Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton manager Gus Poyet admits there could be a 'problem' if he is approached by C

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just the same sorry going round and round again. What would you say if someone asked you if you'd like a job in a much better company with an enormous pay rise?

All the time Gus talks about this and people get all uptight about it, he is responding to questions that he is being asked by journalists and gives an honest answer to. He doesn't call up Sky and say "Please can you print that I want the Chelsea job".

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Just the same sorry going round and round again. What would you say if someone asked you if you'd like a job in a much better company with an enormous pay rise?

All the time Gus talks about this and people get all uptight about it, he is responding to questions that he is being asked by journalists and gives an honest answer to. He doesn't call up Sky and say "Please can you print that I want the Chelsea job".

Absolutely this.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
He's already said somewhere that out of the two - he wouldn't go to one because his expereince there as a player was not enjoyable. I've got a feeling that it was Tottenham but I could be wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would struggle to say no to Chelsea if I was him as guaranteed serious money either with success or compensation if sacked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. For all those that say Chelsea would never ask Gus, I'd say it would have been less of a surprise than when Chelsea asked AVB a year ago.
2. The Albion are in a great place and if Gus left we'd have no problem attracting a quality manager.
3. There are still question marks over Gus - his judgement re the Suarez case, his inability to settle on his best XI. These are all things that will come with experience but in terms of where Chelsea and Spurs are there's no margin for misjudgements at all.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
1. For all those that say Chelsea would never ask Gus, I'd say it would have been less of a surprise than when Chelsea asked AVB a year ago.
2. The Albion are in a great place and if Gus left we'd have no problem attracting a quality manager.
3. There are still question marks over Gus - his judgement re the Suarez case, his inability to settle on his best XI. These are all things that will come with experience but in terms of where Chelsea and Spurs are there's no margin for misjudgements at all.

1. That's crap, Gus had won League One, AVB had won the portugese league and the Europa Cup and his win rate was incredible. I know it's very much a one team league but not losing all year takes some doing, even the likes of Man C lost to Swansea, after all.

2. Agreed, and the reason I'm not stressed about Poyet leaving.

3. Agreed, he can be naive but learning.

If he got asked by Chelsea of course he'd leave. I like any other person would leave a perfectly happy job so long as it meant a significant pay increase. The thing is, Chelsea wont be interested in the slightest, they are talking about Mourinho and Gaurdiola whom Poyet doesn't bear comparison with at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, this was a non-story. And then the non-story was re-printed.

And now, shock horror, the non-story has been re-printed again. Which means it's now...

a non-story.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Would Tottenham or Chelsea want him right now? All he's really done is take a mediocre league one team to a good Championship side. Yes for us it's amazing but whether he could hack it in the Premier League is questionable. He's still young and he's still learning. We al love him as a manager but he still makes mistakes. Not yet, Gus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rubbish.
I agree, but I'd still be bothered as it takes time for a manager to get the team to play the way he wants, and get the team to believe in the manager. I also really like the way Gus has the team playing. It's certainly not the only way to play, others may be more successful, but for the level we're at I do enjoy our style.
3. There are still question marks over Gus - his judgement re the Suarez case, his inability to settle on his best XI.
Rubbish again. What he said about Suarez has not negatively affected our team's performance. If anything, it says he will stand by his players (even ones that aren't his yet). And of course he's not settled on his best 11, our team has changed loads. El Abd came back, we've just brought in two new full back, we've got a couple of new midfielders and a new striker, and our best player is rarely fit so pops in and out of the squad. Not even accounting for the fact that Gus wanted to give last year's champions a chance, it's hardly a fault that the side keeps changing.
These are all things that will come with experience but in terms of where Chelsea and Spurs are there's no margin for misjudgements at all.
Agreed, they should be looking for someone with a proven record at the top level.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. That's crap, Gus had won League One, AVB had won the portugese league and the Europa Cup and his win rate was incredible. I know it's very much a one team league but not losing all year takes some doing, even the likes of Man C lost to Swansea, after all.

AVB was in his early 30s, didn't know Chelsea Footbal Club, didn't have a network of contacts in the English game AND cost an absolute fortune in compensation. It was a shocking appointment, always destined to end in tears. Appointing Gus as Chelsea boss at that time would also have been a leap of faith, but not to the same extent. And given the fact the incoming manager was going to have to oversee a transitional phase of the team it would have been easier for fans and players to take coming from a Chelsea man.

Kenny Dalglish is doing something similar at Liverpool and nobody gives him any shit, even though if they lose to Everton the Blues go above them and they drop to 8th.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What an idiot. Who in their right mind would want to manage Spurs or Chelsea ahead of the Albion :facepalm: Gus out! :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rubbish again. What he said about Suarez has not negatively affected our team's performance. If anything, it says he will stand by his players (even ones that aren't his yet). And of course he's not settled on his best 11, our team has changed loads. El Abd came back, we've just brought in two new full back, we've got a couple of new midfielders and a new striker, and our best player is rarely fit so pops in and out of the squad. Not even accounting for the fact that Gus wanted to give last year's champions a chance, it's hardly a fault that the side keeps changing.
Agreed, they should be looking for someone with a proven record at the top level.

But it's not just about the team's performance, it's about a piss poor misjudgement where he let personal loyalty blind himself to the reality of the fact he was trying to defend the indefensible and, in doing so linking the good name of the club to a massive story in a highly negative light. For me it's Gus's low point as Albion manager.

As for chopping and changing the 1st XI, I wouldn't say he's had any more or less injury and suspension than the norm but I do think we've dropped points along the way because he's got his starting selection wrong, i.e Cardiff at home to cite a recent example.

CMS isn't scoring, Vokes got subbed, Vicente has been fit in recent games but hasn't figured, players like Lua Lua and Buckley have played well then been dropped and it's difficult to predict who will start and who will be on the bench re midfield and attack from one match to the next.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it's not just about the team's performance, it's about a piss poor misjudgement where he let personal loyalty blind himself to the reality of the fact he was trying to defend the indefensible and, in doing so linking the good name of the club to a massive story in a highly negative light. For me it's Gus's low point as Albion manager.
If you ask people about BHAFC, they won't link us with racism, so his comments haven't hurt our club at all. The Suarez Evra thing kicked off at old trafford, and even twat blatter said they should just shake hands, so no one apart from us knows much about Poyet sticking up for his fellow countryman.

As for chopping and changing the 1st XI, I wouldn't say he's had any more or less injury and suspension than the norm but I do think we've dropped points along the way because he's got his starting selection wrong, i.e Cardiff at home to cite a recent example.
I disagree.

CMS isn't scoring, Vokes got subbed, Vicente has been fit in recent games but hasn't figured, players like Lua Lua and Buckley have played well then been dropped and it's difficult to predict who will start and who will be on the bench re midfield and attack from one match to the next.
It being difficult for opposing managers to predict what they'll be up against is a good thing. Other than that our manager either hasn't got a f***ing clue what he's doing and the idiots in the stands that don't watch the training sessions know more, or our manager is excellent and knows what he's doing. I think it probably the latter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And given the fact the incoming manager was going to have to oversee a transitional phase of the team it would have been easier for fans and players to take coming from a Chelsea man.

Kenny Dalglish is doing something similar at Liverpool and nobody gives him any shit, even though if they lose to Everton the Blues go above them and they drop to 8th.
You're comparing Kenny at Liverpool to Gus at Chelsea. Give me a break.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I'm less worried about Chelsea and Tottenham but more worried about Zaragoza. They are languishing in the bottom 1/4 of La Liga and could well come calling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here