Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton manager Gus Poyet admits there could be a 'problem' if he is approached by C

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
:facepalm: hes not going to go to chelsea, spurs or any other big club anytime soon, he does not have the experience to manage the best teams yet maybe in 2 or 3 years time at least!

This, it's such a non-issue. And even if he did go it would be a long way off from being the end of our world. There are a lot of good managers out there (and by "out there" I don't just mean in the UK) and we are an increasingly attractive proposition for quality managers and I would be genuinly excited at the prospect of change.

Jul 20, 2003
Gus can flim-flam and shilly-shally over these matters ...... at the same time I would like to formally announce that I shall not be competing for Miss World (make of that what you will)

Oct 25, 2003
AVB was in his early 30s, didn't know Chelsea Footbal Club, didn't have a network of contacts in the English game AND cost an absolute fortune in compensation. It was a shocking appointment, always destined to end in tears. Appointing Gus as Chelsea boss at that time would also have been a leap of faith, but not to the same extent. And given the fact the incoming manager was going to have to oversee a transitional phase of the team it would have been easier for fans and players to take coming from a Chelsea man.

avb worked for chelsea under mourinho....and apparently the players don't respect di matteo who is surely as much of a chelsea man as gus (just what i've heard on the grapevine, might not be true)

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Like gus but wouldnt bother me like alot of people on here if he went, he is a good manager but were not shitty brighton struggling at the withdean at the bottom of league 1 with no money anymore. WHEN he goes(because evantaully he will) we have the potential to attract a very good manager.who wouldnt want to manage a decent championship side(possibly prem) with a 30000 sell out new stadium with a top class training/youth acadamy and a chairman with fianancial backing who isnt foreign. For the very first time in years things are looking really really good for us.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Shame Gus doesn't come out and say that he's very ambitious and that he sees taking Brighton into the Champions League as a much bigger challenge than going to Chelsea or Tottenham!
Also, agree with the poster above about how attractive we are these days. IF Gus goes and it's a BIG if, we'll have no problems in getting a high quality, high profile replacement.
Carry on as if you're normal 😄 All's well at The Albion.

Jul 20, 2003
That's a pity...thought you had a chance of winning...:smile::smile::smile:

when they changed the name to 'veet' I ended up buying shit loads of expensive laptops and sundry 'Apple' shit ... hence I'm far to hairy to even stand for Miss France

that and the cock and lack of tits

oh well

avb worked for chelsea under mourinho....and apparently the players don't respect di matteo who is surely as much of a chelsea man as gus (just what i've heard on the grapevine, might not be true)

Therein lies the problem with anybody taking on the Chelsea job without a great deal of experience, maturity and a proven track record at the highgest level eg someone like Gus Hiddink. The senior players have far too much influence and you can slowly see the club deteriorating all the time that continues and until those players retire or are cleared out Chelsea are on a downward spiral. Regardless of his previous association with the club Gus would have a major credibility issue with the players mafia at Chelsea which would probably lead to a short tenure as manager.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The question I'm more interested in, is whether there will be 'a problem' if, say, Villa, Everton, Newcastle or even Fulham or Norwich approach him in the future.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I posted this on another thread. Just as relevant here.

Any Managers tempted to move to another Club, from a Club where they have a sensible, sympathetic owner, should be tied to a chair and made to watch 4 year plan on a loop.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Thing is, Gus isn't going to be offered Spurs or Chelsea job yet. If we are a success and do manage to make it up to the Premiership in the next few years then he has less reason to move on. If we are not in the Premiership in a few years then he's not going to be quite such an appealing prospect to the Premiership clubs is he? And Bloom may decide to make a change if we're not progressing anyway.

Win win for us I'd say.

If you keep win-winning this season then I think Chelsea would see Poyet as experienced enough, with the bonus unlike AVB that he has dressing-room cred.

Remember he was with Leeds before Albion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Chelsea ST at work said as much as what Turienzo is saying in that at the moment Chelsea are effectively managing themselves. DiMatteo is just a "figurehead"

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If you keep win-winning this season then I think Chelsea would see Poyet as experienced enough, with the bonus unlike AVB that he has dressing-room cred.

Remember he was with Leeds before Albion.

Really though? After the AVB disaster there is zero chance of Ambramovich going for someone as inexperienced as Gus. Only a proven success at major levels will attract Roman's interest

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Let's hope that Gus stays long enough to see the Academy built and up and running because there is no doubt that the man has vision about how a football club should be structured and functioning. Once that job is done Tony Bloom's only problem in finding a replacement will be employing somebody who shares GP's philosophies of which there are a growing number. Not being disrespectful to previous managers but we're not a charity case any more, our requirements have changed and so has our profile. We always used to get shit-loads of applicants wanting the Albion job, even when we were struggling at Withdean, now, we'll be attracting a different calibre of manager(s).

I think we all want to see Gus lead us into the Prem and stay for a season or two before he moves on-if he doesn't, we're in great shape to attract good, ambitious people to finish the job Gus started.

Such a great time to be an Albion fan/supporter.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Lets also not forget that the interviewer had to ask the same question about 5 times in different ways before Gus finally said this. Its not like he wantonly released the story without some repeatedly desperate probing

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
At the Football League Awards he repeated a couple of times in his speech about how lucky he is to be at Brighton right now. No one makes a story out of that though!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
At the Football League Awards he repeated a couple of times in his speech about how lucky he is to be at Brighton right now. No one makes a story out of that though!

For the same reason that the news never says "£50b added to the value of FTSE stocks today", only ever "£50b wiped off shares today".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here