Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove City Council election results

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Voters had no choice if they didn't want to vote Labour or Tory because a vote for the LibDems would be totally wasted. Across the country the LibDems have lost half of their councillors.

This isn't the first election that the Greens have won or done well locally.

2008 Council election - second largest group on the council
2009 European election - won the popular vote in Brighton
2010 General election - won Brighton Pavilion constituency
2011 Council election - largest group on the council

Protest votes are just that - protests. This is a strong and growing vote in Brighton. And now in Hove.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
This isn't the first election that the Greens have won or done well locally.

2008 Council election - second largest group on the council
2009 European election - won the popular vote in Brighton
2010 General election - won Brighton Pavilion constituency
2011 Council election - largest group on the council

Protest votes are just that - protests. This is a growing vote in Brighton. And now in Hove.

Of course it's not a protest vote. It's a lifestyle one. It's the reason why people move to Brighton, why they shop at Vegetarian Shoes and Infinity Foods, why they dine at Bills and Terre a Terre. It fits with the lifestyle choice people make. It's why the Greens don't do well in the poorer areas of Brighton - there's no sizeable migration to these places (yet) away from the Muesli Mountain and North Laines in the East and the Hove seafront in the west.

It's also why most people don't have a frigging clue what they vote for when they vote Green other than a warm fluffy feeling that no kittens died when they cast their vote for those nice organic, carbon-neutral candidates.

I dare say that you, TLO, will disagree but I've yet to meet too many people who actually know what the Greens really stand for other than a vague notion of community-awareness.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We have been very lucky with our timing. If these election results had been a few years ago, no stadium.

Yes indeed.
The problem with the greens is that they talk a lot about scientific issues yet none seem to have science backgrounds. Lucas has a degree in Eng. Lit. As for being a progressive party, today has been a good day for the B&H nimby tendency.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We have been very lucky with our timing. If these election results had been a few years ago, no stadium.

I thought the Lib Dem member was against it, the Greens were merely concerned and went along with the Council's decision.

Anyway, some words from a happy leader:

Brighton Pavilion MP and leader of the Green Party of England and Wales, Caroline Lucas, said:

"This is a fantastic result. I am delighted that the voters of Brighton and Hove have once again made history, by voting in the Greens as the largest party on the council.

"The fact that we held all our seats and gained 10 - with a total of 23 - shows more than ever the scale of Green support in the city.

"We have offered people a positive and progressive alternative to the older political parties, and they have welcomed it.

"Our councillors are determined to get the best possible deal for Brighton and Hove in these difficult times.

"And with all the results in, now is the moment for Greens to reach out to the many different groups - community organisations, businesses, unions and others - and local residents so that together, we can find the best solutions for this great city."

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

So what do you think a Green led council would have said to Dick Knight and Martin Perry in 1998/98. f*** Off I expect!

Before you/we get side tracked any further by that fuckwit Hodges, you might like to know that the Green councillors on the planning committee ALL voted for the revised stadium application in 2009.

We'd still be at Withdean. Although I wonder who the Catt voted for?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I am just so glad I moved away years ago!

What a sad place Brighton has become voting for scum like the tree hugging greens.

I can see why you'd call them scum. seeing as how they've spent the last year closing down supported housing, care homes, help for the vulnerable, adding 9k per year to student fees, tried to close down the health service, plus so much more. That is certainly the handiwork of scum.

Oh wait a minute that's two other parties that did that, two parties that well and truly got stuffed yesterday. Wondering why?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Greens only fielded 1 candidate in the local council elections in North East Lincolnshire , she polled 86 votes and finished in 5th place in that ward. Brighton & Hove is an anomaly compared to the rest of the country.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Of course it's not a protest vote. It's a lifestyle one. It's the reason why people move to Brighton, why they shop at Vegetarian Shoes and Infinity Foods, why they dine at Bills and Terre a Terre. It fits with the lifestyle choice people make. It's why the Greens don't do well in the poorer areas of Brighton - there's no sizeable migration to these places (yet) away from the Muesli Mountain and North Laines in the East and the Hove seafront in the west.

It's also why most people don't have a frigging clue what they vote for when they vote Green other than a warm fluffy feeling that no kittens died when they cast their vote for those nice organic, carbon-neutral candidates.

I dare say that you, TLO, will disagree but I've yet to meet too many people who actually know what the Greens really stand for other than a vague notion of community-awareness.

Whilst i disagree with the tone, there is more than a grain of truth in this.

When I left Hove in 1983, The Tories had just lost control of Brighton council for the first time ever, and Hove had 2 Labour councillors. Now when I come down I feel like I'm visiting a totally different city. It used to have an air of deep blue washed conservatism. Now it feels like a vibrant exciting trendy town filled with people who have no real idea of the problems working people face, and don't really wish to be bothered by it, because they're too busy being self righteous about the future of the planet and associated causes.

Please don't get me wrong, I think this is an improvement on blue washed conservatism. a Green/Labour coalition probably does best reflect the majority of residents in Brighton and Hove, and good luck to them. I even share some of the concerns that they are so self righteous about. Somehow though whether it be blue washed conservatives or trendy well meaning liberals, I can't help noticing its the same people getting f***ed by them

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fantastic result. Take that Tim Nice But Dim and your old skool politics! You'd better put your recyling bins out now and rinse out ALL of your merlot bottles or Caroline will be paying you a private visit in BN2.5 or whever you live!!

Dandyman

In London village.
Yes indeed.
The problem with the greens is that they talk a lot about scientific issues yet none seem to have science backgrounds. Lucas has a degree in Eng. Lit. As for being a progressive party, today has been a good day for the B&H nimby tendency.

I'll look forward to debating this with you tomorrow, Old Chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here