Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton pubs that are no longer there

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Gwylan said:
Isn't the Lectern where the Cock and Bottle was?

The Royal Hussar became theCock and Bottle which became The Lectern
Other pubs that have gone:
The White Admiral in Bevendean
Harrisons,which sold draught Merrydown, was on Kings Road near Dr Brightons
The Red Lion in Queens Park Road

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
2 more that have gone:
The Galleon,which was next to the Regent cinema in Queens Rd.(Where Boots stands now)
The Clarence Hotel ,which was in North St. opposite entrance to Bond St.-This was a lovely old-fashioned inn which had a huge log fire in Winter.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Is the Lamb and Flag still there, by Churchill Square? I think it used to be in the Good Beer Guide. And going back to the Historic Brighton thing, there was a sign on a wall quite close to the L and F saying North Street. Did North Street continue on beyond the Clock Tower before Churchill Square was built or did it always end up at the Clock Tower?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Is the Lamb and Flag still there, by Churchill Square? I think it used to be in the Good Beer Guide. And going back to the Historic Brighton thing, there was a sign on a wall quite close to the L and F saying North Street. Did North Street continue on beyond the Clock Tower before Churchill Square was built or did it always end up at the Clock Tower?

Nah, its now called "The Easy Bar", never been in there but it looks a bit ponsy.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Gwylan said:
I remember the name but where exactly was The Ship?

in what <was/is still?> the polytechnic car park opposite halfords/currys/some bed linen store.

ok how about another one...RAINS which was along the seafront circa...1986/7 between middle and ship streets.

Could always buy 1 portion of chips and unlimited beer till 2 am between the whole group.. believe me..that was a winner back then..!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
not strictly pubs but, What about:

the bar opposite bartholemew sq, where Andy crock used to play..

The zap with one arch...(come on show your age...!)

oriana's with Big black Cox playing full on tech house..

monty's on montpelier st/rd

the restoration, on east st (one of the first bars to play early house music)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rowdey said:
in what <was/is still?> the polytechnic car park opposite halfords/currys/some bed linen store.

Of course. I thought that was the Cock and Bottle. Sam's Dad is quite right: C&B and the Hussar are one and the same.

I've thought of another one. Anyone remember the late night bar under the Heart and Hand on East Street. It stayed open until 1.00 and got round the licensing laws by serving sandwiches (free of charge).

What bliss it was to drink Harvey's after midnight; we went for simple pleasures then.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Nobby Nomates said:
The volunteer. The first pub in Brighton to be 'Zel'ed :(

Turned from a decent boozer into a shithole staffed by wankers who act as if they're doing you a favour by selling you a pint of piss poor lager for £3-odd.

Always used to meet there for our Friday nights out on the town. The landlord Dave Goodchild?

Aaah halycon days.

:drink:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
The Lamb & Flag was a great old boozer, now sadly gone.
The Full Moon has recently been tuned into a wine bar type thing.
The Elephant & castle London Road.

Still, at least the Park Crescent Inn is still there, a good example of survival of a 'proper' local.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dropkick Turnip said:
The Old Vic on Ship Street. Used to be a great live music pub and now it's O'Neill's :(

I remember the 4 Guns playing in there, great Brighton PUNK band !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here