazi rock bands for example,[or those odd little twins from America] I'm comfortable with it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Fair enough, you shouldn't be able to sing or preach about hurting people. If it gets extended to being against a cirtain group then I will have a problem with it.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Then I guess we should also ban the National anthem as the 6th verse urges God to help commander Marshal Wade "crush" the "rebellious Scots".

Not forgetting Pink Floyd:

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

Best ban them, as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
agreed- f***ing police state, this country has gone to the dogs.

Me too. Couldn't agree more. When a guy can't stand on stage and preach to his fans that they should go out and shoot queers. Its f***ing ridiculous isn't it.

That could do with a comeback. Except seeing as though there have been major cuts in that department, perhaps it would be better to sing "You're not going home in a Sussex Ambulance".

It was always a bit bizarre anyway, I mean why would an ambulance take you home after a match? Surely it would take you to a medical facility where after treatment you would either be well enough to make your own way home, or make an extended stay, at the end of which one presumes you would be fine to travel. Or dead.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was a bloke in the North Stand at Goldstone who used to shout quite surreal and metaphysical chants:

You're going home with a wounded sense of pride

What's it like to have no fun

That sort of thing. Always impressed me when I was there.

There was a bloke in the North Stand at Goldstone who used to shout quite surreal and metaphysical chants:

You're going home with a wounded sense of pride

What's it like to have no fun

That sort of thing. Always impressed me when I was there.

I liked the bloke who used to shout, "C'mon my team".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here