Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton pubs that are no longer there

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
chez said:
Coor, she was something else that bird! Quality eye candy b4 going in the event and shagging anything on offer!!

Anything to get rid of the Lob on you had from looking down Harley's top all night mate :lolol:

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
First stop on Sat nights used to be a pub just down from the station, over the first set of traffic lights. From memory it was called 'The Feathers' or 'The White Feathers'.
Bit of a Grandads pub, but you didn't have to queue for ages to get served. :)

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Lord Bracknell said:
There used to be a cider house in Edward Street called the Alliance. Scrumpy was 1s 4d a pint when I last went there (less than 7p, since you ask).
/B]

That was a colourful place. The problem was that the scrumpy was so strong that after three pints I'd be well on my way.

I know that I'm in old git world but I get sad about Brighton losing its identity with the closing of the Quadrant, the gentrification of pubs like the Sussex Yeoman and the Belle Vue and all the silly name changes. I'll pour myself a pint of old fart and get my slippers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was one along Lewes Road opposite the old barracks (the Royal Hussar?) that's now gone and just further along was the Alexandra, next to the old Arches - now a software shop I believe.
And as TLO points out, the Elephant is now no more. Isn't the Dog Tray now some trendy bar, as is the old Richmond Tavern and, I think, the Buccaneer.

Actually, thinking about it, Brighton hasn't lost too many watering holes. Some old-fashioned pubs have been trendified and got some ridiculous name changes, but they're still there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gwylan said:
There was one along Lewes Road opposite the old barracks (the Royal Hussar?) that's now gone and just further along was the Alexandra, next to the old Arches - now a software shop I believe.

I think there is astill a pub where the Hussar's was. It's now called the Lectern or The Magic Lectern. Something like that.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Dropkick Turnip said:
The Old Vic on Ship Street. Used to be a great live music pub and now it's O'Neill's :(

Great boozer..older brother used to work there, and sneak me in to watch bands that i didn't really appreciate enough at the time..seem to remember Levelers, SLF, and The Cult but could be wrong..

That street used to be great with Henekey's and Smugglers too.

Henekey's -> Henry's -> what now ?

Smugglers still there ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
I think there is astill a pub where the Hussar's was. It's now called the Lectern or The Magic Lectern. Something like that.

Isn't the Lectern where the Cock and Bottle was?

The pub that was the Old Vic and Flanagan's was of course the pub where the Albion was founded.

D

Deleted User X18H

Two near me the Springfield and the Stamford now the Open House (ok) and Circus Circus (dire) at least the Engineer is better than the Argyle leave the Railway (ditchling rise) the Cobblers alone please trendy pub chain people

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I miss the grab a granny nights at Shellys

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Also The Ship on Lewes road...

Strip at the Ship on saturday nights..!

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Nobby Nomates said:
The volunteer. The first pub in Brighton to be 'Zel'ed :(

Turned from a decent boozer into a shithole staffed by wankers who act as if they're doing you a favour by selling you a pint of piss poor lager for £3-odd.

What a great pub that was with a superb juke box. Was really disappointed to see that it had been trendified a few years ago.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Yeah Strip at the Ship!
Me and my best mate used to try and look through the window when we were 13 year olds but never saw anything. There are a lot of pubs that had died due to these crap theme style pubs, all they serve is crap Fosters or alcho pops but luckily we still have Harveys.:drink: :drink: :drink:

:clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2:

Lush

Mods' Pet
I used to go to the Alhambra and the Buccaneer to see bands, but being underage and broke I never bought a drink - just about found my 50p entrance money and then walked home all the way up Dyke Road to Withdean.

My parents had this agreement where I was allowed to stay out until 12 or even 1am. They would set an alarm for the agreed time (which meant they didn't have to wait up for me) and if I wasn't in to turn it off it would wake the whole house! The amount of times I was legging it down my road, with seconds to spare....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here