Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Palace Rivalry

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
thats rubbish goes back to the krays and the richardsons gangland violence north and south of the thames

Think it goes back to the dockers strike of the 1920's.

Just found this

Anyway, have a look at this is suppose from the rival.com website..

This is definitely one of the most bitter rivalries in England, even though the two have rarely been in the same division at the same time. In the 20’s there was a rivalry between 2 shipyards, on either side of the Thames. The Millwall, London and Surrey docks, were Millwall and the Royal docks were west Ham and it was an excuse for a tear up. The 1926 strike took things on to a whole new level when West Ham were on strike and Millwall carried on working. They were rivals before a football had been kicked between them. Both clubs originated in East London, but Millwall FC moved to the other side of the Thames (South London) in 1910.

Millwall FC - West Ham United (4-1)
Nationwide League Division 1, 21 March 2004
Stadium : New Den
Attendance : 14.055

It's been a decade since I've been to see West Ham play at Millwall, and I hope it's another decade until I have to go again.

I rarely get nervous going to derbies, but on this occasion I have to admit that I was. The vehemence of the hatred both sets of fans feel for each other, magnified by the result, made it impossible to actually enjoy the game.

Games between West Ham and Millwall have been notoriously bad tempered since the bad old days of the 1970s, when hooliganism was a major problem in England. The fact that we hadn't played each other for ten years didn't lessen the almost unique (in London at least) sense of loathing the two sets
of supporters feel for each other.

This spilled over to the extent that the baiting by the home fans caused the West Ham fans to break up seats and
throw them at the Millwall fans, which led to police in riot gear and horses coming on to the edge of the pitch to stand between us and them, which is also something I'd never experienced at a football match before.

I've been to derby games, but never been caught up in a charge by my own fans towards the opposition. To some up the atmosphere in a single word, I would have to say simply that it was poisonous

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
The cresent at thornton heath was totalled
Yes it was.But only after the brighton "mob" that had been drinking there had broken a couple of windows in the duke of cambridge and then got chased inside by a mob of palace that arrived unexpectedly.:laugh:
"

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yes it was.But only after the brighton "mob" that had been drinking there had broken a couple of windows in the duke of cambridge and then got chased inside by a mob of palace that arrived unexpectedly.:laugh:
"

Too bloody right..same story as Brizzle City this season. No one takes liberties in Tauntaun Heet aye!

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
in a round about way ,were you there???
As you can see from my name we are on opposing sides.But that is it in a nut shell
No round about way at all.
I was having a quiet drink in the cambridge with a few mates (we are all too old for it now) and my son when all hell broke loose. We managed to keep your lot out of the pub by barracading the doors and then fortunately the palace lot arrived.Thank f*** for that as they did not want to stay outside(god knows why the beers shit)I remember we were sure the police had let this happen as nomally there are plenty of police outside this pub and that night there were none and they took ages to come.plenty were expecting early knocks but I have heard of none.

When we are discussing the Krays and the Richardsons Das Ruich is powder puff in comparison!!!:cute:

And the Kray 'company of friends' from the Hackney, Clerkenwell area were regulars at Leyton Orient - some 'ex' employees still frequent Brisbane Road. Never really thought of DR as being in the same league either.:D

Jan 30, 2008
As you can see from my name we are on opposing sides.But that is it in a nut shell
No round about way at all.
I was having a quiet drink in the cambridge with a few mates (we are all too old for it now) and my son when all hell broke loose. We managed to keep your lot out of the pub by barracading the doors and then fortunately the palace lot arrived.Thank f*** for that as they did not want to stay outside(god knows why the beers shit)I remember we were sure the police had let this happen as nomally there are plenty of police outside this pub and that night there were none and they took ages to come.plenty were expecting early knocks but I have heard of none.
the cambridge was staked out weeks in advance of the match, allegedly.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
So the poll is made up from one game ?
Millwall v West Ham is a nasty encounter!
What i was trying to say was you would be safer at that game due to the very heavy police presence.
Having said that i think the fixture means more to the fans that who wins off the park than on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Clearly you have never the rousing chant "shit on the baggies"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here