Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton / Sussex Accents

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I guess being my own accent I'm not aware of it, but I don't think I've ever heard of a reference to a 'brighton accent'. We hear of geordie accents, scouse accents, cockney accents, brummie accents, west country accents, but never a brighton one.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I was once told i had a Worthing accent. born and bred there after 8 years up North i have finally managed to educate them Yorkshire folk to the fact i'm not from London and the difference in the acent from Sussex to London. My ex's Nan is from Chailey and she has a very strong Sussex Yokel accent.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I guess being my own accent I'm not aware of it, but I don't think I've ever heard of a reference to a 'brighton accent'. We hear of geordie accents, scouse accents, cockney accents, brummie accents, west country accents, but never a brighton one.

Geordie, Scouse, Yorkshire are general accents In yorkshire you can tell the difference between towns once you get used to it. Huddersfield is different to say Castleford as is Sheffied to Barnsley etc

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As a kid growing up in Eastbourne, I began to notice that I spoke in a slightly different accent to all my Brighton cousins. To this day I reckon I can identify a difference in the accents of people who grew up in these towns.
I heard it claimed once that the accent you carry for life is dictated by the accent you were exposed to in your late teens - which does seem a plausible theory.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My brother in law lives in Woodingdean and has a Sussex accent but his sons and daughter have Brighton accents. Me and my youngest sister have Brighton accents but my other sister speaks posh. People in Grimsby think I am from London and I still have trouble picking up what they are saying some of the time , yet people from villages in the Lincolnshire Wolds are easy to understand because they sound similar to a Sussex yokel.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I find it amusing that people think some of you have Aussie accents. Any youtubes i've heard/seen of Brightonians speaking sound nohing like Australians.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
I find it amusing that people think some of you have Aussie accents. Any youtubes i've heard/seen of Brightonians speaking sound nohing like Australians.

Couldn't agree more to all English, Australian is a very different noise, but it the same theory for a lot of people when it comes to Aussie/Kiwi and American/canadian. Obvious difference when you are around it a lot, but similar sounding if you have had limited exposure.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I can't say I really recognise the Brighton accent in Max Miller - he always sounded more London to me and this is despite the fact he was born and died not a mile from my house. Hereford Street and Burlington Street

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I can't say I really recognise the Brighton accent in Max Miller - he always sounded more London to me and this is despite the fact he was born and died not a mile from my house. Hereford Street and Burlington Street

No way, have another listen, Max has a much softer drawl than a London accent.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Geordie, Scouse, Yorkshire are general accents In yorkshire you can tell the difference between towns once you get used to it. Huddersfield is different to say Castleford as is Sheffied to Barnsley etc

That's true, but I don't recall hearing references to sussex or even southern accents.

Nowadays the accent is denegrated to a chavcent, where fewer yoof can speak perceivable English.
Sad, and sometimes I wonder if I'm becoming just like those old folks who used to say "things were better in the old days" - but one look at London Road late afternoons chocka with tattoo'd gits all 'ard with cans of beers and staffies and it's confirmation that things have slid.
They of course blame johnny foreigner for everything they aren't happy about, though they themselves are part of the reason many Brits leave The Isles for better lives abroad. Where we used to send the scum to Tasmania, it's been down-under that has been a the escape to a better land away from a prison called Mother England

Couldn't agree more to all English, Australian is a very different noise, but it the same theory for a lot of people when it comes to Aussie/Kiwi and American/canadian. Obvious difference when you are around it a lot, but similar sounding if you have had limited exposure.

The Aussie thing is interesting. I have been asked in my life at least 20 times if I'm Australian, usually by people who are not from round here. When at Uni in the west country, one of my flatmates was from Hove and we both got asked a lot.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The Aussie thing is interesting. I have been asked in my life at least 20 times if I'm Australian, usually by people who are not from round here. When at Uni in the west country, one of my flatmates was from Hove and we both got asked a lot.

Was in the US back in the summer, and was asked whether my accent "was British, Australian, or South African" - and that "they all sounded very similar ? ".

I said that the confusion was probably because we had owned all of those countries at some point in the recent past...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I used to live in South Carolina and I can quite honestly say I was asked more than 90% the time if I were Australian, sometimes I just said yes to fuel the ignorance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here