Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Sign Man City Duo

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Sorry if fixtures
Both are available for the Liverpool game :)

Gus Poyet has further strengthened his squad by adding Manchester City midfield pair Abdul Razak and Gai Assulin on loan.

Both players signed before 12 noon today, meaning the duo are available for Sunday's FA Cup fifth round tie with Liverpool at Anfield.

Albion boss Poyet has been keen to sign the pair for some time, but with City losing Yaya and Kolo Toure due to the African Cup of Nations, Roberto Mancini was reluctant to allow them to join Albion on loan until the brothers returned from international duty with the Ivory Coast.

Razak - who also hails from the Ivory Coast - has signed a 93-day short-term loan deal, which could include any potential play-off matches.

Poyet said, "Abdul is the type of midfielder I have wanted to bring into the squad for some time. He is someone we have been aware of for a while, and we have been patient - but now I am very pleased he is here because he offers something different to what we have.

"He has the type of characteristics of a midfielder I want to bring, the strength, the power to go box to box, the technical ability; he brings plenty of things we didn't have within the squad before he arrived."

Israel international Assulin has signed an initial one-month loan deal, but he too could extend that up to 93 days. Poyet added, "Gai is technically very capable, and has great ability on the ball. He showed great potential as an outstanding young talent under Pep Guardiola at Barcelona - I hope he can realise some of that potential here at Brighton."

Assulin joined City from Spanish giants Barcelona in 2010 and is yet to make his debut for Mancini's first team. The 20-year-old has made 19 appearances for the Israel under-21s and became the youngest player to be capped by the senior side against Chile in 2008, at just 16 years of age.

Razak joined the Manchester club during July 2010 and he has made five appearances for the Premier League leaders. He also gained Championship experience during a one-month loan deal at Portsmouth earlier in this season, playing three matches.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Razak - who also hails from the Ivory Coast - has signed a 93-day short-term loan deal, which could include any potential play-off matches.

Poyet said, "Abdul is the type of midfielder I have wanted to bring into the squad for some time. He is someone we have been aware of for a while, and we have been patient - but now I am very pleased he is here because he offers something different to what we have.

"He has the type of characteristics of a midfielder I want to bring, the strength, the power to go box to box, the technical ability; he brings plenty of things we didn't have within the squad before he arrived."

Pity, we will not be able to keep him ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Really!? This happened yesterday afternoon, and you think it hasn't cropped up here yet? NSC/Bozza knew about this a week or so ago!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm glad to see it on the OS - I wasn't sure to believe it until I saw that.

Worth another thread, I think - given it is now official.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Really!? This happened yesterday afternoon, and you think it hasn't cropped up here yet? NSC/Bozza knew about this a week or so ago!

This is the official announcement though

0,,10433~10499696,00.jpg

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hopefully Assulin stays for three months. He plays like Messi (although injury prone and not as good) and has so much potential that he hasn't reached yet.

Vicente AND Assulin pulling the strings in midfield? FLAIR :rave:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think we are now, if indeed we weren't already, officially the FLAIREST team in the Football League.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I believe we're the first English club to have an Iraqi and an Israeli in our squad simultaneously. Go us. :)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Assulin plays like Messi - and Razak plays like Essein. Pretty good work, I'd say!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here