Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton / Sussex Accents

In the 'inland' States, I got asked what language I was speaking, and even "what language do they speak in England?"
When I lived in Italy, I got asked something very similar by a seven year old American child, who had learned enough Italian to be getting on very well at the local school. He could speak fluent American and very good Italian. But he got confused when it came to having a conversation with me. His question was:- "What language are we talking?"

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
When I lived in Italy, I got asked something very similar by a seven year old American child, who had learned enough Italian to be getting on very well at the local school. He could speak fluent American and very good Italian. But he got confused when it came to having a conversation with me. His question was:- "What language are we talking?"

Brilliant:lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think Americans confuse any British accent with Australian because Hollywood and tv teaches them that British people speak like the Queen.

I work with people from the US, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. You'd think our language would be mutually intelligible but we often have to translate our conversations into American for the yanks.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
there is most definitely a Brighton accent with the male
from Brighton it does sound rather like a London accent but with the Ladies it most definitely has a sound of its own

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Americans confuse any British accent with Australian because Hollywood and tv teaches them that British people speak like the Queen.

I work with people from the US, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. You'd think our language would be mutually intelligible but we often have to translate our conversations into American for the yanks.

And yet we are clearly dechiperable to Canadians and I have spent plenty of time there too, which always leads me to what I have always believed, Canadians are intelligent Americans!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I just heard Matt Prior on the radio speaking and I guess if I was an American i could see why maybe they would think an accent like his might be Australian.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
There are both Brighton and Sussex accents, both distinct from each other. I have a Brighton one apparently. The sussex one is more of a yokle type, and the Brighton one can easily be mistaken for a Cockerney one, althogh if you are American, an Aussie.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can i just say as a BORN AND BRED BRIGHTONIAN all you need to do is listen to me for the Brighton accent nowadays. Ta muchly.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and Lord B you really should mention more the time you were in Italy. I dont think you have done before ;)

Dec 24, 2010
I don't think there's such thing as a Brighton accent, I'm at uni and regulary get mistaken for East End/Essex. (And Americans either assume Australian or just can't place me at all).

Strangely enough, I can often tell when a woman is from the Bevendean/Coldean/Hollingbury area, they sound very distinct to me :lolol:

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
I don't think there's such thing as a Brighton accent, I'm at uni and regulary get mistaken for East End/Essex. (And Americans either assume Australian or just can't place me at all).

I've lived away for 45 years, but often at away games I'll hear guys speaking and it is so distinctively East Brighton its untrue. Like nothing else. Just like cousin of mine who came from Bevendean

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I heard it said you can tell real brightonians because they don't pronounce the 't', (Brigh'un). I know i don't most the time and neither do most of my family and older friends. We were raised in Moulsecoomb (shut it) and i would describe the accent as Cockney-lite. Probably indistinguishable to the London accent on foreign ears.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here