Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Palace Rivalry

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
10th biggest rivalry in the country apparently according to the Football Rivalries Report 2008, published recently by the New Football Pools from information gathered from more than 6,000 members of the Football Fans Census.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/15/sfnwba115.xml

1. Wolves v WBA
2. Ipswich v Norwich
3. Liverpool v Man U
4. Pompey v Saints
5. Cardiff v Swansea
6. Aston Villa & Birmingham
7. Sheffield United & Sheffield Wednesday
8. Bristol Rovers & Bristol City
9. Newcastle & Sunderland
10. Brighton & Crystal Palace
11. Derby & Nottingham Forest
12. Blackpool & Preston
13. Darlington & Hartlepool
14. Luton & Watford
15. Blackburn & Burnley
16. Port Vale & Stoke
17. Arsenal & Tottenham
18. Grimsby & Scunthorpe
19. Everton & Liverpool
20. Leeds & Man United
21. Chester & Wrexham
22. Chesterfield & Mansfield
23. Northampton & Peterborough
24. Bury & Rochdale
25. Man City & Man United
26. Coventry & Leicester
27. Millwall & West Ham
28. Accrington Stanley & Morecambe
29. Colchester & Southend
30. Macclesfield & Stockport

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Little surprised that Arsenal vs Spurs is only 17th.

At least I know they have a rivalry, wheras Wolves vs West Brom... well, yeah, I'd guess they do, being neighbours and all, but it's not exactly well-known in the wider football world is it.

Jan 30, 2008
Little surprised that Arsenal vs Spurs is only 17th.

At least I know they have a rivalry, wheras Wolves vs West Brom... well, yeah, I'd guess they do, being neighbours and all, but it's not exactly well-known in the wider football world is it.
sound to me that you know f*** all then ,leave it to the clubs involved ,as was said this subject has been discussed:dunce:

Jan 30, 2008
Hmm. I'd love to know the criteria they used.

???
maybe its on a survey of fans that come from the towns and cities involved, in man utd case hardly any from manchester so in at 25 it is then

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hmm. I'd love to know the criteria they used.

???
I agree with your sentiments regarding suspicions over the criteria they used, but I don't think it's fair to pull up that example just because the latter two are smaller clubs.

I have a problem with the fact that Man Utd appear in three different entries! I'd have thought that the point of a rivalry was that in order for it to be intense, if has to be a requited rivalry. Yet the fact that Man U feature three times seems to suggest that their support is fragmented over who they consider to be their biggest rivals.

To a less extent, the same applies to the WBA/Wolves and Villa/Brum examples. In actual fact, the closest ground to The Hawthorns is Villa Park and the closest ground to Villa Park is The Hawthorns. Consequently, there is a large section of both teams support that hates the other one more than their recognised arch-rivals.

And why the hell does Albion/Palace feature so highly? We've played them a grand total of FOUR times in two DECADES, and half their support seems to detest Millwall as much as our good selves anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So the poll is made up from one game ?
Considering that both Albion v Palace and West Ham v Millwall are quoted, there can't be many games used as evidence. And West Ham v Millwall is a stupid examply of a rivalry. That fixture has actually only ever been played 23 times competitively.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yup, a little curious isn't it, especially considering that many younger Palace fans consider Charlton to be bigger rivals than we are...mind you, many of our younger fans would probably pick Orient ahead of Palace...I guess we need to be playing them more often!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Is it fair to say that the WHU/Millwall rivalry is fairly focused on who has the 'hardest' fans as opposed to a genuine rivalry between the competetive aspects of each football team?

Jan 30, 2008
Is it fair to say that the WHU/Millwall rivalry is fairly focused on who has the 'hardest' fans as opposed to a genuine rivalry between the competetive aspects of each football team?
thats rubbish goes back to the krays and the richardsons gangland violence north and south of the thames

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here